Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, guys I need some help. I'm ready to pull the trigger on purchasing a SCUT and I have it narrowed down to a Kubota BX2370 or a John Deere 1025R. The options I want are 60" mower deck, and loader. I have test drove both units and they are both really nice. Each of them appear to have their own advantages. I am really leaning towards the 1025R. I was really impressed with all of the features and especially the drive over deck, larger 53" quick attach bucket, and the 3 point position control. The BX2370 hydraulic loader felt a little smoother to operate and it allows you to move and curl the bucket at the same time where the 1025R you could only do one at a time. I felt the 1025R has the advantage in loader lift capacity and larger bucket. The BX is only a 48" bucket and quick attach add's another $250 or so to the price. When I had the Kubota throttle all he way down to idle speed I curled the bucket on the ground to lift the front wheels off the ground and it couldn't do it unless I gave it more throttle RPM's. With the 1025R I had it running at idle speed with the lowest RPM's I could and it cranked the front wheels right off the ground. It just felt more stout to me! The 1025R has the 7 Iron deck (7 Gauge) and the Kubota mower deck just didn't feel as solid. The metal felt thinner and I didn't get a straight answer out of the salesman for what gauge it is.

Ok, so next I compaired prices. At first JD quoted me $2300 higher for the 1025R. So, I was getting ready to sign for the Kubota then that same day one of the JD dealers I was getting prices from came down and matched the Kubota's price! I was shocked they came down that much but he said the pricing came from a higher level and JD doesn't want to loose out to Kubota. Then Kubota drops another $300 that their territory manager is kicking in.

I have my personal feelings and like the JD better in many regards but the Kubota salesman is telling me that JD has too much plastic and that the loader is bulky to operate. He says that the Kubota engine is better than Yanmar which I don't really believe any of it.

What do you guys think that have or have owned both? The 1025R I was quoted has the H120 Loader and 60D deck. Is the 1025R the better deal here for ultimately only $300 more?

·
Administrator
17,958 Posts
Welcome to GTT.

The included features (as you mentioned) of the JD make it the winner in my book, things like:
-3PH position control
-JDQA bucket (thats easy to mount hooks to!) Forks and grapples are readily available making the machine more versatile
-loader joystick location
-hydro pedal location
-super easy MMM and FEL attachment
-included worklights
-dual curl cylinders on the loader
-We will let you keep your GTT membership and enjoy our company:laugh:

I hate salespeople that feel the need to talk down the competitor.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,435 Posts
Tough choice. Which dealer do you like better and/or has the better reputation?

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
You know what they say, Go Green or go home. ? I'd say go with your gut. I wanted a JD so that's what I got. That doesn't really help you here, but my gut said go with the 1 Series over the X and I did. Never looked back! Are you looking at financing? JD has a really nice 0% deal going on all the time. Even if you have the cash you can always pick up a couple attachments and just use JD's $$ interest free for a while. If you do buy a JD see if they'll throw in the first 50 hr service. Save you $200 maybe more.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

·
Registered
892 Posts
If you go to kubota, I would use a different sales guy.. By saying this part is better than theirs to try to get at he sale just isn't right. He should sell you on their features and upgrades.

I know I'm very impressed with my little yanmar.

The rest though, don't let a few hundred bucks change your decision, how many years are you going to have this? Looks to me like price is now immaterial right?

$.02

Good luck with your decision and welcome to GTT. ;)

Jim

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You know what they say, Go Green or go home.  I'd say go with your gut. I wanted a JD so that's what I got. That doesn't really help you here, but my gut said go with the 1 Series over the X and I did. Never looked back! Are you looking at financing? JD has a really nice 0% deal going on all the time. Even if you have the cash you can always pick up a couple attachments and just use JD's $$ interest free for a while. If you do buy a JD see if they'll throw in the first 50 hr service. Save you $200 maybe more.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

Yes, I would be financing part of it and they both offer 0% for 60 months right now. What makes the JD so tempting is the dealer basically came down to his cost just to beat Kubota. He had to get approval from the owner of the dealership. I've always owned John Deere and love them, but I have friends that have Kubota and love those too.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,435 Posts
I personally can not get past the controls on the Kubota not to mention locations.
Not sure I care for the radiator in front of the steering wheel column not to mention the radiator grill just behind the steering wheel column.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I literally just bought a 1025R 60D MMM H120 FEL iMatch hitch and a BB2060 box blade - delivered this past thursday (in the rain!)

I looked at every color of SCUT out there today, researched them all (read almost every post on GTT and other forums) - came down
to operator comfort ...hate the toe heel hydro controls, wanted tilt steering (I am 6'6" and my wife is 5' nothing on her tip toes), deluxe seat, lighting, quick attach everything (>50yrs old = work smarter not harder)

I have owned red and orange in the past - this is my first green - not much seat time yet but with all of the current incentives, a great dealer in my neck of the woods for support, and the real (or perceived) ability of green to hold their resale value ( or maybe green fans are just willing to pay - either way works) - I feel like JD wins

The ability to add more tools to the FEL was a huge plus on this machine - but that is only a plus if you intend to use more tools

Hope any of the above ramblings help - good luck on your decision

·
Registered
363 Posts
Good luck whatever tractor you choose! I have a 1026R and I have it because it is very easy to remove the MMM and attach the FEL. I prefer the ergonomics of the JD. My dealer's service dep't is very good and have treated me well. The tiller, i-match, and snowblower have worked very well. This forum has been extremely helpful to me and others to learn about the use of this tractor and how to maintain it. I wish you well with your decision!

·
Premium Member
14,716 Posts
I personally can not get past the controls on the Kubota not to mention locations.
Not sure I care for the radiator in front of the steering wheel column not to mention the radiator grill just behind the steering wheel column.
Same as above , when using the loader ,controls right at your lap , why reach to the hood all day when you can be comfortable.
May have missed if Kennyd mentioned. Is the Deere priced with hyd lift on mower deck, I'm guess Orange doesn't offer this ?
I haven't stopped at Orange dealer since first Deere 10 -12 yrs ago.
My opinion the loader controls, 3 pt position control, hdy cooling now in front of radiator, the foot pedals are worth the $300.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm relatively new to my 1025R (~3 months) but I am very happy so far. I think Deere also just increased their discount to $1250 for attachments when buying a package too. I wish this had been the case when I bought. I was interested in buying a box blade and 3 point snow blower but ended up just going with the tractor/loader/mmm. That is my only regret is not buying it all together. If I could offer one piece of advice it would be to get the complete package you want and take advantage of any discounts they are offering. Even without the package discounts, the prices they will offer you later won't compare to the prices you can get buying a package.

The value of this particular forum is also intangible. Like you, I used this site before buying and just as much after. I am positive I've saved trips back to the dealer with stupid questions. I think most of us bought these machines from dealers that are used to big farm customers who spend big bucks regularly. It can sometimes be tough to get them to listen to guys with sub compact size machines. If you do a little research, and can walk in with a more knowledge about a potential problem, I think they tend to listen a bit more.

·
Registered
709 Posts
I have a 1025TLB. I loved the ease of attaching and disconnecting the backhoe. I know you are not planning on a BH, but as several others found out, you never know what you want to add later. It seems Deere was very well aware of the end user when they designed the layout of the controls and changing implements.

Do not overlook the difference on the 3 point hitch and being able to directly set your implement and hold it at the height you need.

The plastic body parts you hear competers complain about we're an advantage too me. I like to keep my equipment as new looking as possible over time. I have seen many steel rusted out body pannels later in the life of other tractors. That is not a concern on my little Deere.

This tractor has been one of the better purchases I have made on equipment over the years. I have been very pleased with it and would happily make the same decision if I had to do it again.

Besides: I JUST PLAIN LOVE THE COLOR GREEN! And that is not because of John Deere.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Kubota vs JD

I went through the same concerns/questions as you did, about a year ago. Thus, that started me on a full comparison of the two, to find out everything from which brand would retain its value over time, to which brand was best built for my needs. Even the Kubota price was just a bit better, when all said and done, I selected JD for such things as ease of servicing, strength of the build on such things as the FEL (one hydraulic cylinder vs two) and much more. That said, two things: the JD is not perfect, and don't overstep the limits of your machine. Abuse to any machine will have its consequences regardless of the brand. For me, the value was in the JD.

·
Registered
35 Posts
welcome.....the fact that you are here is encouraging. from the sounds of it, it seems like you are leaning towards Green already. I always wanted a little Kubota but got into JD because of the financing available. before I took the plunge, I did a lot of research and it seemed that while the Kubota had good little machines, JD had some Great little machines. Control location and operation played a big part. I had a Kubota lawn mower that was rock solid for a number of years and really influenced my opinion of the Kubota line. I wanted a BX series tractor for years because of that but when it came down to getting one, JD was the better fit for me. Either way, I'm sure you will be satisfied. My neighbor, across the road, has a similar size Kubota with a backhoe and I drool over it....the backhoe, not the tractor. Good luck on your choice. Go sit on them again and play with the controls before you decide. I haven't looked back and am glad I got the Green :greentractorride:

·
Registered
4,403 Posts
Green vs Orange vs Blue vs Red, it's always a tough question, they are all good tractors, but it boils down to which you personally feel better with or sitting on/using. Earlier posts have covered much of the advantages and disadvantages of different tractors, so I won't repeat.

As I get more experience with my tractor, which happens to be green, dealer service seems to come up more often. The next time I'm in the market for a tractor, I will ask if the dealer would agree to transport it for free for any warranty related service or possibly scheduled service that I want the dealer to perform within the warranty period. Or if they would do the service at my home. And I'll have them write it into the purchase agreement.

I don't own a truck or trailer and really don't need one very often, so it's probably not going to be in my near future plans. In my 2 year ownership, I have had some warranty issues that the dealer had to correct. Within the first 2 months, the dealer picked it up and delivered it back home, no problem. Later in the warranty period, they said "Sorry, JD doesn't cover transport, only the parts and labor for warranty repairs. You'll have to bring it in or we can transport for a charge". Their transport charge for both 5 mile trips was over $250. That's not what I thought I signed up for. I ended up asking a good friend for the transport, but I hate to impose on others too often.

I've heard on GTT that some dealers will transport for free while under warranty, some won't. It would be good to know up front.

Other than transport, my dealer has been great.

Just my 2 cents. Good luck with whatever you choose.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
The BX2370 hydraulic loader felt a little smoother to operate and it allows you to move and curl the bucket at the same time where the 1025R you could only do one at a time.
You can operate both at the same time on the 1025r, just takes a bit of finesse - I do it all the time.

The 60D mower deck consistently gets rave reviews, not to mention the drive over and auto connect features. I have no idea if the Kubota mower deck is as highly regarded.

When I compared the Kubota against the Deere I concluded that the Kubota was built more lightly than the Deere. The difference in price was much less than I expected - you know those comments, "you are paying for green paint", as it turns out, not really relevant. The Kubota was cheaper but then you had to add/upgrade things to bring it up to match the Deere.

·
Super Moderator
2,707 Posts
As was mentioned, anytime a dealer starts to bad mouthed a competitive brand, it's time to buy the competition. Go around to the different lawn & garden stores, and you're be surprised how much Deere's competition feels it necessary to point out what HE THINKS is wrong with a John Deere, instead of pointing out features in his brand.

Kubota versus John Deere, Ford versus Chevy, it all comes down to what you feel more comfortable with when you're on the machine, operating it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You can operate both at the same time on the 1025r, just takes a bit of finesse - I do it all the time.

The 60D mower deck consistently gets rave reviews, not to mention the drive over and auto connect features. I have no idea if the Kubota mower deck is as highly regarded.

When I compared the Kubota against the Deere I concluded that the Kubota was built more lightly than the Deere. The difference in price was much less than I expected - you know those comments, "you are paying for green paint", as it turns out, not really relevant. The Kubota was cheaper but then you had to add/upgrade things to bring it up to match the Deere.

Your right I haven't heard much good or bad about the Kubota deck but I have heard very good things about the 7 Iron. In fact I used to own a JD 717A ZTR and it had a 48" 7 Iron and I loved the way it cut. That deck was built like a tank.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok, I decided for sure I'm going with the 1025R guys! :) I just got off the phone with the local dealer and he dropped his price a bit more to get the deal closed. Does $14,450.00 sound like a good deal with the H120 loader and 60" deck? I don't see any used 1025R's at that price! I think there is a pretty big war brewing behind the scenes between Kubota and John Deere for the SCUT market. Just last month I had a couple dealers telling me $16,800 but when I told them I was seriously considering the Kubota prices started dropping fast and from what the salesman told me it went to a higher lever from John Deere to get that price dropped. His comment was "John Deere doesn't want to see you go to Kubota".

1 - 20 of 52 Posts