Premium Member
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
sent from my cell via tapatalk

·
Premium Member
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I thought you guys might be interested in some of the things I see as a JD road tech.
This is a 2030 water pump radiator job near Mennith, MO.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,698 Posts
Yes, we are very interested. Looks like it was a nice day to work outside. How long does a job like that take?

·
Registered
280 Posts
not stealing this thread but i too am a john deere local tech. i dont do alot of field service but i do alot of in-house (more like in shop) work. just curious what is your service truck... ours is a 2002 f-350 with a utility body

·
Premium Member
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Randy, It was a beautiful day. I was there for about 3 hours plus 1 1/2 hours travel.

·
Premium Member
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Jfoi, that is a 1997 F-superduty, 7.3, 5-speed, 11 foot bed.173000 miles. Good to see some techs online.

·
Premium Member
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Making room for new photos on my phone. I figured I'd share these before they got deleted. These are all machines that have been subjected to my ministrations. Let the questioning begin. Lol.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here's a few more. I've got a bunch of scenery shots, too. I won't upload those, unless requested.

Attachments

·
Registered
14,385 Posts
Great pictures. I enjoy seeing farm equipment. In northeastern PA, farming is all but extinct. My Dad was a JD dealer for 31 years. I tried but ended up with two heart attacks at age 42. Decided it wasn't for me. I like your service truck Kevin. Our service truck was a Jeep CJ-5 with the mechanic's tool box thrown in the back. I loved the parts and service work, but management was not for me.

·
Administrator
21,038 Posts
Great Stuff Kevin:thumbup1gif:

·
Premium Member
6,698 Posts
Thanks Kevin, keep'em coming. Looks like you have be able to think on your feet on some of these repairs. :good2:

·
Premium Member
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
DR, I agree with your assessment of management positions. We go through service managers pretty fast. I fill in when we are between mgrs. I would not be able to do it full time, either.

Randy, The "man on a dolly, behind gator" was not me. It was one of the other guys trying to identify a noise in the rear diff. It makes for a funny photo, though. The seat dangling from a rope was all me. I think that was a 6410 that blew a hose to the evaporator, which is under the seat. Those seats are very heavy and must be removed through the rear window. It saves some time if you can suspend it. The old firetruck was another A/C job. Had to run new hoses the entire length of that machine. The ferry boat had the old mechanically controlled 6.8 JD engines replaced with a pair of new Tier lll units. That was an interesting little project.

·
Premium Member
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This mornings adventure. This customer puts up about 5000 bales a day with these machines. Gotta keep them serviced.

Attachments

·
Registered
771 Posts
Thanks kjung for posting the pictures, I really enjoyed looking at them. Have you ever run across a snake or critter in a machine while working on one? :yahoo:

·
Premium Member
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Tackit, All of the time. I have worked alongside snakes, bunnies, mice, rats, frogs, bees, wasps and the occasional feline. A couple of years ago, I was called out to diagnose a dial-a-matic issue with a grain platform on a 9500 combine. While cleaning out the area between the skid and the bottom of the platform, I noticed a bit of fur. It turned out to be a live bunny. Keep in mind, this machine had just been combining! I brushed him off and set him down on the edge of the field. He sat there for a moment then bounded off into the tall grass.
I'm glad you enjoyed the photos. There will be plenty more. I am fortunate to be able to do what I do.

·
Premium Member
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Almost forgot to send this one. A little hydraulic pump/ brake job on an early 4020.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,698 Posts
Wow! Looks like you're up to your elbows on this one. Any idea what is on the lift in the background? And how is it supported? Just curious. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I think that's an L130 with a steering issue. I'm not sure of the name on the lift. We have 2 of them for mowers. It is, essentially, a mast from a fork lift with an electric hyd pump. They are VERY handy. We have dollies built that are about waist high to hold the decks from the mowers. Just lift the mower, with the deck in the lowest position, roll the dolly into place, lower the deck onto the dolly, disconnect the deck and you have easy access to almost all of the machine.

Yes, Randy. I'll take some pictures next time I get a chance. I'm sure you will take the idea and refine it. Can't wait to see what you come up with.:good2:

·
Premium Member
6,698 Posts
I think that's an L130 with a steering issue. I'm not sure of the name on the lift. We have 2 of them for mowers. It is, essentially, a mast from a fork lift with an electric hyd pump. They are VERY handy. We have dollies built that are about waist high to hold the decks from the mowers. Just lift the mower, with the deck in the lowest position, roll the dolly into place, lower the deck onto the dolly, disconnect the deck and you have easy access to almost all of the machine.

Yes, Randy. I'll take some pictures next time I get a chance. I'm sure you will take the idea and refine it. Can't wait to see what you come up with.:good2:
Thanks for the follow up info Kevin. I just like to see different ideas and sometimes it leads me to others. Sounds like your system is refined already, pretty slick. :good2: No hurry on the photos, I know you are knee deep in work.

·
Premium Member
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The lifts are very cool. I know you'll find a way to improve it. We hope to get a little breathing room at the shop soon. I got off at 5 today, after a short 9 hour day. It was my first day indoors in almost 2 weeks. And I've got two days off.... IN A ROW. I'm down to 12 machines on my honey do list, so things are looking up.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts