Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I get to move an entry in my signature from the "Just nee me..." section.

On the strength of several postings on the site I finally made the leap and ordered my Tektite cab today.

Included Heater and Defrost fan options of course and the Green JD paint

2 - 3 weeks for the Cab to arrive then schedule install with the local dealer.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
A lowly ole Minnesotan can keep up with a fat cat :gizmo: New Yorker???? What am I doing wrong? :banghead:

Besides, keeping up with him is just an illusion. Fishbait maxed out the character limit for his signature before he got it all listed.

I missed the boat on the Tektite cabs. I relied on the cab "sticky" on the MTF SCUT forum for my cab search. The link to Tektite is no longer valid, so I assumed they were out of business. The Cozy Cab I purchased appears to be very comparable short of no backhoe attaching with it in place. I plan to remove the cab in the summer months, so I don't think this is going to be a big issue.

Custom Products, who manufactures Cozy Cab, is less than a 20 minute drive from our other home. Originally, I was just going to pick the cab up at the plant this fall, when I was ready to install it, but the dealer drove over and picked it up as he wanted to lock the price in. The dealer agreed to store it until fall. Works for me. No freight either way.

What did you have to give for the Tektite? I was $4264.61, including tax, for the Cozy Cab with glass doors, front light kit (re-mounts fender work lamps to cab top), rear work lamp, interior mirror kit (wide, like a school bus interior mirror), door hold-open kit (holds doors partially open for ventilation), & heater kit. Comes standard with interior dome lamp.

Reactions: Levi and BigJim55

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A lowly ole Minnesotan can keep up with a fat cat :gizmo: New Yorker???? What am I doing wrong? :banghead:

Besides, keeping up with him is just an illusion. Fishbait maxed out the character limit for his signature before he got it all listed.

I missed the boat on the Tektite cabs. I relied on the cab "sticky" on the MTF SCUT forum for my cab search. The link to Tektite is no longer valid, so I assumed they were out of business. The Cozy Cab I purchased appears to be very comparable short of no backhoe attaching with it in place. I plan to remove the cab in the summer months, so I don't think this is going to be a big issue.

Custom Products, who manufactures Cozy Cab, is less than a 20 minute drive from our other home. Originally, I was just going to pick the cab up at the plant this fall, when I was ready to install it, but the dealer drove over and picked it up as he wanted to lock the price in. The dealer agreed to store it until fall. Works for me. No freight either way.

What did you have to give for the Tektite? I was $4264.61, including tax, for the Cozy Cab with glass doors, front light kit (re-mounts fender work lamps to cab top), rear work lamp, interior mirror kit (wide, like a school bus interior mirror), door hold-open kit (holds doors partially open for ventilation), & heater kit. Comes standard with interior dome lamp.

They ain't cheap. About half again that installed w/options

·
Registered
407 Posts
I get to move an entry in my signature from the "Just nee me..." section.

On the strength of several postings on the site I finally made the leap and ordered my Tektite cab today.

Included Heater and Defrost fan options of course and the Green JD paint

2 - 3 weeks for the Cab to arrive then schedule install with the local dealer.
Congrats on your new Tektite cab! You will not be disappointed with the fit, finish, and overall design of the cab.

I leave mine on in Summer but remove all glass except for windshield. This gives you a very "open" feeling and provides for sun shading. I often use the defroster fan to cool myself on hotter days.

I have found that although the cab raises the center of gravity somewhat, the additional 400lbs helps greatly with traction. I plowed all this winter with R4's and no chains and did not get stuck once.

Plowed 40+ hours on this past storm and stayed warm and dry hour after hour wearing comfy light clothing. I was so warm and comfortable that I lost track of time and ran out of diesel at 1:30AM. Luckily, I was only a hundred yards from my garage. Tractor started right up without hesitation after refueling. You can hear the fuel pump pressurizing the system when key is turned to ACC.

You will not regret buying this cab. You will truly appreciate it next winter for sure!

Good luck.:good2: P1000809.JPG

·
Registered
407 Posts
Actually, I am born and raised in Michigan! New York is just a temporary stopover.

This is true. I didn't have room for the wood chipper, flail mower, 66" snow bucket, FEL front mounted grading blade, or cool multi-pattern amber strobe lights.

I missed the boat on the Tektite cabs. I relied on the cab "sticky" on the MTF SCUT forum for my cab search. The link to Tektite is no longer valid, so I assumed they were out of business.
Tektite is very much in business! LINK: TEKTITE CABS

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cab arrived last night. Taking the machine in Monday night. Shops pretty busy being just about planting time but they're going to work it in.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cab is installed tractor is home, review writeup to follow

·
Registered
407 Posts
Cab is installed tractor is home, review writeup to follow
You won't be able to evaluate it properly until the snow flies next winter and you are snug in the cab.

Meanwhile, I am now in summer mode with the doors and back window removed. Roof is a great sunshade and the defroster fan works wonders keeping me cool and, more importantly, blowing the biting mayflies away.

Put 27 hours on it this week removing 2+ acres of invasive barberry bushes with the Artillian grapple.

But, this is your thread so I'll shut up and let you take it.

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
:ttiwwp: ..... how 'bout showin' it off a bit ?? :munch::munch:

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok Here's my thoughts: I love the cab... But there is room for improvement.

My first, and continuing, impression of the cab is it is a substantial piece of equipment. Being fully ROPS certified (upper bar of the factory ROPS is removed unlike some other cabs which leave the factory ROPS intact and are not ROPS certified replacements) this cab has a real heft and solid feel. Closing the doors sounds like a car. they close with authority. The visibility is EXCELLENT.

The cab is expensive no doubt but it is obvious why when comparing side by side with competitors as I did once mine arrived (the dealer had a cozy in stock). Here is how it arrived on a pallet from Tektite and some outside shots once mounted and home.
On Pallet.png Tektite 1025r TLB Front.jpg Tektite 1025r tlb Left.png

The upholstery on the ceiling of the cab and side panels is quiet think and nice. Here is a shot of the ceiling with the center switch console, and the left rear panel showing their solution to fuel filling, and a shot of the front mounted heater
tektite cab 1025r tlb Ceiling.png Tektite cab 1025r tlb Left rear panel Fuel Filler.png Tektite cab heater.png

The heater is a squirrel cage blower beneath a small what appears to be aluminum core with two adjustable via rotation round vents. There is only one fan speed and it is full heat all the time, no temperature control via either flow or blower speed. This probably won't matter to be honest as it is a pretty small heater.

The doors are all glass with a metal frame. They are held open via gas struts on the top of the door. The doors are attached via half pin barrel hinges so simply disconnect the strut and the lift right off.The latches on the doors are fairly substantial and are automotive pushbutton on the outside with lever release on the inside with a post style latches. They will flex if you pull hard with the doors latched (but seriously why would we do that?)
Tektite Cab Door Struts.png Tektite Cab Latch Cab Side.jpg Tektite Cab Latch Door Side.png

Up front around the pedals is tricky as you can imagine. As our pedals stick out past the floorboards Tektite has made some foot wells (well pedal wells really) to keep things somewhat sealed up (I'll get to that in a bit it's one of the few places Tektite falls short in my opinion and I will be addressing some of these shortcomings over the coming months)

Here you can see the pedal wells They are the black sheet metal and they attempt to seal around the pedals with a thick foam. It works.... to a degree. The foam sticks up and seems like it will wear fast I will be trying to find a better solution to seal up this area. There are a few holes you can see on these shots (Green on the left and white on the right) which are open to daylight and wind.
Tektite Left Side Pedal Well.jpg Tektite Right Side Pedal Well.jpg

The Brake side pedal well is not very well designed, or there have been changes in the 1 series that Tektite hasn't kept up with. There is a seal between the well and the tractor which as you can see below... doesn't seal to anything. The black plastic you see is the lower console and the green plastic is the side panel. If you look at the weather-strip you can see where it is wide open to the engine bay. It's a large multiple square inch hole right into the engine bay It certainly lefts in a breeze. Additionally the pedal barely clears the outside edge and top of the well You need to use your tiptoes on the brake pedal to stroke it down, not exactly the best thing in an emergency.
Left Side Sealing Gap.jpg

Here is a shot above the left pedal well showing where the cap over the hood, the pedal well, the cab and the console of the tractor come together. This is looking forward form the inside. Pretty large amount of daylight there. I'm sure I can tighten that up
Left Side Union Traffice Jam on cab.jpg

More to come....

·
Registered
231 Posts
The Tektite cab has been great for me, there are a few minor spots that I have tightened up, but cleaning snow in northern New Brunswick in a hoodie is nice. You will love the cab I am sure.:bigthumb:

Reactions: blue87fj60

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
The Artillian pallet forks arrived a week or so ago. I finally pulled them out of the box as I had a pallet of re-bar to move. I was a bit disappointed, but not surprised. It wouldn't lift it. I had to unload some of the pallet and I was finally able to raise it an inch, which was all I needed to move it.

I also received the elevated backrest and the storage cart, which I haven't unpacked yet. They weren't offering 24" forks. Do I get a waiver on that?

DSCN0004.JPG

1 - 14 of 14 Posts