Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting ready to make a 3-pt plow for the 40S with a bottom from a JD 810 plow I had. My question is, how much drop on the lower 3-pt frame from left to right?

3-pt plow.jpg

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,269 Posts
I think it's roughly 3 inches.

·
Premium Member
6,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think it's roughly 3 inches.
I'm thinking 3-4".

Went by our Orscheln's store this morning, every other 3-pt Implement, but no plows! I've had plows before, never occurred to me to measure one!

·
Premium Member
6,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is what I'm working with: HPIM1430.JPG

It's the 3rd bottom from an 810 plow that I bought some years ago for a 58-520. The 520 handled the 2 bottom much better that 3.

I have a shin to replace the broken one, will make a long landside with 1/2" x 4" steel, should last quite a while no more than I'll use the plow! I've already cut the long beam off ahead of the coulter mounting holes & switched sides with the angled brace. Picked up the steel this morning to make the 3-pt frame.

Reactions: rtgt and Levi

·
Registered
12,077 Posts
This is what I'm working with: View attachment 36815

It's the 3rd bottom from an 810 plow that I bought some years ago for a 58-520. The 520 handled the 2 bottom much better that 3.

I have a shin to replace the broken one, will make a long landside with 1/2" x 4" steel, should last quite a while no more than I'll use the plow! I've already cut the long beam off ahead of the coulter mounting holes & switched sides with the angled brace. Picked up the steel this morning to make the 3-pt frame.
I can't wait to see the finished product, Lowell.

·
Premium Member
6,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Did some more work on the plow the last couple of days. Cut many of the parts for the "A" frame yesterday & drilled the bolt holes today. HPIM1446.JPG I drill 3/16" pilot holes then bits up to 1/2", for bigger holes, I use bi-metal hole saws. I still have one 5/8" hole to cut in the plow frame. There will be a 5/8 x 2-1/2" to weld the top link uprights to, then it will be clamped to the 2-1/2" lower cross beam. Some braces will be used when I find the size needed.

I'm using pictures of a Frontier one-bottom as a pattern: HPIM1447.JPG

·
Registered
12,077 Posts
Lowell:

This is looking real good. I'm anxious to see the finished product.

I think I noticed in the picture you posted earlier that yours has a spring trip standard. Does the Frontier have a spring trip, or does it use a shear bolt?

Don

·
Premium Member
6,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Lowell:

This is looking real good. I'm anxious to see the finished product.

I think I noticed in the picture you posted earlier that yours has a spring trip standard. Does the Frontier have a spring trip, or does it use a shear bolt?

Don
Don't know about the Frontier, have to check on mine!

·
Premium Member
9,744 Posts
Did some more work on the plow the last couple of days. Cut many of the parts for the "A" frame yesterday & drilled the bolt holes today. View attachment 37149 I drill 3/16" pilot holes then bits up to 1/2", for bigger holes, I use bi-metal hole saws. I still have one 5/8" hole to cut in the plow frame. There will be a 5/8 x 2-1/2" to weld the top link uprights to, then it will be clamped to the 2-1/2" lower cross beam. Some braces will be used when I find the size needed.

I'm using pictures of a Frontier one-bottom as a pattern: View attachment 37150
From the pictures is looks like you are using parts from a Frontier plow!

Nice Fab work. :thumbup1gif:

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Premium Member
6,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Got the "A" frame parts welded up yesterday: HPIM1449.JPG HPIM1450.JPG

Still need to cut a 5/8" hole in one of the 1-1/4" main beams which may take a while!

·
Premium Member
6,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Painted some parts today: HPIM1452.JPG HPIM1453.JPG

Now I need to get some new bolts in a day or two.

·
Registered
12,077 Posts
Lowell,
Your standard looks like a safety trip standard from picture number 1. If you move downward the two "ears" sticking out from the two side plates, you should be able to move the standard rearward. That way if you hit a large rock, the standard will trip with an audible click sound. Stop, back up, reset and off you go to the next big rock. If it trips too easy, you can add shims that will require more pressure to trip. The shims are round tubular and fit between the two side plates. You should notice a bolt (3/8 or 7/16, I think) looking just below the two "ears". Part numbers used to run from 31785 to 31789, I think. I can look them up if you want.

Plow looks great. Can't wait for some pictures of it in action.

Don

·
Premium Member
6,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This bottom came off an 810 3-pt plow I had on a 1958-520. I bought it as a 3-bottom, then took this one off to pull it better. Did trip it once on a root. I used one of these plows on my uncle's 4010 (three bottom), plowing at night after work. In the tractor tail light, the furrow didn't look right. When I got to the end, one plow point was turned straight down, it didn't trip! Probably hit the base of a broken hedge post.

·
Premium Member
6,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Some assembly today: HPIM1455.JPG Just finished painting the brace from the top link to the back of the frame. Still need to make a parking stand, picked up the tubing for that this morning.

·
Premium Member
6,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
With the exception of some decals, a new share & cover board (on order) the 1-14" 3-pt pow is finished: HPIM1457.JPG HPIM1458.JPG

When the new items show up, I'll set it back in the shop overnight to warm for the decals, put on the share & cover board, then move it to the back shed until spring!

·
Premium Member
9,744 Posts
That looks awesome. :good2:

Can't wait to see it in action this spring. Gonna put it behind the 40?

·
Registered
12,077 Posts
Nice work as usual Lowell.

Reactions: grnspot110

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,269 Posts
That's nice, I like it. Great workmanship! :thumbup1gif:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts