·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What size plow for a 2038???

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Yank, I think with a 1 bottom it could be any size. Usually the numbers I hear for plowing are 12-15hp per bottom and that is for 16” or 18” bottoms. Your pushing 38hp but are a hydrostatic which hurts but have 4 wheel drive which helps. I think it might pull 2-16’s but it would work the crap out of it and it wouldn’t pull 2-18’s. All this depends on soil type but 2-14’s I bet it would do reliably. I would like to find out myself.

I think you would also need about 1000lbs in addition to the base tractor to get the most out of the power you have.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What is the difference between one and two bottom plows? Just plowing more with one pass?

·
Registered
11,759 Posts
What size plow for a 2038???
are u looking at the jd i-match one bottom plow? back when i bought my 2520 in 06 the dealer had one sitting on his show room floor. nice and shinny it was:laugh: down fall it was priced at around $500.

yrs later i found a one bottom brinely for $125 in good shape.

down fall is i have to take the i-match off to use it:banghead::nunu:

a fella out of Canada made the same plow i-match-boy it looks factory i tell ya. for 2 cts i would just drive up to his place to snap pics of it-so i could copy his design of it:laugh:

lots of 2 bottom old ford plows on CL or at least they have been around here this spring-seems they run their course for a while then disappear-then a while later they show up again.:dunno:

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
What is the difference between one and two bottom plows? Just plowing more with one pass?
One more bottom :dunno::laugh:

Yes, 2 14s will make a pass 28" wide.
A single 16 will make a pass 16" wide.
Cover more area per pass.

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,203 Posts
are u looking at the jd i-match one bottom plow? back when i bought my 2520 in 06 the dealer had one sitting on his show room floor. nice and shinny it was:laugh: down fall it was priced at around $500.

yrs later i found a one bottom brinely for $125 in good shape.

down fall is i have to take the i-match off to use it:banghead::nunu:

a fella out of Canada made the same plow i-match-boy it looks factory i tell ya. for 2 cts i would just drive up to his place to snap pics of it-so i could copy his design of it:laugh:

lots of 2 bottom old ford plows on CL or at least they have been around here this spring-seems they run their course for a while then disappear-then a while later they show up again.:dunno:
I've got 2 cts I can send you. I know they say to not send cash in the mail but I'd chance it just for you. I'd like to see you get that road trip so you could get out of the house and away from the caddie. I just have one request...make sure you not only take your picture taker but make sure it's charged up. :munch: :laugh:

BTW Yank, with the ground we have in our area I'd stick with a one bottom. Hitting the stones we have with 2 bottoms would stop you to many times. At least with one bottom you would still have some power to maybe power through it.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Remember, the issue with the SCUT/MCUT/CUT tractors is often more of traction than power.
They are so light and the R3/R4 tires just don't dig like an AG tire.

·
Registered
11,759 Posts
I've got 2 cts I can send you. I know they say to not send cash in the mail but I'd chance it just for you. I'd like to see you get that road trip so you could get out of the house and away from the caddie. I just have one request...make sure you not only take your picture taker but make sure it's charged up. :munch: :laugh:

BTW Yank, with the ground we have in our area I'd stick with a one bottom. Hitting the stones we have with 2 bottoms would stop you to many times. At least with one bottom you would still have some power to maybe power through it.
:lol: well thank u -Levi--at least u didn't tell me i'm nuts or going crazy in my older yrs-like the wife tells me--she says ur always coming up with these hair brain ideas:nunu::munch::laugh:

i'll be waiting patiently for my gas money:mocking:

·
Registered
224 Posts
Not all soils are created equal

Biggest factor is going to be the soil you have. When I bought my plow I researched like mad and everyone said single bottom plow was all my L2500 DT would handle. With my soil type of being sandy loam I could have easily went with two. Now if it was hard clay it probably would have worked the tractor but I never experienced any lugging on the engine.

If you do end up buying a plow I highly recommend if you can get an older double bottom dearborn or something similar with a gauge wheel at the tail. It makes plowing a lot smoother from not digging too deep. Also keep in mind that plowing is an art especially when running if off a 3pt. You can run some really deep furrows that will take you years to level back out if your not careful.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have around 12 inches of good soil with red clay under that. This fall I was going to cover it with composted manure and plow it over. Wasn’t for sure if the tiller went deep enough to mix it well. Do you guys think I need the plow? Think my 65 inch tiller goes 8 inches deep.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Model 411 plow

I have a Mdl 411 with an 18” single bottom. I only played with it long enough to run it with and then without the offset. Taking the offset out took the side load off the tractor. I have not tried a full depth pull in the red clay I’m working with. I am hoping that I can get the ground opened up and start building some better soil, and this is one of my toys to do that with. I’d actually like to change out the bottom to a 14”, but haven’t put the effort into that yet either. I don’t think I’d ever pull full depth in unbroken soil (over twenty five years...) I have a lot to learn. Like how to avoid terracing my property, as mentioned above...

Attachments

·
Registered
935 Posts
I have around 12 inches of good soil with red clay under that. This fall I was going to cover it with composted manure and plow it over. Wasn’t for sure if the tiller went deep enough to mix it well. Do you guys think I need the plow? Think my 65 inch tiller goes 8 inches deep.
If you go with just a tiller then also get a subsoiler so you can break up the hard pan nice and deep. That makes a good combination.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Biggest factor is going to be the soil you have. When I bought my plow I researched like mad and everyone said single bottom plow was all my L2500 DT would handle. With my soil type of being sandy loam I could have easily went with two. Now if it was hard clay it probably would have worked the tractor but I never experienced any lugging on the engine.

If you do end up buying a plow I highly recommend if you can get an older double bottom dearborn or something similar with a gauge wheel at the tail. It makes plowing a lot smoother from not digging too deep. Also keep in mind that plowing is an art especially when running if off a 3pt. You can run some really deep furrows that will take you years to level back out if your not careful.
I agree a gauge wheel is almost a must. Just makes everything easier.

If you go with just a tiller then also get a subsoiler so you can break up the hard pan nice and deep. That makes a good combination.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Agreed

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have the tiller and subsoiler. Herm, do you agree? Does that negate the need for a plow in my situation?

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,203 Posts
:lol: well thank u -Levi--at least u didn't tell me i'm nuts or going crazy in my older yrs-like the wife tells me--she says ur always coming up with these hair brain ideas:nunu::munch::laugh:

i'll be waiting patiently for my gas money:mocking:
PM me your address but I'm thinking that 2cts isn't going to give you enough gas money to even start the pump. :dunno: :mocking:

I have the tiller and subsoiler. Herm, do you agree? Does that negate the need for a plow in my situation?
I used my box blade to do that on unbroken ground. Set all the whatever you call them as low as they would go, tilted the BB so they would go as deep as possible and pulled. I have 4 of them teeth things on my BB and my 1026 pulled it just fine and did break up the ground at the deepest it would go before the corner of the BB would stop it from going deeper. About as deep as a tiller would go. I'd love a 12" one bottom for my 1026. Plow in the fall to turn the ground over and till in the spring before planting.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
I do but as Levi said plowing in the fall is nice. The subsoiler though will break up the ground even deeper than a plow by a lot. If you could mount a chisel plow on your soilsoiler that would work very well in the fall.

In most situations people people would always be better to rototil and only plow and disk because they cost less and cover ground faster. You will never get a better mix than with a tiller but a plow does allow the ground to stay open in the winter instead of pack tight.

My 2 cents.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts