Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While trying to level out some fresh asphalt millings I discovered an advantage using a Gannon Earthcavator over a standard box blade. With the blade in the standard forward cut position (no rippers) I was able to smooth out imperfections running it in reverse. The weight of the Gannon alone was effective enough produce to a good jop. I don't think you can do that with a box blade. I was able produce similar results using the front bucket on a previously rented Kubota by putting it in the float position but I wasn't able to find such a position on my JD 855. Or am I missing something?

·
Administrator
20,986 Posts
Did you try pushing the joystick all the way forward? It should snap over into float mode.

·
Fit Rite Hydraulics
663 Posts
While trying to level out some fresh asphalt millings I discovered an advantage using a Gannon Earthcavator over a standard box blade. With the blade in the standard forward cut position (no rippers) I was able to smooth out imperfections running it in reverse. The weight of the Gannon alone was effective enough produce to a good jop. I don't think you can do that with a box blade. I was able produce similar results using the front bucket on a previously rented Kubota by putting it in the float position but I wasn't able to find such a position on my JD 855. Or am I missing something?
You can get the exact same finish with a std box blade. If a person tilts the box forward so that only the front blade is touching the ground and you then use that in reverse you get the same results. The plus for the Earthcavator is that no top link adjustments need to be done, EVER once it is set to the proper length, you are good to go for all functions of the implement. :thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
These earthcavators sound pretty good. Do they still make them?

·
Fit Rite Hydraulics
663 Posts
Sadly Gannon-Woods, Gill or Land Pride do not build them any more. :cray: The good news is that Bush Hog does. :thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here is the Gannon I was talking about. As for the float on the FEL, I'll give it a try to see if it works.
001.JPG

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
The Gannon looks very solid and rugged. Thanks for the picture. I re-looked at what Brian posted on one of your other threads again tonight. I tend to like this roll-over box blade more and more compared to the standard box blade. I think that it would do a very nice job.

Not to high-jack the thread but does anyone know what these sell for from Bush Hog? There is a Bush Hog dealer about 30 miles from me. I was figuring on giving them a call. Does Bush Hog make all their own stuff or do they private label from other manufacturers? Their PHD looks like it could be Speeco and their BB's look like they could be others as well. They have FEL's and BH's as well. Iv'e only ever known them for Bush Hogs from when I was a kid.

·
Administrator
18,543 Posts
I was able produce similar results using the front bucket on a previously rented Kubota by putting it in the float position but I wasn't able to find such a position on my JD 855. Or am I missing something?
Did you try pushing the joystick all the way forward? It should snap over into float mode.
If you can not get it into the float mode, its possible that the detent mechanism is just rusty, corroded, or dry from lack of use. Its not a huge deal to fix when your ready to tackle it. Are you keeping this machine?

·
Registered
485 Posts
Looks like a nice piece of equipment. From looking at the picture, could you use the other cutting blade and drive forward to achieve the same results? Don't forget to post pictures of the tractor and maybe before & after pictures of the driveway?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you can not get it into the float mode, its possible that the detent mechanism is just rusty, corroded, or dry from lack of use. Its not a huge deal to fix when your ready to tackle it. Are you keeping this machine?
Thanks for the heads up. I'll give the float mode a try and see if it works first. And yes, I'm keeping the machine. I just wrote a check for it a few days ago.

·
Fit Rite Hydraulics
663 Posts
Looks like a nice piece of equipment. From looking at the picture, could you use the other cutting blade and drive forward to achieve the same results? Don't forget to post pictures of the tractor and maybe before & after pictures of the driveway?
Yes and no. Very close to the same results, but when you go forward you won't leave any tire tracks like you do when going in reverse. :cool: Just kidding, actually if you are working with a little bit rougher surface you will get a better finish in reverse because the tractor will be moving over a smoother surface vs when moving forward the tractor is traveling over an unfinished surface. :bye:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts