Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a brand new front grill for my 445 to replace the old one that got broken when it fell off and I ran over it (long story). Well, the lawn had gotten neglected for a couple of weeks while other things were being tended to, and it was nearly a foot high. So, last night I finally got a chance to whack away at the yard and after a couple of hours I finally got it done. When I backed the mower back into the garage I thought I smelled something burning or hot, like plastic melting. I didn't see anything that looked out of the ordinary till I shut off the tractor and went around front to pull down the garage door, when I saw my nice new grill sagging and drooping in a spot just about where the V-Twin emblem is! There were 3 or 4 segments that were almost melted, and all out of shape! My muffler guard is in place, and the temperature gauge reads as normal operating range, so what do you suppose could be the problem? I turned it back on and the radiator fan is running, and the radiator is clean, and like I said, the temperature gauge reads normal, but could have the heavy grass be the culprit here?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Every 425 that I bought had no grill or a melted one. I would install a new one and in a short time, they started to melt. I was thinking about installing a FR heat pad between the heat shield and grill. Sold the tractor before I tried that.

George of Buford

·
Premium Member
7,682 Posts
Maybe exhaust heat wrap would work? :dunno:

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Sounds like the engine is running lean and heating up the exhaust more than normal. I have worked on plenty of these and have never seen a melted grill. Pull the spark plugs and see if they show a lean condition. Plugs will be white not the normal chocolate brown.
Removing the side panels may cause the engine to run hotter as the side panels help to duct the air flow over the radiator. Keep an eye on your temp.

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts