Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2015 John Deere 3032e
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
New guy here...thought I'd introduce myself here my latest misadventure.

In the vein of no good deed goes unpunished...

I broke my 3032e tractor last week moving dirt to fill some low spots. I was driving down an old gravel driveway when I hit a large branch which flipped up just right to enter approximately 4"x6" oblong opening in the bottom of the case..

It was just right to catch the four wheel drive control rod/arm shoving it up well beyond the 4WD drive engagement detent. The tractor screeched and lurched and I immediately stopped and backed up. A friend on the ground pulled the branch out of the way. Everything appeared to be normal, so I resumed work. I pulled up to the dirt pile to get another bucket load and noted I was spinning my back tires, with differential locked. I reached down to engage the front wheel drive, which I thought I still had engaged, by pulling up on the handle. The handle came up way too far and too easily with no feel of any detent in either position. I assumed the control lever had broken loose from the lever (highlighted below) which engage/disengages the front axle. I drove over to concrete pad by garage and found the rod/lever still connected...in short the lever was moving the shaft into the drive indicating the damage is inside.

The unknown at this point is, where did it break and did it simply snap in two or did it shatter and send metal fragments through the hydraulic drive system. I dropped the tractor at the shop tomorrow a couple of days ago to get it fixed when they can get to it.

As for the no good deed goes unpunished, I had just finished mowing when the new next door neighbor asked me if I could move some dirt for him from the back of the property to the front. I wasn't even working on my own place, but helping a neighbor.

To add insult to injury, when I bought my used tractor (2015 model with 236 hours) in Arkansas, the equipment dealer found a hydraulic oil leak around this shaft and had split the tractor to replace the seals...at their time/expense. I've run the tractor just under ten hours since.

The shop called a little while ago saying the four wheel link assembly won't come out the bottom and the tractor has to be split. The labor bill is predicted to be over $3,000 plus parts, which aren't expected to be too terrible. A downside, is the shop is moving to a new location about a mile away over the weekend. Looks like at least a couple of weeks before I get my tractor back.

Rectangle Font Motor vehicle Parallel Auto part

·
Registered
7,912 Posts
New guy here...thought I'd introduce myself here my latest misadventure.

In the vein of no good deed goes unpunished...

I broke my tractor last week moving dirt to fill some low spots. I was driving down an old gravel driveway when I hit a large branch which flipped up just right to enter approximately 4"x6" oblong opening in the bottom of the case..

It was just right to catch the four wheel drive control rod/arm shoving it up well beyond the 4WD drive engagement detent. The tractor screeched and lurched and I immediately stopped and backed up. A friend on the ground pulled the branch out of the way. Everything appeared to be normal, so I resumed work. I pulled up to the dirt pile to get another bucket load and noted I was spinning my back tires, with differential locked. I reached down to engage the front wheel drive, which I thought I still had engaged, by pulling up on the handle. The handle came up way too far and too easily with no feel of any detent in either position. I assumed the control lever had broken loose from the lever (highlighted below) which engage/disengages the front axle. I drove over to concrete pad by garage and found the rod/lever still connected...in short the lever was moving the shaft into the drive indicating the damage is inside.

The unknown at this point is, where did it break and did it simply snap in two or did it shatter and send metal fragments through the hydraulic drive system. I dropped the tractor at the shop tomorrow a couple of days ago to get it fixed when they can get to it.

As for the no good deed goes unpunished, I had just finished mowing when the new next door neighbor asked me if I could move some dirt for him from the back of the property to the front. I wasn't even working on my own place, but helping a neighbor.

To add insult to injury, when I bought my used tractor (2015 model with 236 hours) in Arkansas, the equipment dealer found a hydraulic oil leak around this shaft and had split the tractor to replace the seals...at their time/expense. I've run the tractor just under ten hours since.

The shop called a little while ago saying the four wheel link assembly won't come out the bottom and the tractor has to be split. The labor bill is predicted to be over $3,000 plus parts, which aren't expected to be too terrible. A downside, is the shop is moving to a new location about a mile away over the weekend. Looks like at least a couple of weeks before I get my tractor back.

View attachment 782075
Ouch, hard to like that one. Bad luck all around. Hopefully the repairs will go quickly.

I hope the neighbor at least commiserates with you, if he doesn't offer to help with the repair cost.

Treefarmer

Reactions: Herminator

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
.....would be good and relevent to know what actual tractor model you have ....most guys put that info in their signiture lines so its easy to know how relative it is

welcome to the forum sir

·
Registered
2015 John Deere 3032e
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Ouch, hard to like that one. Bad luck all around. Hopefully the repairs will go quickly.

I hope the neighbor at least commiserates with you, if he doesn't offer to help with the repair cost.

Treefarmer
New neighbor but seems like a decent guy. A bit cash strapped so was helping him out moving the dirt. Simply an unfortunate accident which happened while I was helping him rather than because. He certainly commiserates, but I harbor no animosity towards him about it. Stuff happens... Still will sting the old wallet as I also pay income tax and buy a new zero turn mower!

.....would be good and relevent to know what actual tractor model you have ....most guys put that info in their signiture lines so its easy to know how relative it is

welcome to the forum sir
You are absolutely right. I thought I had included it, but clearly did not. I fixed the post and will add to signature as well shortly.

·
Premium Member
Early 2017 Vintage 1025R TLB (260/H120)
1,978 Posts
I'm so sorry to hear this. Very unfortunate string of bad luck. Hopefully they'll get it put back together and lower than their estimate. Welcome to GTT.

·
Premium Member
6,135 Posts
That sucks.
Welcome to GTT. Keep us posted

·
Registered
588 Posts
Man that hurts me to even think about it. I’ve been in for some of those $$$ repairs before. The unknown and is it fixed yet thoughts are what hurts your mind.

·
Premium Member
8,730 Posts
Welcome to GTT. Wish you had a better less expensive introduction. That’s a bad day.

·
Registered
2013 John Deere 3520
245 Posts
Isn’t learning not to run over things fun?

Seriously, that sucks. Tell your neighbor since it happened on his land with his branch you are going to sue him for the cost of repairs. Unless of course, he brings you a bottle of Makers Mark to help ease the pain.

·
Registered
2015 John Deere 3032e
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Isn’t learning not to run over things fun?

Seriously, that sucks. Tell your neighbor since it happened on his land with his branch you are going to sue him for the cost of repairs. Unless of course, he brings you a bottle of Makers Mark to help ease the pain.
Well, I am a Makers Mark fan... :D

Where are you located in TN? I'm in mid TN and have set of splitting jachs i used on my 4300 i could loan you. No sprcial tools required to split, just tedious. I had to split my 4300 to replace the hst link rod that broke..
Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
I am just outside Memphis in Collierville. I appreciate the offer, but due to lack of time and space at the moment, I had to take it to local JD shop for repair. I am in process of trying to add-on and remodel a house and build a barn while still working...but will be retiring in a few months!

·
Registered
195 Posts
Yikes! bad luck with the tractor. I'll double check for branches before I take mine out.

thanks for sharing the mishap, hope it comes back to work soon. You seem like a really busy fellow

·
Registered
408 Posts
I feel your pain. I was helping a buddy out doing some brush hogging and I had my forks on to move downed trees from a previous flood. Well my forks would build up with tall grass and as I had done several times already I lifted my forks and tipped them down to dump the grass off and at that same time I hit a pothole and the forks hit the ground and hydraulic fluid sprayed out from the busted hose and not to mention after I got that fixed is when I found it split one of the hard lines from transmission to the scv on my 2520. I replaced all the lines and crush washers and bolts on principal just about 650 in parts. Live and learn. Lick the wound and learn from it. As Clark griswold said “ it’s all part of the experience”

·
Registered
30 Posts
Yikes is right. Makes me nervous to even drive mine through the woods.

·
Registered
2015 John Deere 3032e
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I got my tractor back yesterday. The shift pawl in MFWD box broke. $34.90+20.00 freight. $178 to replace all hydraulic fluid. $18 output shat seal. $2850 for 30 hours labor to split tractor, repair and reassemble. Mechanic said if opening under MFWD shifter were 1/4” larger, he wouldn’t have had to split the tractor.

Lesson learned-Be more observant when moving. Still trying to figure a way to install a cover/skid plate.
Tire Wheel Window Vehicle Motor vehicle

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
I'd have opened that hole up a 1/4"

Damn!

Reactions: shyoung1
1 - 17 of 17 Posts