Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wanting to get a plow for my 1026r and was wondering if it can handle a two bottom plow or should I just get a one bottom plow?

·
Registered
111 Posts
more than 1 will be too much for a 1026r unless they are SMALL bottoms(10")

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
I would have thought it could have pulled a 2 -14. I have no experience, so do not take my word! You see a lot of small garden tractors pulling a one bottom. Maybe they are small singles?

·
Registered
111 Posts
I would have thought it could have pulled a 2 -14. I have no experience, so do not take my word! You see a lot of small garden tractors pulling a one bottom. Maybe they are small singles?
the singles for a garden tractor are typically a 10" bottom. 12" bottom would be pushing it in a GT and a single 14-16 will stop CUT no problem. so 2-10" is a MAYBE for a 1026R and anything bigger is a NO.
especially on anything other than ags

·
Registered
554 Posts
Ted on the every thing attachment's web page has a how to vidieo on most attachments you will use. Here is one on plowing that explanes a little detail be tweem 1 & 2 bottom plows. Hope it helps answer some of your questions.:drinks:

How To Video Demos - Implements & Attachments

The link takes you to the video libray. The how to use a single 12" plow is the one I was trying to load.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
I dont think the 1026 will pull a 2 bottom plow in clay, but it may in soft soil.:unknown:

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
On my old 40 Utility I tried a 16" 2-bottom plow once. Just once. I may as well have chained the tractor to a tree. :laugh: I removed one of the bottoms and as a 16" 1-bottom I could still get it stuck on occasion. The 40U was close to 3000 pounds, had R1 ag tires, and was a good bit longer than a 1026r. I only mention this because you need two things to pull a plow, weight and traction. I don't think a 1026r weighs enough even with ag tires to pull anything more than a 12" 1-bottom plow operating at the proper depth, unless it is very light soil.

·
Super Moderator
2,708 Posts
the singles for a garden tractor are typically a 10" bottom. 12" bottom would be pushing it in a GT and a single 14-16 will stop CUT no problem. so 2-10" is a MAYBE for a 1026R and anything bigger is a NO.
especially on anything other than ags
You see more 12 inch at plow days being pulled by 318s, 332s, 430s, 140s, etc. Most of your category 0 3 point plows are 12 inch, and even some sleeve hitch plows. I have both a Brinly 10 inch sleeve plow and a Brinly 12 inch 3 point plow for my 316. Also here is a 318 that was repowered with a Honda pulling two 12 inch semi-mounted plows in Missouri:

And here is a link to a build for another two semi-mounted plows to pull behind a Cub Cadet GT. First Page and 2nd Page

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
I can pull a 3 bottom(3-14) in heavy clay with my 4520, most times in 2wd. So would a 2x20 be able to pull a 2 bottom? whaere are the approximate lines?

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
If I get off my duff, you may know what happens with a 2520 and a 16" 1-bottom later this year. :) I have to do some adjusting for the mount to make it quick-hitch compatible. I have a feeling with the R4 tires, and if I really stick the plow down in the dirt, I'll get a lot of wheel spin. If I had a way to hold the ballast box on my lap while using the plow, maybe I'd have enough weight to try adding the second bottom back on. :laugh:

The video T-Mo posted is an example of the perfect soil for plowing with a smaller tractor. No big rocks, and not sticky clay. If you have soil like that, a 1026r should be able to handle something similar. If the soil hasn't been worked in years and has heavy sod and lots of clay, I don't think you'll be happy pulling a 2-bottom plow.

If you find a 3PH mounted 2-bottom plow for a good price, go for it. On most of them you can turn it into a 1-bottom by unbolting the 2nd bottom and moving some spacers around. After you work the soil for a year or so you can hook the 2nd bottom back up and give it another try.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts