Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that 425 number 1 is fully operational and I’ve even started using it as “my mower”, it’s time to move on to 425 number 2.

Obvious cam gear failure.
there’s another gear here that’s missing a tooth and I need to replace this while I’m in here, what do they call this part and is it still available?
(Last pic, yellow-ish gear)
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Vehicle
Automotive tire Light Black Gear Rim
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wood Rim Auto part
Automotive tire Automotive design Rim Bumper Bicycle part

·
Registered
935 Posts
That is the Governor Gear and is available, I replaced all my Plastic gears last year because I was worried about the Oil Pump Gear and its age.

·
Registered
935 Posts
BFI, (Brute Force & Ignorance). It will be destroyed and the new one will just snap in place. Do you have the service manual, you will need it to set the governor properly when you re-assemble.

Reactions: StrayCat59

·
Registered
935 Posts
Here is the engine section of the service manual.

Attachments

·
Registered
476 Posts
One way to remove the gov. gear with a couple pieces of wood. No damage to the case.

Wood Gas Machine Auto part Metal

The manual will give you a spec for the distance the gov. gear shaft, which is pressed into the case, should protrude. I used depth mics to measure it, and made a sleeve the exact length given. Made it easy to tap the shaft back down to the correct dimension. (FD590V vertical shown)

Hand Automotive tire Bicycle part Finger Rim

Automotive tire Gas Cylinder Household hardware Font

Be sure to order the washer and thimble looking part with the gear. It might come as a set now, but I didn't check that out.

Gear Auto part Fashion accessory Circle Jewellery

tommyhawk

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I’m figuring it’s going to cost me about 1,700.00 to restore this to near perfect condition. It has the rear PTO, (425 No.1 does not) and both have the 60in decks. Please tell me it’s going to be worth it 😂. I got these from the same lady that gave the the 214 I posted about over on the “vintage forum”.
Also pictured is 425 No.1 on the day I drug it out of it hole to the first day I cut the lawn with it. Pretty proud of that one already. Lol.
Wheel Tire Plant Vehicle Green
Plant Green Leaf Motor vehicle Grass
Tire Wheel Plant Vehicle Riding mower

·
Registered
935 Posts
I think it is worth it, You can't find an equivelent machine any where close to that price and I love my 445 and I intend for my son to inherit it in another 20-25 years, I will then be in my 90s and probably won't know what a tractor is by then. My 445 is a bare bones stock unit with out the PTO or 3 Point. I use the 1026R for those chores. At least with the 425, you still can get oversize pistons and other items to rebuild the engine, on the 445 they are no longer available.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts