Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dropped my phone yesterday and tried to slow it's fall with my foot and ended up stepping on it. Amazingly, everything still seems to work. In fact, the screen is working better than ever. I used to get a lot of missed taps and swipes, but now they're all registering. Luckily it was insured and a replacement should be arriving later today.

Attachments

·
Administrator
20,359 Posts
Dang, that sucks....

I have a Rokform cover for mine. It's pretty darn beefy and it's got a really strong magnet on the back. That's handy for my job. I can be talking on speaker to a tech, looking at a set of prints on the screen, all while the phone is secured to a controls cabinet cover leaving my hands free to run a meter or whatever. It has taken a bunch of falls, drops, and accidents and has not been damaged in the slightest.

·
Old Pa-pa
11,419 Posts
I'm happy as a pig in slop to report that I have NO need for a phone since I retired. :lolol:
Another type of post we should have double likes for! :good2: :yahoo: :good2:

·
Premium Member
2,228 Posts
I'm 30 years from retiring, so I very much need mine.........and in all honesty, even once I do, I still wont be able to turn my damn mind off, so I'll want the iPhone v114 in 2045.

Anyways..... I flail mowed my iPhone 4 once. It was fine..... That was my stroke of luck for that part of 2010.

-J.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I ran my iPhone 6 thru the washing machine it didn't like that either. After drying out a few days it came back to life. Everything works except Siri I think she drowned.

·
Premium Member
2,228 Posts
I ran my iPhone 6 thru the washing machine it didn't like that either. After drying out a few days it came back to life. Everything works except Siri I think she drowned.
Might be better off.....

-J.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Dropped my phone yesterday and tried to slow it's fall with my foot and ended up stepping on it. Amazingly, everything still seems to work. In fact, the screen is working better than ever. I used to get a lot of missed taps and swipes, but now they're all registering. Luckily it was insured and a replacement should be arriving later today.
You trying to make apple cider or what?

·
Premium Member
2,228 Posts
I tried a life proof, I hear they work very well. My biggest complaint was that you MUST use their adapter to use the AUX jack.

The Otter's are bulky, but very very tough. There was a rumor of one making its way through a pulp mill conveyor belt of some kind, and surviving. I have a friend that lost his iPhone, in an otter, in a snowbank, and found it weeks later....phone still worked!!

Sent from JerPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
20,359 Posts
Aluminum, carbon fiber, hard rubber outer cover, and a magnet. Yup, light years ahead of the Otter Box (my last favorite case), less bulky, and nicer to look at at only twice the price. :laugh:

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
I have come to loathe OtterBox cases - they do not hold up to daily use well at all. The plastic breaks / cracks, the rubber stretches and distorts... I've had to have the Defender series case on my wife's iPad replaced in its entirety twice. The Commuter series cases constantly get cracked. I switched to a Speck CandyShell Grip and couldn't be happier. It survived a motorcycle crash pretty well in tact!

A friend of mine from a previous job fell into his pool one day with his iPhone in his pocket. He reached into his pocket as he was falling in to try and get the phone out before the splash. Well, he didn't make it in time. When he hit the Home button, some "incompatible" message popped up very briefly before it shut down for good. We ribbed him for months that "Accessory Pool is not compatible with iPhone". :)

·
Registered
733 Posts
The Lifeproof case for my I4S didn't work at all for me. I couldn't hear calls and they couldn't hear me. It went back. My first case was an Otter box and it didn't last long at all. I'm a HD mechanic by trade and after getting diesel and grease on it a few times the rubber on it just started disintegrating and stretching out of shape. I ended up going thru three I4s on my last 3yr contract.

Now I have the Samsung S5 active with an Otterbox defender case, which is much different than the previous models. The S5 is waterproof from factory(and thus dustproof) and the Otterbox does a good job of protecting it from bumps/drops. Its been well tested in this regard. Yet when I take the case off it looks like new inside and the case is still in good shape. Previous cases usually lasted me 6 months max, this one is a year old and it looks like it could go another 6months minimum.

Now if only I could get it with IOS installed. Compared to my I4, the S5 is way more glitchy. Took me a month to get all the stupid notifications turned off that I didn't want popping up. I use it as an alarm clock and it would wake me up in the middle of the night just to tell me some app did an update. Each notification had to be turned off individually and some weren't easy to find. Also I couldn't set different sounds for notifications so I was constantly pulling my phone out thinking I had a text coming in but it was jsut some stupid app wanting to update or other non-sense. I've got it figured out now but it really PO'd me in the beggining. It also crashes and freezes WAY more than my Iphone ever did. About once a day I have to go into the App manager and shut everything down because an App froze up. Needs to be completly shut down and re-started every two days minimum or freezes up. Rarely had those issues with the Iphone.

Now if I could get an Iphone as rugged as the S5 I'd be set!

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
The Lifeproof case for my I4S didn't work at all for me. I couldn't hear calls and they couldn't hear me. It went back. My first case was an Otter box and it didn't last long at all. I'm a HD mechanic by trade and after getting diesel and grease on it a few times the rubber on it just started disintegrating and stretching out of shape. I ended up going thru three I4s on my last 3yr contract.

Now I have the Samsung S5 active with an Otterbox defender case, which is much different than the previous models. The S5 is waterproof from factory(and thus dustproof) and the Otterbox does a good job of protecting it from bumps/drops. Its been well tested in this regard. Yet when I take the case off it looks like new inside and the case is still in good shape. Previous cases usually lasted me 6 months max, this one is a year old and it looks like it could go another 6months minimum.

Now if only I could get it with IOS installed. Compared to my I4, the S5 is way more glitchy. Took me a month to get all the stupid notifications turned off that I didn't want popping up. I use it as an alarm clock and it would wake me up in the middle of the night just to tell me some app did an update. Each notification had to be turned off individually and some weren't easy to find. Also I couldn't set different sounds for notifications so I was constantly pulling my phone out thinking I had a text coming in but it was jsut some stupid app wanting to update or other non-sense. I've got it figured out now but it really PO'd me in the beggining. It also crashes and freezes WAY more than my Iphone ever did. About once a day I have to go into the App manager and shut everything down because an App froze up. Needs to be completly shut down and re-started every two days minimum or freezes up. Rarely had those issues with the Iphone.

Now if I could get an Iphone as rugged as the S5 I'd be set!
The S5 (and S6) "Active" models are not waterproof. They are "water resistant". You will get reasonably good protection from spills or maybe a splash from the faucet. Set it in a glass of water and leave it for a while and it's going to get wrecked.

Also, the phone isn't "glitchy" - that's Android. You have a tremendous amount of flexibility with how it's configured, but it takes a LONG time to actually get everything exactly how you like it. What's worse is that you will lose ALL of that customization when you have to replace the phone or change to a newer model. Samsung has "the best" backup program for Android, and it's absolute garbage and doesn't actually back your phone up.

I loved my S5 - right up until AT&T updated the OS and it started having all kinds of issues. Had to do a factory reset, lost EVERYTHING in terms of customization, and decided I've had enough. Went back to the iPhone with an iPhone 5, then 5S, then 5S with more capacity, and now a 6 with larger capacity. My work iPhone 5S got upgraded to a 6 then downgraded back to the 5S. Never lost a single setting or customization anywhere in the process.

I no longer miss the Android platform for the Swype keyboard since Apple has made third-party keyboards available w/ iOS8 (I added Swype and it does what I need). I am also starting to use the "Hey Siri" voice operation more when driving to read and send text messages as well as find directions, make calls, etc. You might consider getting a hands-free bluetooth device to keep around the shop and leave the phone plugged in to power - that way you don't need to touch it and won't get grease / oil on it.

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,201 Posts
With all this stuff being said, good and bad. I'm glad I don't know what you are all talking about except for the ones saying all this isn't needed in the retired life. I have a PC, about as hi-tech as I'm going to get. I do have a question. Do these iphones, ipads or what ever, ever get virus's like a Computer does? :dunno:

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
With all this stuff being said, good and bad. I'm glad I don't know what you are all talking about except for the ones saying all this isn't needed in the retired life. I have a PC, about as hi-tech as I'm going to get. I do have a question. Do these iphones, ipads or what ever, ever get virus's like a Computer does? :dunno:
It can happen.

Often times, the "virus" is an application that you installed willingly, presuming that it did -only- what the description claimed that it did. When, in reality, it does extra stuff like pull your contact info out of your phone and send it off to some international location for spamming use.

Here's an article about a specific kind of app on Android (which is more susceptible than the iPhone in general terms because it allows something called "side loading" of apps): Mobile Threat Monday: Please Stop Installing Android Flashlight Apps | PCMag.com

There are glitches with iOS as well, such as the fairly recent text message issue that, if someone sent it to you (very specific content), it would cause your device to reset.

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
i heard of some guy who dropped his phone on the floor and it survived without a scratch. he dropped it on his pillow it broke beyond repair.:laugh:

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Survival chances are also slim if you throw them, too.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts