Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 117 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My horoscope (or maybe it was a little birdy, I forget) told me to broaden my horizons, so today was the day! Having not bought a new tractor project in nearly two years, I'd decided I wanted a Power King. Found this 1980, 2418 on CL in St Joe a few days ago: Tractors 2016 046.JPG Tractors 2016 045.JPG

My first non-JD tractor since the 1948 model "V" Avery I had in the 1970's! It came with 4' deck, 4' snow blade, 3-pt Brinly plow & manuals. Needs some work, new seat & tires, I'll put the seat & tires on right away, hold off on the rears.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Theres no wrong color when your bringing the dead back to life.

Looks like a good project and the size is right.

·
Super Moderator
4,884 Posts
There are a TON of those Power King tractors up for sale around me all the time. Some run, some just for parts. I had never seen one until just a few years ago. They look like pretty cool little machines. I'd be kinda interested in some action shots showing that thing at work! :good2:

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Hiya,

Bravo on finding a nice PK 2418, looks like one of the last years they made the all steel tractors. We used to have PK's in the family for lawnmowers and the city I worked for had them for each school to mow. The last one we had was a 1967 Deluxe 12hp.

You may want to see if you can dig up a secondary transmission and a drive tube for it. (Your sheet metal tube has the cut-out for the second trans, your's would be a standard model as they had a single trans, the deluxe had dual trans)

If you are able to find one, you can pull houses with it as in low-low with the differential and reduction housings they have, it's about a 400 to 1 reduction.

Here's ours hauling wood one fall
DSC01106.JPG

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,192 Posts
Good looking tractor, don't care what color it is. :bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
5,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
754 Posts
Those wheel weights look familiar!

About 1972 my 4-H club hosted a town festival. Tractor DRIVING contest, garden tractor pulling contest, and a chicken barbecue. Neighbor was past State champ at tractor driving contest, so he ran that contest. He also had 23-8.50x12 Firestone tires on his 122 Cub Cadet. I got to talking with him before the pull and we agreed that I'd buy his tires after the pull if he still wanted to sell them. ANYHOW, three guys with Economy Power Kings trailered down together from Rockford, Ill, they kinda beat up all the Cub Cadets that day. They won one class, finished 2nd in two, and placed 3rd in all the classes! Now, back to my Firestone tires, Freddy won two classes and was 2nd in a third, he didn't want to sell his tires! Took me 28 years to finally get me a pair of them.

The larger diameter tires and all gear drive train made them a great pulling tractor.

·
Premium Member
5,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Premium Member
5,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Been working on the PK today. Somebody had put cloth backed 80 grit sanding pads on the foot rests with some kind of rubber cement & they didn't use it sparingly! Tractors 2016 047.JPG Finally got it all peeled off, added my 2" extensions & sprayed them with Rustoleum bed liner. Tractors 2016 048.JPG

Also added a 30 cal. ammo box for a few tools. Tractors 2016 050.JPG

New seat & front tires are scheduled to be here Monday!

·
Registered
21,428 Posts
Been working on the PK today. Somebody had put cloth backed 80 grit sanding pads on the foot rests with some kind of rubber cement & they didn't use it sparingly! View attachment 229938 Finally got it all peeled off, added my 2" extensions & sprayed them with Rustoleum bed liner. View attachment 229946

Also added a 30 cal. ammo box for a few tools. View attachment 229954

New seat & front tires are scheduled to be here Monday!
It looks even better now that it is off the trailer! Also noticed wheel weights all around - big plus.

·
Premium Member
5,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It looks even better now that it is off the trailer! Also noticed wheel weights all around - big plus.
Thanks!

I figured the weights ($???), plow ($300+)& front blade ($250) made up a big part of the asking price!

·
Premium Member
5,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Time for PK to earn his keep: Tractors 2016 052.JPG We had a 20 minute thunderstorm about 7 yesterday evening with high winds & an inch of hard rain, several sticks in the yard & on the drive!

·
Premium Member
5,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Surprisingly, the tires didn't come off too hard: Tractors 2016 053.JPG

The rims are in good condition, I was a little apprehensive when I found green goo in one of the tubes: Tractors 2016 055.JPG

Rims & front weights are painted: Tractors 2016 059.JPG Tractors 2016 058.JPG

There is an "IH" cast into the weights, so they're Cub weights!

1 - 20 of 117 Posts