Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you that have this setup, how is the dust and debris from the machine as you're mowing?
I'm currently using a 3pt hitch finish mower that does a great job but am seriously considering the MMM option this year. I'm nervous as a sinner in church about spending this much cash and not being satisfied but I'm hoping that the dealer will allow me to try one out even if it's at the business. I'm also counting on the experience from many of the members in here that use the MMM.

Reactions: Robnik and BigJim55

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,269 Posts
For those of you that have this setup, how is the dust and debris from the machine as you're mowing?
I'm currently using a 3pt hitch finish mower that does a great job but am seriously considering the MMM option this year. I'm nervous as a sinner in church about spending this much cash and not being satisfied but I'm hoping that the dealer will allow me to try one out even if it's at the business. I'm also counting on the experience from many of the members in here that use the MMM.
This is the only way I mow. If there is wind you'll get it in the face and the rest of your body when it's blowing toward you from the discharge shute. If the grass is sparse you'll get the same thing in the same areas only it will be dust. Wind is what gets you every time. At the same time wind is your friend when them little bitty flies won't leave you alone or it's hot out. I've thought about a 3PH mower but I like the convenience of the MMM. Don't have to look back to see where the mower is and redo my way of making turns. There are times a 3PH type would be better but it does make for a long piece of equipment.

·
Super Moderator
5,579 Posts
This is the only way I mow. If there is wind you'll get it in the face and the rest of your body when it's blowing toward you from the discharge shute. If the grass is sparse you'll get the same thing in the same areas only it will be dust. Wind is what gets you every time. At the same time wind is your friend when them little bitty flies won't leave you alone or it's hot out. I've thought about a 3PH mower but I like the convenience of the MMM. Don't have to look back to see where the mower is and redo my way of making turns. There are times a 3PH type would be better but it does make for a long piece of equipment.

Ditto:good2:

·
Super Moderator
8,133 Posts

Here are some links that will provide some helpful information to your questions.

Belly mount VS. 3Ph mounted finish mower? Rotary VS. flail type mower?

http://www.greentractortalk.com/forums/implements-attachments/19176-belly-mower-vs-finish-mower-power-take-off.html

Belly Mower vs. Rear Finishing Mower -- Grooming Mowers Finish Mowers -- Page 1

Viewing a thread - Compact tractors & rearmount finishing mowers

Belly mower or 3 pt hitch mower

And lastly here's some information about rear flail mowers that you should consider.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I appreciate all the info. My woods rear mount has the bar set pretty high in terms of mowing the grass and I'm mainly concerned if the JD MMM will perform as well or better and also the convenience or inconvenience of having the belly mower under the tractor.
Also, one of the primary reasons I'm considering the MMM is to take advantage of removing my leaves in the Fall by having the ability to pull my trailer and plumb the mower in to my debris loader and in to the trailer.
With the amount that a MMM cost, I want to make as sure as possible that I'll be satisfied.

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,269 Posts
Can't think of an inconvenience with the MMM unless you count having to go under tree limbs that are to low for the tractor to get under or possibly scalping on uneven ground.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Does the 72" come with an anti scalp roller? Or maybe it doesnt need one since the height adjustment is maintained by the tractor and not by the casters??

sorry for all the silly questions

·
Premium Member
1,043 Posts
For the last 31 years, I've worn a respirator with dust cartridges whenever I mow. If I mowed lush green fields of grass, I probably would not do that. But I mow grass, weeds, dust piles, yuccas, cactus, elk poop, and many other things that I'm not sure what they are but they create a dark cloud when I mow. And it seems that I always have the wind blowing just the right direction to coat me and the tractor with all of this. I carry my electric blower and stop when the tractor temp goes up and blow the radiator screens clean. After a really good mowing, my wife meets me in the garage and insists that I take my clothes off before entering the house. (My "coating" makes it impossible to turn this into a romantic moment.) And I still leave a trail of debris all the way to the shower.

It would be nice to have a sealed, air-conditioned cab with space for an ice bucket and a pitcher of cool drinks. But then the tractor and I wouldn't be in this together. This way, we're a team. A dirty team, but a team.

·
Registered
23,039 Posts
Just my added opinion on this....

The dust and debris is a given pretty much - my grass is almost always at least damp because of the tree canopy so I don't get much. When it is dry however I do have to keep an eye on my engine temp since the thatch wants to clog up the front grill quickly.

My issue is the noise - I just can't believe how much louder the belly mower is (from the operator's station) than a rear mount. I always wear ear protection of course but can still tell there is a big difference.

But the way my 3 acres of mowable lawn area is a rear finish mower would be a real pain. If I had an open field I wouldn't hesitate to run a rear mower instead.

·
Registered
741 Posts
I own both MMM and rear finish mowers but strongly prefer the MMM. I cut about 9 acres of lawn in Pennsylvania on an open station 3720 and 5 acres in Ohio with a 3720 cab. I just keep the rear finish mower as a back up if needed.

Candidly, I don't notice any difference with debris, dust, etc. between the MMM and rear finish mower. After spending a big part of the day with any tractor, I've been told I smell like grass, dirt, grease and diesel. I wouldn't have it any other way. :laugh:

·
Registered
517 Posts
Liked my 54D driver over well enough.. Hated the way it scalped now and then due to no anti scalp wheel in the front centre.. Good mower and good cut overall.. I switched to a 60" rear finish mower last year and love it. Tractor stays waaaay cleaner above and below.. Lifting the 3pt to scrape, clean or service the deck is obviously a breeze. No debris on me either regardless of wind direction. And it's quieter with it out back vs below me. Also love how un-cluttered the underside of the tractor is without any of the MMM hardware.. Honestly.. It's just personal preference.. Don't think it's a mistake either way you go.. I'm just on the side of really enjoying a rear mower so far.. If you've never used an auto connect deck.. it's really slick and you'll like it. You won't know till ya' try and if you don't like it.. Sell it and go back to the rear set up. Took me not more than a week to find a buyer for my 54D when I sold it.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Good info fellows! I appreciate it and it will give me an arsenal of questions to ask and things to think about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Robnik and Levi

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Me again :mocking:
I finally made it by the dealer today to price and hopefully be introduced to a MMM but unfortunately they didnt have anything other than an installed unit on a customers 3033. Price quoted was 4k installed.

Am I being too difficult to want the all inclusive tour which includes a connect/disconnect demonstration and even a few trips up and down their property to try it out?? Has anyone performed their own install? is it difficult??

Reactions: Levi and Robnik

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
6 of one, half-a-dozen of the other...

I've always used MMM's for my lawn, but the older I get the less I like being covered up with the debris and clippings that the wind always delivers. So last year I picked up a used RFM and tried it out in my non-lawn area (i.e., neighbor buffer) and the 2 things I really like about it is none of the debris from it ever reaches me (it's a rear discharge), and none of the debris reaches my tractor. The MMM throws so much out the front directly under the low pressure area of the tractor caused by the radiator fan that when using it I have to stop and clean the radiator screen, under some dry conditions cannot go an hour without having to stop and clean it.

The down side of my RFM is, being a rear discharge, I don't really like the way it leaves the cut grass looking, so I don't use it on my lawn. A side discharge RFM might fix this problem, but some of the debris from it might still reach me under the right wind conditions, although couldn't be as bad in this area as the MMM.

I think I might like a rear flail mower but have never had the opportunity to use one.

So one size does not fit all, you pays your money and you takes your chances.

·
Registered
913 Posts
I mow my 4 pastures with either a rotary cutter or a MMM, depending on the height I want the grass.

The MMM is faster for me. The down side to the MMM is that I end up far dirtier, have more dust in my eyes, and it is much louder.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts