Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having a lot of fun with my new 4066R. I had a loaner for the summer which had the operator seat safety switch disabled. I must admit that I really liked it... Could stand up while attaching to implements or sliding forks into a pallet. But I also know that for safety, I'm better off with the switch operational. Has anyone tried to come up with a temporary disable of the seat switch? I'm thinking of a button I could push that would disable it for 30 seconds and then automatically turn it back on. Any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
I would think that that would be relatively easy to make. You would need to look at the circuit diagram for your model and look where the seat switch is located and then set up a circuit with your switch to bypass the seat switch. I took a quick look on the JD Parts page and there are several different setups for the wiring depending on the type of unit you have, cab, HST etc... If you can give that info I am sure that someone can give you even better info than me regarding your needs.

·
Premium Member
3,966 Posts
Check out the Arduino controllers. They are some what simple to program and are fairly cheap to by. The micro sells for about $25 on Amazon. You could program it so that when a button is pushed it closes a relay for any amount of time. The relay can be the stand-in for the seat switch.

http://arduino.cc/en/Main/arduinoBoardMicro

Electronics Circuit component Microcontroller Technology Circuit prototyping

Electronic component Electronics Circuit component Technology Microcontroller

·
Administrator
22,604 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,966 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A "delay off relay" would work just fine too.
I am intrigued. Can you explain how this might work? Say I mount a push button on the control panel (I have an open station). How would the button control the relay? Wouldn't I need a "delay on relay"? The relay would keep the seat sensor wires "connected" for 1 minute and then revert back to the actual seat sensor, right?

·
Administrator
22,604 Posts
I am intrigued. Can you explain how this might work? Say I mount a push button on the control panel (I have an open station). How would the button control the relay? Wouldn't I need a "delay on relay"? The relay would keep the seat sensor wires "connected" for 1 minute and then revert back to the actual seat sensor, right?

A delay off relay would be completely hands off. Once the time is set, except for the occasional time where you might want to adjust it, you wouldn't need to do anything. You'd wire it so the seat would active the relay. Once the timer expires, the relay would "deactivate" and open the seat switch circuit. The relay would replace the seat switch circuit, but control the relay. A simple toggle switch could bypass the relay and return the system back to normal as you wished.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A delay off relay would be completely hands off. Once the time is set, except for the occasional time where you might want to adjust it, you wouldn't need to do anything. You'd wire it so the seat would active the relay. Once the timer expires, the relay would "deactivate" and open the seat switch circuit. The relay would replace the seat switch circuit, but control the relay. A simple toggle switch could bypass the relay and return the system back to normal as you wished.
What you describe sounds like it would deactivate the seat safety switch for a set time every time the operator leaves the seat. I want the safety switch to work as designed the majority of the time (ie factory condition). I was thinking of disabling the safety switch by pushing a button, quickly do my "standup" tasks, and then have it automatically re-enabled after 30 seconds. Could the delay relay do that?

·
Administrator
22,604 Posts
What you describe sounds like it would deactivate the seat safety switch for a set time every time the operator leaves the seat. I want the safety switch to work as designed the majority of the time (ie factory condition). I was thinking of disabling the safety switch by pushing a button, quickly do my "standup" tasks, and then have it automatically re-enabled after 30 seconds. Could the delay relay do that?

Yup, absolutely. It all depends on how you would wire it.

·
Registered
283 Posts
So I'm guessing the "time factor" is dependent on the amount of time from if you passed out from a heart attack, fell out of your seat, and the distance your mule was grazing in frt, multiplied by the speed of the traveling tractor, B4 it cut out?

·
Registered
100 Posts
I'd love to get my hands on one that you could unplu the switch plug into the unit then into the switch. I hate to cut wires and get in trouble under warranty, but I want my switch gone as it's some hard to run forks on my tractor.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I guess the jumper route might be the way I go, especially after spending a frustrating 2 minutes trying to lock into my grapple's skid steer style quick attach. I just can't see anything sitting down!

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
Any updates to this issue.

After using my 4044M for about 6 mos I've found I really could use a simple, push a button to override the seat sensor.

Anybody come up with anything recently?

Reactions: JD4044M

·
Registered
26 Posts
I did what Joeq did and just installed a jumper wire. Did the same with my 2210. I used a Ford 3000 with a loader for years and you do need to stand up on occasion. I don't see a need for a separate switch myself, but one could be hooked up with minimum effort and a custom switch could be had at sites like otrattw.net

·
Registered
20 Posts
I think the most frustrating thing is that you barely lift a cheek off the seat to get a better look at something and the engine cuts off... too sensitive in my opinion. This situation could even be a safety hazard as well, when the engine cuts off and you are doing some delicate lifting, maneuvering or something that requires complete concentration and control of the situation.

Reactions: JD4044M

·
Registered
303 Posts
If you have the rear remote fender controls, jumping the switch terminals won’t allow the interlock process to power those controls. I ended up tying into the seat circuit and adding in a switch to toggle the safety sensor in the seat. It works perfectly.

I got my switch from these guys OTRATTW - The standard in high quality custom rocker switches.

Vehicle Technology Car Electronic device City car

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
If you have the rear remote fender controls, jumping the switch terminals won’t allow the interlock process to power those controls. I ended up tying into the seat circuit and adding in a switch to toggle the safety sensor in the seat. It works perfectly.

I got my switch from these guys OTRATTW -

[/ATTACH]

I ordered my switch from your guys (it arrived within 3 days!) now I need to wire it up. Can you give me more details, pictures, or both on how you tied into the seat circuit? Very much appreciated.

·
Registered
303 Posts
George,

I had to cut into the wiring harness for the seat switch. Unfortunately the big girl is at a dealer currently for an emissions code something to do with the actuator valve for the exhaust/DPF (warranty on emissions through 2020). The dealer, is waiting on some parts, I hope to have her back next week. I’d be happy to take some pictures of the back of the switch for you then.

I’m going on complete memory here, but I seem to remember running 2 each 2 conductor wires (like Napa trailer wire) from the new switch to each side of the harness when cut, keeping polarity the same through the switch. I’m no electrician, by any means, but it made sense at the time ( that’s been a few years ago). My thought was the factory seat switch closes with pressure, so in order to close the circuit with the new switch, it takes both conductors to the new switch to close it. And two going back to the factory seat switch when the new switch is open.

I jumped power for the LED in the switch from a neighboring switch for the rear lights, so the switch glows at night.

Reactions: johnH123
1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.