Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm looking at picking up a JD 1025R while JD Australia has the 1% interest deal. That said I'm hitting a snag, as I understand the H120 is no longer compliant due to a rollback issue, but there's a JD kit to correct for this. The alternative is the locally made challenge 1821 loader and bucket, but its lift height and capacity isn't quite as good, nor does it attract the 1% interest (its about 2.31%).

The dealers keep talking up the challenge loader and bucket, but I haven't been able to see the H120 with the compliance kit in operation.

I'm hoping someone here has a H120 with the compliance kit and can comment, or has the challenge loader and bucket and has a view on which way I should go.

I really like the quick detach and stand on the H120, and the cheaper interest would offset the cost of the compliance kit.

Thanks very much,

craby

·
Administrator
17,316 Posts
Welcome craby,
I have not seen any of the smaller loaders with a kit to make them compliant, and I don't see anything in JDParts about it for the H120.

For other who are curious what this is about, there is newer law in Australia that requires all loaders sold to be self-leveling.

·
Premium Member
3,964 Posts
For other who are curious what this is about, there is newer law in Australia that requires all loaders sold to be self-leveling.
Not that any of us commoners ever know what the intent of politicians are but do have any idea the reason behind the law?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
357 Posts
I don't understand the reasoning behind this law either. I guess it's another way to dumify our population.

·
Administrator
20,366 Posts
My guess would be the politicians believe operators are too dumb to curl their load down as they lift so they don't dump the load on themselves.

·
Administrator
17,316 Posts
Safety laws are there for a reason. As we get older, it seems easier to question the validity of certain safety requirements and some may seem to believe that safety features make us unintelligent. But I doubt we would question the politicians who enacted the law if it ultimately saved the lives of our daughters and sons where a single dumb moment resulted in load rollback that injured or killed them. I can live with features (and laws) that would enable a second chance at life when I too experience a teenage relapse in wisdom.

We all have our unexpectedly dumb moments. So even if the law only prevents 1 single rollback death, I bet you would all be glad if it was your life or the life of a family member that it saves.

Plus, it would be awesome to have a self leveling loader. :thumbup1gif:
This may get political so I must be careful...
Sorry, but I have to strongly disagree with this whole "if it saves one life" mentality. Such thought has brought us gas cans that don't work, RIO systems on lawn mowers, massive notso common sense guns laws that disarms law abiding citizens, regulations the drive up costs, inhibit business growth and force manufacturing out of this country. Why do we ever let rapists and murderers out of prison on parol? Surely it's worth one life to keep them jailed isn't it?
Would you be willing to pay $1000 more for your loader? And have it lift less because of the extra linkages involved with self leveling? I for one am not willing to have my government dictate more things in my life that cost me more money.

I could go on for hours but I'll stop there...

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,203 Posts
Welcome craby,
I have not seen any of the smaller loaders with a kit to make them compliant, and I don't see anything in JDParts about it for the H120.

OK, don't understand the self-leveling law :dunno: but would like to know what that has to do with the "rollback issue"?? Wouldn't get much on the FEL if it's level all the time or be able to keep it in the FEL. Can't dig if it's level either. Am I missing something here? :question:

·
Premium Member
11,014 Posts
OK, don't understand the self-leveling law :dunno: but would like to know what that has to do with the "rollback issue"?? Wouldn't get much on the FEL if it's level all the time or be able to keep it in the FEL. Can't dig if it's level either. Am I missing something here? :question:
X2 :munch:

·
Premium Member
10,057 Posts
Self leveling keeps the angle of the bucket where you put it, not necessarily "level".

If I set the bottom of the bucket level (or any other angle) at ground level, on a normal loader the bucket will tilt back as I lift it to max height. It's a function of the geometry if the loader.

With a self leveling loader, there is an extra linkage that causes the bucket to remain very close to the same position through the entire range of motion. It's not perfectly exact, but it is super close. If you're using pallet forks and lift a pallet off the ground, it will stay level all by itself as you lift it. If you scoop up a bucket full of dirt and tilt it all the way back, it will stay tilted to that position all the way to the top of the loaders lift range. If you have loose, large, or uneven items on the bucket or forks, it is possible for the bucket to tile backwards enough as you lift for stuff to fall backward toward the operator, potentially causing injury or damage to the tractor.

The downside of MSL (mechanical self leveling) is that it adds weight with the extra linkage which reduces capacity, and adds height to the loader arms which makes it a little tricky to see around sometimes.

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
I can certainly understand you're trying to make a point and I respect you have your own opinion.

However, the law for self leveling loaders in Australia has nothing to do with gas cans, rio systems, gun laws, outsourcing, or rape. My comments certainly seem to have riled you up on a whole slew of things, and that was not my intent. My post was specifically with regard to a single Safety Law. Of the myriad of things you listed, you only mention two items that can be considered consumer safety related: RIO and gas cans, neither of which is in the same league as a self leveling loader law.

RIO can be disabled by design by pulling up on the PTO switch. As far as gas cans not working, blame the manufacturers who design things to be cheap to manufacturer. They have no incentive to design something better since people are worried about things that "cost me more money" (which going off-topic is one of the reasons for outsourcing).
A "single safety law" has turned into millions, maybe billions of safety laws on the books. NO THANK YOU. Please, let me be responsible for me...

·
Registered
935 Posts
Sorry, but I have to strongly disagree with this whole "if it saves one life" mentality. Such thought has brought us gas cans that don't work, RIO systems on lawn mowers, massive notso common sense guns laws that disarms law abiding citizens, regulations the drive up costs, inhibit business growth and force manufacturing out of this country. Why do we ever let rapists and murderers out of prison on parol? Surely it's worth one life to keep them jailed isn't it?
Would you be willing to pay $1000 more for your loader? And have it lift less because of the extra linkages involved with self leveling? I for one am not willing to have my government dictate more things in my life that cost me more money.

Kenny is my hero. Gizmo now is your chance to say something nice about Kenny as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
357 Posts
Sorry, but I have to strongly disagree with this whole "if it saves one life" mentality. Such thought has brought us gas cans that don't work, RIO systems on lawn mowers, massive not so common sense guns laws that disarms law abiding citizens, regulations the drive up costs, inhibit business growth and force manufacturing out of this country. Why do we ever let rapists and murderers out of prison on parol? Surely it's worth one life to keep them jailed isn't it?

I couldn't of said it better myself.

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
I think there should be a law mandating self leveling shovels...have you ever been in a trench pitching dirt up out of a hole? It's really hard to keep from spilling it.
If we could just keep dirt out of the eyes of 1 child, it would be worth it.

·
Registered
768 Posts

Agree with you 110% my friend. As you said... I could go on for hours so.... :)

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
At first read I thought the OP's mention of the "kit" referred to the "FBS/DBS" retrofit problem that may not have been addressed in Austrailia as yet. However, reading "self levelling bucket" I now see that this will be "coming to a dealer near you" in America as soon as JD Au has it all perfected. While I'd LOVE the self levelling bucket (time saver, machine saver, sweat saver) it's going to cost the next generation of USA JD buyers an aditional mucho bundle for an FEL. (I'da bought it though if it were offered when I got my 1026! It is very handy and there is no downside while operating since you can manually overide it with the FEL lever if you want/need to.)

Oh yeah, I vote "Nay" on them Lawyer Laws as well! A "RIO" should only be a river south of the border... well, what used to be the border anyways....:laugh:

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
At first read I thought the OP's mention of the "kit" referred to the "FBS/DBS" retrofit problem that may not have been addressed in Austrailia as yet. However, reading "self levelling bucket" I now see that this will be "coming to a dealer near you" in America as soon as JD Au has it all perfected. While I'd LOVE the self levelling bucket (time saver, machine saver, sweat saver) it's going to cost the next generation of USA JD buyers an aditional mucho bundle for an FEL. (I'da bought it though if it were offered when I got my 1026! It is very handy and there is no downside while operating since you can manually overide it with the FEL lever if you want/need to.)

Oh yeah, I vote "Nay" on them Lawyer Laws as well! A "RIO" should only be a river south of the border... well, what used to be the border anyways....:laugh:
My brother has several large (~170 HP) tractors in JD and Kabota flavors which are used for blowing straw. The Deere dealer talked him into a self leveling loader on one of the tractors and he and all of the operators hated it. Said it was more trouble than the "help" it provided.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts