Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was hoping to get some opinions on a Woods brand RC5 rotary cutter for my (Hopefully) soon to be delivered 2032.
I did a bit of searching and Woods brand seemed to be respected but the results were also a few years old so I wanted to confirm if opinions were still good.
Thank you
John

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
I have a woods bb60x, which I got used last spring.

Its a good mower, cuts nice, easy to use, and it has a slip clutch driveline. its a pretty heavy duty machine, so I would definitely look at the bb60x over the RC5.

The only issue I have had is the tail wheel fork. I ended up having a local welder make a new heavy duty reinforced tail wheel fork because the stock one kept bending.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Don't overthink a bush hog, they aren't that sophisticated. If you are cutting grass occasionally I see no need to go heavy duty. If you are cutting brush then by all means go heavy duty. If you have a lot of acreage to cut I would suggest a 6' mower but if you have things to cut around a 5' might be better. I like the idea of a slip clutch if you can afford it otherwise get comfortable with the idea that you'll occasionally replace a shear bolt. If you have hills look for an articulating 3 point mount, in a worst case scenario you can put everything in a bind and something will bend. I strongly suggest a stump jumper. If the tailwheel spindle isn't greaseable have a zerk fitting installed.

Having said all of that I use a bush hog cutting grass a few times a year and in the fall I cut about 20 acres of thick nasty brush complete with saplings. I didn't want to subject a new cutter to that abuse so I bought an old 5' bush hog fully expecting to tear the thing up. Well so far it hasn't missed a beat and I've definitely run it through stuff it was never designed to cut.

Good luck

·
Registered
63 Posts
Other than busting the gearbox “vent plug” on my Woods RC4 (see post below) mine has run flawlessly for the 2 years I’ve had it and I definitely do not baby it. I have a 60D MMM for finish mowing the lawn, the Woods is exclusively used for tearing up blackberry thickets and saplings in the “back 40” for which is has done a superb job thus far.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts