Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to pick up a box blade before the weekend but thought I would get the opinions of anyone who uses one. The Frontier BB50L is $786.00 and weighs 275 pounds. The Farm King 484 is $825.00 and weighs 400 pounds. It's not too much more for the Farm King which has a lot more weight, but only comes in RED. Of course colour can't be my deciding factor but what is being used out there and how do they perform for you? Is the BB50L going to have enough "ummff" in respect to weight? :unknown::unknown:

Your opinions and comments are appreciated.

Oh, I plan to use it to rip up a hill of sandy clay to use for fill in another part of the yard as well as general levelling.

Reactions: Kmay2691

·
Premium Member
792 Posts
275 pounds sounds too light to me. Weight is your friend in this case. If there's not enough weight, then it won't be able to dig down and rip. My 1,250 pound box blade sometimes struggles ripping up hard compacted dirt. But when I go to a nice road, sometimes it weighs too much that it just wants to keep digging. For your purposes, I'd suggest the heavier Farm King.

·
Administrator
20,982 Posts
The heavier the better for sure. For a 1 series tractor I would stay with either a 4' or at least a 5' max. A 54" would be perfect for a 1026R.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I bought a Land Pride BB2054 and it has been a great piece of equipment. I paid around $690 and it's well built. Better than a TSC and the other higher end ones out there for a good price. Weights about 375 lbs.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have the 48" from Deere. I have a 1026R. I use it as a ballast and ripper. I did hang 2 JD weights on it. I do 250' of gravel driveway with it. I leveled my acre yard with it. Your tractor is half a machine without the BB. Stick around 50". Buy it.

·
Registered
95 Posts
i bought a used 48" king kutter for my 2320. its the lighter duty model. i have bent up a few of the brackets but the box itself is solid.

·
Registered
714 Posts
i bought a used 48" king kutter for my 2320. its the lighter duty model. i have bent up a few of the brackets but the box itself is solid.
That is exactly why I like a lite duty box blade. They will bend before anything on the tractor. Lite dutys are IMO the only way to go. Just add some suitcase weight and you have the perfect ballast.

·
Premium Member
792 Posts
That is exactly why I like a lite duty box blade. They will bend before anything on the tractor. Lite dutys are IMO the only way to go. Just add some suitcase weight and you have the perfect ballast.
Just curious, what are you afraid of bending on the tractor? All of the metal connecting to the 3ph and around it is incredibly strong, and as far as the strength to pull a ligher vs heavier I would assume would be relatively even. If I had a light duty box blade behind my 110 I doubt I could make it 15 hours without bending the heck out of it and I dont have a worry in the world about my 1250lb box blade doing any damage to my tractor.

·
Super Moderator
5,637 Posts
Just curious, what are you afraid of bending on the tractor? All of the metal connecting to the 3ph and around it is incredibly strong, and as far as the strength to pull a ligher vs heavier I would assume would be relatively even. If I had a light duty box blade behind my 110 I doubt I could make it 15 hours without bending the heck out of it and I dont have a worry in the world about my 1250lb box blade doing any damage to my tractor.

DITTO Martian!

If you're worried about bending something on your tractor,then it's being used for something it's not intended to do. Speaking for myself,lite duty equipment isn't in my vocabulary.Whatever brands are the beefiest. Yeah,that's the ticket. Even if the implements are a bit oversized for your machine,I believe if common sense rules, there isn't any reason you couldn't use them.:)

Greg

·
Premium Member
2,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Contrary to Popular Opinion

Well contrary to the majority, I decided to go with the lighter box blade made by Frontier. I hooked her up and can say it performs very well. Even though the BB2048L only has 3 rippers it cuts in real nice and even rips the smaller roots out. I played around for a short time tonight and I am very happy with it. I think because the soil I am trying to rip up and move is relatively soft with no rocks, just poplar roots, I am going to fair well, even after getting past the topsoil it works good. Like Goodscout said he hangs a couple of weights on his, I have some monsterous C channel that I can easily add 100 pounds to it if I have trouble but I don't anticipate it now that I have used it a little.

I'm also excited because I picked up an I Match quick hitch as well, the sales rep knocked off $35 so I took it. I think that is going to make things a lot easier changing tools. :yahoo:

Tractor Box Blade 2012-10-11 (3) (Custom).jpg

Yes, that is snow in this picture.:thumbsdown:

Thanks for the comments and opinions, I appreciate them all. :drinks:

·
Registered
675 Posts
I have a Frontier 1048L BB and just like you it works great.
I have 4 rippers and if you tilt the BB with the front lower than the back it will dig in to the point that I loose traction.

Doug

·
Registered
714 Posts
DITTO Martian!

If you're worried about bending something on your tractor,then it's being used for something it's not intended to do. Speaking for myself,lite duty equipment isn't in my vocabulary.Whatever brands are the beefiest. Yeah,that's the ticket. Even if the implements are a bit oversized for your machine,I believe if common sense rules, there isn't any reason you couldn't use them.:)

Greg
Quite the contrary. I have bent two lift arms on my 670 because I was pushing with a beefy box blade. Now, I use a tsc box blade with my 3320 and if I push to hard it will bend the top bar on the box blade. I had to bend it back just once so far. If something's gonna give I don't want it to be another lift arm.

I know I'm not supposed to push too much with the 3 point, but sometimes I need to push.

·
Premium Member
792 Posts
Quite the contrary. I have bent two lift arms on my 670 because I was pushing with a beefy box blade. Now, I use a tsc box blade with my 3320 and if I push to hard it will bend the top bar on the box blade. I had to bend it back just once so far. If something's gonna give I don't want it to be another lift arm.

I know I'm not supposed to push too much with the 3 point, but sometimes I need to push.
Must have been a poor design or something. That should not have happened like it did.

·
Premium Member
2,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think if a guy has a larger tractor, i.e. 30XX or larger, there is enough "umff" there to bend something if you snag something tough. With the little 1026R, at least the little I've used it so far, I find that when I snagged something like a large root, I would break traction or just plain stop. I think I would bend something if I would "goosed it" while pulling but I take it slow and steady so I can adjust as I go.

Next year when I finish my digging and grading with it I might have a different opinion, but after about 8 hours of use the light duty Frontier is all I need for the 1026R.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Land pride BB0548L

Got a used Land Pride orange(who cares) box blade for 350 cash and I use it to repair my steep gravel drive after a wash out and after a summers worth of ruts. It works very well for digging up potholes and levelling soil. I used it to repair my neighbours drive after a major rainfall where he has 2foot wide ruts washed out. It worked like,a charm. I also just used it to level the gravel pad for my new garage..... It works well as both a dozen blade and a land leveller.... I like mine! I use my 260 backhoe for ballast but before I got that unit I used the box blade for ballast however to be honest it didn't work as well as a loaded ballast box, particularly when moving heavy loads with the h120. Also it works so much easier with the 1026R position control. I also use it to grade off fill before spreading top soil. Handy little tool.

In summary, I wouldn't be without one now! It's one of the few multi-purpose tools.....

·
Registered
714 Posts
Must have been a poor design or something. That should not have happened like it did.
Nothing poorly designed, just working the tractor back an forth. Stuff is gonna bend. I would rather it be my implement than the tractor. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I have the BB2060 and wouldn't be without it now. As mentioned above, attached to the 1026R, I can't imagine how anyone could bend/break, etc anything on either this BB or the tractor. I've come to some sudden stops while using it, but there's not enough power in reserve to stress either side of this equation......the BB is very well built as is the tractor.

The extra weight of the BB2060 provides the ability to loosen and relocate very well packed material that with a lighter unit likely wouldn't separate.

IMHO

·
Premium Member
792 Posts
Nothing poorly designed, just working the tractor back an forth. Stuff is gonna bend. I would rather it be my implement than the tractor. Just my opinion.
I'm not questioning you, I just know from experience that I've pulled my 1250 pound box blade behind my 85HP tractor through land that's full of roots, and never been worked before and not an issue in the world. And believe me I worked it hard. Not as hard as I've worked my 110 with it, just because it's not as convenient for that stuff, but even it would be impossible to break. The only thing that I can see that could break is if you turned to sharp and snap the sway bars, which I have done before, but that's out of pure stupidity and done with any box blade.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I prefer the heavy boxblades, don't need one that will bend up. I use a Cammond 48" with my x749 which is about 400 lbs and the Frontier BB1284 same as Martian's for the 4520 and 110tlb. I find the heavy boxblades will stay on grade much better than the light ones will. Nothing more irritating than having a light boxblade jump up and ride over the hard ground when you are trying to hold a grade. Same is true when using a landplane or rearblade.

Reactions: Martian
1 - 20 of 23 Posts