Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a couple of small engine carburators that I want to clean and rebuild. Two of them are not too bad, but a couple others have been sitting for several years so they will be gummed up pretty good. What kind of cleaner would you recommend to soak them in?

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
If you have access to an ultrasonic cleaner I’ve found that one of those filled with Hoppes bore solvent is about the best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
An old crock pot, simple green with some water and let cook for awhile depending on how bad they are. Some people say
Pine Sol works good also.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Id say ultrasonic too. It will clean out all the little passages.

That said, Ive always wanted one, and even bought a gallon can of that Chem Tool carb cleaner with the basket. It didnt work all that well.

My standard practice, which hasnt really failed me yet, is Gumout, sprayed into every orifice, then scrub down the carb with an old toothbrush, then spray out the passages again, then spray off the carb to rinse it, then once more on all the passages.
So far, thats worked on every carb Ive tried it on, and thats a LOT of carbs over the years.
Well, it worked on all the carbs that didnt have other issues that a cleaning wasnt going to fix.

All that said, the older I get, the less I like to get covered in carb cleaner.
Im fairly certain that Harbor Freight sells a small ultrasonic cleaner fairly cheap, and I may go that route for all the other small parts I clean.
2.5 Liter Ultrasonic Cleaner
With a 20% off coupon, thats $64. Not too bad.

·
Premium Member
3,944 Posts
If you have access to an ultrasonic cleaner I’ve found that one of those filled with Hoppes bore solvent is about the best.

And you got approval to buy that??? Hope you didnt use her crock pot too for starters! Geez you're asking for a lot of trouble lately.. I had to do it J3 :hide:

I too would use the ultrasonic method with bore solvent.. J3 is right on with that advice.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
And you got approval to buy that??? Hope you didnt use her crock pot too for starters! Geez you're asking for a lot of trouble lately.. I had to do it J3 :hide:

I too would use the ultrasonic method with bore solvent.. J3 is right on with that advice.
No. I have friend with aircraft repair shops. I use theirs. :) butnfor 60.00 I might put one on the Christmas list.

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
I tried the Pinesol in the crockpot. It leaves a nasty film on everything. I won't do that again. No, it wasn't mother's crockpot. It was my MIL, it didn't sell at her estate sale.:unknown:

If she's rolling over in her grave, it's not my fault, her children gave it to me.:laugh:

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
I tried the Pinesol in the crockpot. It leaves a nasty film on everything.
I did a Kohler 8HP carb this spring,, Pine Sol, and a crock pot,,
the Pine Sol was diluted about 50% with water,,

I considered the results perfection,,,
after the Pine Sol, the parts were washed in Greased Lightning while they were still hot.

That was the best carb cleaning I ever did,, :good2:

·
Premium Member
2,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Great ideas, thanks. I think I'll see what I can find for an ultra sonic cleaner. I just remember years ago using some carb cleaner that stunck so bad I hated working with it. I don't know if my wife would appreciate me using the crock pot unless I buy her a new one, but that's an option too.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
I bought my crock pot at a garage sale for $5. Works great:think::think: not using my wife’s good one:drama::gaah:

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
I don't know if my wife would appreciate me using the crock pot unless I buy her a new one, but that's an option too.
I bought my crock pot at a garage sale for $5. Works great:think::think: not using my wife’s good one:drama::gaah:
After reading about Pine Sol, a couple weeks later I saw a real nice Crock Pot brand crock pot on sale at Sams Club.
It was bigger than our old one, (nicer looking as it was new!! :good2:) and on sale at only $19,,

So the wife got treated to a new Stainless Steel Crock Pot,, I got the old 1970's avocado green, no-name crock pot,,

1 - 11 of 11 Posts