Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking of running a thin zip disc along the length of the crack and then welding it.
But then I got to thinking maybe I should just weld it as is or perhaps grind a small 'V' and long the crack.
I can and plan on hammering the ends to align.
What would you do and thanks in advance.

Premium Member
All of the above. I would go one further and weld a fish plate under it since youre going to fix er up

Registered

Definitely drill a small hole in this area. You could probably get by with an 1/8 inch bit as small as the crack appears. 1/4 inch may be ok as well. Weld a scab plate on bottom and when your done you can weld on top and cover the crack and hole. Grind and paint to suit. (y)

* If you're lost with the hole concept you can experiment with a piece of notebook paper. Try to stop a tear in the paper using a hole punch.

Registered
Definitely drill a hole at the end of the crack to stop it. Then do as the other have said to grind a "V" and weld it back up. Grind it smooth then prime and paint.

Senior GTT Super Slacker
Can we see a bigger picture of where the crack is.
My first thought, just weld it. I assume it's pretty thin steel.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Can we see a bigger picture of where the crack is.
My first thought, just weld it. I assume it's pretty thin steel.
Sorry, no bigger pic at the moment but it's on the top front lip in the center of the bucket.
I now think that I'll drill the small hole, put a quick vee on it, zip it up, grind it and spray it.
Thanks everyone.

Registered
No need to vee metal that thin. Drilling a hole at the end may help but I'm not sure about it. There is a greater chance of blowing a hole in it if you do either. I would try to find some metal about the same thickness to practice on first to get my heat and feed right.

I would just straighten with a hammer and dolly (or two hammers) and weld it up. If you can get to both sides I would run a bead on both sides then grind it smooth..

Premium Member
So the big question is how鈥檇 you crack your bucket?

Registered
No need to vee metal that thin. Drilling a hole at the end may help but I'm not sure about it. There is a greater chance of blowing a hole in it if you do either. I would try to find some metal about the same thickness to practice on first to get my heat and feed right.

I would just straighten with a hammer and dolly (or two hammers) and weld it up. If you can get to both sides I would run a bead on both sides then grind it smooth..

I had pretty good luck with an 1/8" drill bit to stop the cracks, and grinding the cracks on my snow blower housing a few months back. Welding it back up with my flux core welder worked great.

The drill hole at the end of the crack releases the stress in the metal and stops the crack from reforming. Just welding the crack back over without removing the stress in the metal makes the repair prone to the same failure down the road.

Registered
That's a great tip! Might come in handy down the road.

Reactions: Jimmy Walker

Premium Member
:D :unsure:

Senior GTT Super Slacker
Reactions: Kbar and Sparky64
1 - 20 of 25 Posts