Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to get opinions on a 2010 JD 2305 with a FEL and a 54" deck. Pros or cons on this model.
Anything to look out for on this model? Any problem areas on a 2010 model? Serial number for a 2010 year of manufacture?

thanks

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Biggest issue with that year 2305 is exposed cooling fan and hydro filter, depending on use. However you can buy guards on ebay from a guy called enventive? I have done it for mine, has turned out to be a great tractor for me. Use it on about 1 acre, and think you can get a great set up in the used market for good price.
What are you looking at hours wise?

Reactions: etcallhome

·
Super Moderator
8,129 Posts
2305? Great SCUT machines. Older models had a potential issue with the transaxle housing if using rear pto implements but that was corrected ~ 2009. If using the machine in the woods the cooling fan & hydro filter are susceptible to damage and were previously mentioned. An aftermarket shield can be purchased to avoid issues there. One simple, rugged & reliable rig! I have / had one that was bulletproof. 252 hours of mowing and snow blowing and other than one issue with a piece of debris that clogged the fuel filter, never had a problem at all.

Frank

·
Administrator
18,266 Posts
Another issue was/is the weak area around the PTO shaft, using things like rotary cutter have caused a lot of expensive damage to these machines.

There is no serial number key online, but any dealer can run it for you and give you some history.

·
GTT Vendor
1,534 Posts
Excellent machine if you don't need the ground clearance of it's big brothers. Plenty of power in a small package. The 2305 fits right into the niche of being a top notch all around estate maintenance machine for a few acres or less. Being low to the ground, it's stable on hills and getting into close areas. It doesn't need a lot of storage space and is easy to haul on a trailer too.

A couple of other drawbacks aside from the above mentions would be having a fixed ROPS (not folding), single pedal brake (not split), and lower hydraulic flow rate (somewhat slow hydraulics). But of course, hydraulic speed is subjective and as a first tractor the speed is fine.

Once you have it, you'll wonder how ever lived without it.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I've never used one but I can tell you I've seen one in hard core action.. I had a 28x26 garage built in 2010 and they used a 2305 to excavate for the foundation.. That thing literally moved tons and tons and tons of material.. And did it quickly.. That's what surprised me the most.. Its a very capable machine..

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,759 Posts
wildfox, didn't you have a JD 4115 a few years back?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I owned this model (2007 2305) with fel, 54" mdeck, 48" sblower, 4' tiller, 5' rake, 40 gal sprayer. I used it very hard for three years, put 650 hours on the little guy. Live in Northern Maine, lots of hard snow blowing, tilling, fel work, log cutting and hauling, and mowing three acres twice a week may to october. Never had a single issue other than my fuel filter froze solid several times. Switching fuel vendors solved that issue. the tractor was worth every dollar paid and if you find a well cared for, right priced 2305 you will not regret the buy. Often wish I had traded mine.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I owned this model (2007 2305) with fel, 54" mdeck, 48" sblower, 4' tiller, 5' rake, 40 gal sprayer. I used it very hard for three years, put 650 hours on the little guy. Live in Northern Maine, lots of hard snow blowing, tilling, fel work, log cutting and hauling, and mowing three acres twice a week may to october. Never had a single issue other than my fuel filter froze solid several times. Switching fuel vendors solved that issue. the tractor was worth every dollar paid and if you find a well cared for, right priced 2305 you will not regret the buy. Often wish I had traded mine.
meant to say HAD NOT TRADED mine.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have one, bought a 2010 with 75 hrs on it. 62"mmm and 53" front blower came with it. Since I've added the 200cx FEL, 48" box blade, 60" hd rear blade, middle buster and boom pole. We built on 3 acres so I needed to move dirt & rock, build gravel driveway, maintain gravel road, plant trees, bury cable, mow and blow snow.
I've thought about trading up for a little larger unit more recently but really couldn't justify it - this has/wil do all I need it to do. Oops... I'd like to get a tiller, but as reported above, am a little gunshy about the rear PTO issue this model exposed in earlier years. Been looking at ratchet rakes and iMatch/Pat's to help ease this spring's work.

The new drive-over mowers sound sweet, it takes me some time to drop or hook up mine.

image.jpg
Good luck!

·
Premium Member
9,665 Posts
I put over 300 hours on mine. I upgraded because I wanted a rotary cutter and was not excited about the possibility of destroying the transmission.

I pushed a lot of snow with mine and it was impressive at what it would do. I also ran a 60" rear mount finish mower with plenty of power for about any length of grass.

Lots of power for a little tractor. For mowing and general yard work they are hard to beat.

They do have a fixed ROPS, but it will fit under a standard garage door.

·
Registered
673 Posts
How many hours does it have, any pictures? I have a 2010 2305 and love it! As stated early I have the fan and filter protection and also have after market folding ROPS.
It is a work horse in a small package.

Doug

1 - 13 of 13 Posts