Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just curious as to what the general opinions are of the various makes of compact tractors today, besides Deere. I'm looking at Massey-Ferguson, New Holland, Kubota, and Kioti as other options in this category. Thanks.

·
Administrator
17,265 Posts
Personally, in the compact class, I'd buy a Kubota without reservation if it fit what I needed at the time, they have a few models that are really nice with great features-a few (B2301 and B2601 in particular) rival the JD equivalents in many aspects. The other three you mentioned wouldn't ever be on my radar having seen them up close.

·
Super Moderator
4,886 Posts
In my area the New Holland and Kioti dealers are pushing sale hard. They are offering equipment with specs comparable to Deere & Kubota at much lower prices but almost all of them are new dealers that all seem to be selling out of garages behind their houses. I didn't look at New Holland when I was buying but the Kioti doesn't compare when it comes to fit/finish and I had concerns about the dealer still being there and in business 5-10 years down the road. I've also heard some real horror stories about getting parts for some of the Korean-made equipment. Fixing things under warranty is expected but if it's going to take 8 months to get the parts that doesn't leave you with much.

In the long run, Deere won out for me because I *think* I can count on there being a dealer around for the long term.

·
Hey, I want a title too!
3,675 Posts
Personally, in the compact class, I'd buy a Kubota without reservation if it fit what I needed at the time, they have a few models that are really nice with great features-a few (B2301 and B2601 in particular) rival the JD equivalents in many aspects. The other three you mentioned wouldn't ever be on my radar having seen them up close.
My uncle just bought a Kubota B2601. I haven't had any seat time on it, but seems to be a quality machine. He was going back and forth between this and 1025, ended up with a better deal from Kubota.

We'll see as it gets more time if it's worse,better or equal.

Of course I'll have to haul the 4520 over to his house to dig his footing holes with the 12" auger...:laugh:

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
I'm just curious as to what the general opinions are of the various makes of compact tractors today, besides Deere. I'm looking at Massey-Ferguson, New Holland, Kubota, and Kioti as other options in this category. Thanks.
If you don't need a BH the BX would be fine, but I DO NOT see an advantage in price. Unless these back yard dealers are slashing to the bone, which I cannot imagine. The B are certainly on par. I will stick with Deere. Funny just looked again last evening.....:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

·
Registered
1,589 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
I researched them all too. The trundle pedal eliminated the Kubota for me. NH was a strong contender but the closest dealer was about 30 miles away while my deere dealer is 7. I also liked Mahindra very much, but again location, location, location.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I've had experience with a Mahindra and a Massey Ferguson that was actually a rebadged Iseki from Japan. They were both crap compared to Deere. Parts for the Massey other than filters were a week away, Deere parts never seem more than 1 or 2 days away. Be aware of new tractors that are sold out of a guys driveway or garage.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
I looked at most of them as well. Mahindra dealer went out so next closet is an hour. Plus I've heard getting parts can be a bear. For me it came down to Deere, Kubota and the Massey GC series. I really liked the Massey but only dealer is an ag dealer and didn't know much about them. Only one he had was a trade in, guy needed something bigger.

I went with the 1025r over the BX2670 mainly for the features of the auto connect deck and quick park loader. That being said I may be renting a BX23 come spring to do some light back hoe work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
10,057 Posts
I've worked on and operated larger tractors from every make you listed, and a few more. If I didn't buy a Deere, Kubota and some older New Hollands would be on my list to look at.

Mahindra and Kioti I would avoid, actually Kioti I would run like the wind. We saw "high hour" problems on Mahindras with relatively low hours, injector failures and front axle pivots wearing out. Kioti has absolutely terrible parts support. It's essentially nonexistant for older machines, and even on current models if the dealer doesn't have it in stock it can take months for parts to arrive from overseas.

·
Registered
482 Posts
When I was originally looking for a CUT, I looked at Montana dealer and they seemed to be a good tractor. The price was fantastic but I continued to look. When I went back to buy they new dealer was OUT OF BUSINESS! The possibility of buying a tractor without being able to get parts struck me hard. Never even occurred that it was possible. Bought a Deere and never looked back. I have sat on a few at Farm Progress Show and never found anything as well thought out as a Deere operating station. Hated any tractors with the treadle pedal.

The cheap price will be forgotten when you cannot get parts for a tractor you need.

I am 15 minutes from Deere world headquarters in Moline Il and know many people who make their living working for Deere. Easy choice for me.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Here's a very basic comparison between the current medium-large frame Deere's and Kubota's that I've been compiling out of curiosity. There are many other factors, but this gives a starting point. It's concerning that Kubota doesn't seem to publish much about their hydraulic specs. And in looking through their competitive documentation, mistakes and misquotes can be found all over the place.

This is a work in progress. Specs are taken from manufacturer sales information.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
Interesting comment. Do you see disadvantages to the Backhoe for the BX series?

Tim
On the site you seemingly could not order a BX With a backhoe. B series yes, BX series no.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
210 Posts
I considered Kabota and new holland when I bought my first tractor a 2210. In fact the jd dealer sold both Kabota and John Deere so I tried both out side by side. I like some things on Kabota but the little things on Deere won out, foot pedals, loader joy stick position.

After owning the 2210 for 13 years I won't consider anything else. Number one is parts the few things I needed were in stock or available within a day or two. The other thing is resale, I don't think anything holds its value like a jd. I used my 2210 for 13 years put 480 hours on it and traded it in on a new jd for about 400 dollars less then I paid for it.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I looked a kubota and JD, bought the JD, should have bought the Kubota. I bought the JD because every one said the other equipment was better than Kubota's. My buddy has a 10 year old Kubota and I have had far more problems with the 2025r with 50 hrs on it than he has had on his over the 10 years. He also has a front snow blower, hasn't had to replace anything in 10 years, mine didn't make it through the first snow storm without having to be fixed.

so lets lists the problems, the piece of metal that holds the over flow pipe vibrates so much it was wearing a hole in the over flow pipe, another one of the pieces of metal fell off in the drive way, luckily found it and put it back on, still can't figure out what it's on there for, the switch in the seat keeps freezing up and I have to beat on it to get it to unfreeze(dealer said if it breaks under warranty they will replace it), replaced the fuel filter as it came with water in it, I have noticed that every time I go to fill up with fuel in the winter I have ice on the cap and the little ledge below it. I use the same fuel in my truck and my other tractor, no problem with water in the fuel(so for some reason the tank is causing condensation, checked the cap works fine). I won't even get into having to take the tractor apart to grease the front jerk.

the first time I used the snow blower the arm that holds the drive shaft in place for loading fell off, found it and put it back on, had to replace the two chinese bearing under warranty,
now the two Japanese bearings they replaced them with are working fine, how much would it have cost them to put good bearings on it in the first place. I have all the numbers listed to replace the plastic impeller(which is looking a bit rough as I have a gravel driveway), and the chain and the bearings in the upper part.

Then we go into the operators manual, was looking for a fuse, the manual has the wrong fuse set up for the 2025, but the one in the manual for a 3032 is the correct set up. so I use the wiring diagram in the tech. manual to find the wire I need for an extra light. the manual says it's a white/red wire, it's not it's really a yellow/red wire.

so other than that it's a very nice tractor, and I get along with the salesman better than the salesman at the Kubota dealership.:flag_of_truce:

·
Premium Member
10,932 Posts
the switch in the seat keeps freezing up and I have to beat on it to get it to unfreeze(dealer said if it breaks under warranty they will replace it
I had the same problem. The good news is there is an easy fix for the seat switch. Granted, it requires a few months to "take effect" but once complete you'll have no more switch problems.

Twinkies.jpg

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,196 Posts
On the site you seemingly could not order a BX With a backhoe. B series yes, BX series no.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
Last I knew you could buy a BH for a BX. Granted I haven't checked in a few years. As for the OP, you should also check on the Yanmar if you want to look at different makes. The Yanmar, JD, Massy, Kubota and Ford are all good tractor with their own faults. It comes down to the buyer's preference. What do you like and what don't you like. Get the one that has a dealer that will always be there and give good service and the tractor that has the most things you like and the least you don't like. Yes my 1026R had a few things I didn't like, RIO, seat shut-off switch were the 2 main ones. Disconnected both, no more problem. As for the little things, all tractors will have them and I know how to fix them. My tractor went to the dealer twice because it was under warranty. Since it's not under warranty it hasn't been back to the dealer. The 2210 I had previous was at the dealer twice in the 10 years I had it. So far I'm on par. Good luck in your decision.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts