Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to be taking down a mature swamp maple tree. I have the know how and gas chains saws to fell the tree.
I am considering buying a pole saw for faster clean up. No hurry really, just the way I roll. :laugh:
Does anyone want to share what pole saw they bought and their likes and dislikes. I prefer not to buy a high end saw for the limited use it will receive.
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
5,632 Posts
I've had this one for a couple years now. I think this one depicted is a newer version, not sure. I'll have to look and see my exact model number.
I have used the crap out of this saw, and other than having to put a new chain on it after trying to saw through barbed wire:banghead:, it has been nothing but awesome for me.
Fairly certain the price was in the neighborhood of 130.00.

https://remingtonpowertools.com/product/rm2599-maverick/

Just went down to garage and checked. Same saw.

·
Premium Member
6,033 Posts
I have the Remington electric pole saw. It must be 10 years old now but always starts on the first pull of the trigger and has never given me a bit of problems.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I went to a rental center recently to check out what they had for pole pruner. They had a nice Echo extendable gas pole saw for rental. Rental price was fair. I took the pole saw off their display rack, to check it out. In the extended position, for me it was WAY to heavy. If I were to only use it in the vertical position, I could probably use it. I do not have the luxury of standing underneath the limbs that need to be removed. Should I be elevated off the ground. Yes. With a ladder, no.
Still thinking.

·
Registered
610 Posts
I've got a gas Echo pole saw, and I love it. https://www.echo-usa.com/Products/Power-Pruners/PPT-2620 I have no experience with the electrics, but I can see the appeal. Unless you're doing a a bunch of trimming regularly, it's going to sit a lot and electric might be better in that regard. Unless you have a generator, it limits you usage area, though.

Fully extended, it is a handful and you have to plan your cuts pretty well so you don't get the bar trapped. 90% of my usage is not extended very far or at all. It's the perfect length collapsed to use as a gauge for trimming trees I want to mow under and not lose my eyeball.

·
Registered
23,288 Posts
Here is my review on the Harbor Freight cordless electric pole saw -

pole saw review

I used it every day last summer for months cleaning up a huge pine tree.

810CC5B0-03E4-4081-98DB-6AAE81B63BDE.jpg

Reactions: CADplans

·
Registered
59 Posts
I bought the Stihl HT103. It’s not the largest saw they make but it does what it’s supposed to.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
1000W inverters can be had for $100 these days. Not having one is kinda silly. You can have 120V power anywhere you can drive and it's way easier than dragging a generator with you just to run a little hand tool.

I have a battery powered sawzall and circular saw, even a cordless grinder - the only one of the three that isn't weak-sauce in comparison to it's corded brethren is the circ saw, and that's only because it's so much lighter. The grinder lacks any torque, and the sawzall eats batteries faster than Giz buys gimbal ratchets on clearance.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
I have the Stihl Combi system. With this tool you buy one power head and whatever attachments you might need. Like a pole saw. It was also worth buying the extension pole.
Went to borrow a coworkers Ryobi tool that was a similar setup. After one seasons use the engine's carb was toast. So I got fed up trying to get it running and went out to buy my own. Seeing this BBS unit was such a POS I shopped for something better.

Just pole saw attachment and power head are a good length for cutting limbs on the ground. I have successfully used it for this many times. It is also great for reaching under bushes to cut them down.

·
Premium Member
6,109 Posts
If you're close to 120V, I have a Remington corded saw, works fine for around $80, if you don't mind dragging a cord around. I've had a Poulan gas saw for about twice the price, lasted me for several years with lighter use. paid for it's self with the job I bought it for.

I just recently bought an Oregon 40V: Farm 2018 010.jpg I also have the matching 14" chainsaw (pictured) and the leaf blower in the Oregon 40V system. Haven't used it much yet, but very satisfied with it so far!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts