Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a call from a friend who showed me a model 47 backhoe complete and for sale cheap. It was too small for what they wanted and no one seems interested (It's too small). My little brain perked right up. He sent me pics and it's in real nice shape. My biggest question is: Will it fit on my 3005. What subframe plates would I have to get. I know a model 7 will go on a 3005. so what is the difference and will it work. Will I have to get a power beyond kit as well? Any help or ideas would be helpful. I know I will have to move quick but if it's do-able I can get it for around $1500

Attachments

·
Registered
714 Posts
Just go buy it, that is cheap. Make it fit later. If it wont fit you will make $$. Snooze ya lose.

Reactions: sterling40man

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,816 Posts
what he said ^^^^

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
I agree with ToddM too. it will be different. You could always buy the mount for the 7 and then weld it up to make it work. You will also need a PB circuit as well.

·
Premium Member
14,899 Posts
Agree with the others G O B U Y I T

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here goes nothin

It will be available on the 3rd (Estate thing) from what I understand. Grovelling to the wife for the cash. She see's the potential uses already. Sounds like a "Honey Do List" which I will gladly do. Once I have the hoe I'll order up a subframe unit for a model 7 and get the power beyond kit put on the tractor. This will probably cost me another $1000 or so. I'm thinking the 7 has different mounts than the 47 since the 47 has 4 large pins that go through the mount. I can fabricate a nice heavy bracket with the 4 holes at the right height/spacing. If anyone has a picture or diagram of the model 47's subframe and mounting bracket I would sure appreciate it if you'd post it. I have my work ahead of me. Thanks for your help and encouragement.

·
Premium Member
1,074 Posts
I believe that it's the same unit that I have for my 4200. Mine mounted on side plates that mount over the axels, and bolt onto the rear differencial. I bought mine on Ebay and had to drive to Jersey to pick it up $3500-! Then I had to buy the Side Plates and Power Beyond kit. Your looking at a 'deal', if it will fit for you! ~Scotty

Edit- Well after a 1/2 hour search through JDParts.com. They are two different mounting configurations. The 47 mounts on side plates as I described. The 3005 tractor runs a 7,8,8A,8B,10, &10A Hoe that mounts via a sub-frame. Anythings possiable with enough 'fab' work! You may want to resell it for a profit, and buy a hoe and frame made for your rig. Thats a great price for the 47 hoe...........

(Maybe even "trade bait" to your dealer!)

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
It will be available on the 3rd (Estate thing) from what I understand. Grovelling to the wife for the cash. She see's the potential uses already. Sounds like a "Honey Do List" which I will gladly do. Once I have the hoe I'll order up a subframe unit for a model 7 and get the power beyond kit put on the tractor. This will probably cost me another $1000 or so. I'm thinking the 7 has different mounts than the 47 since the 47 has 4 large pins that go through the mount. I can fabricate a nice heavy bracket with the 4 holes at the right height/spacing. If anyone has a picture or diagram of the model 47's subframe and mounting bracket I would sure appreciate it if you'd post it. I have my work ahead of me. Thanks for your help and encouragement.
So were you able to get it?

·
Registered
60 Posts
If that puppy were anywhere near Colorado, I'd snap it up for $1,500.
for $1500 you almost gotta buy it even if you don't have a tractor...:thumbup1gif:

Damn! that's short money...

·
Registered
992 Posts
I would want to try that as well for that price. Down here you could easily resell if it didn't work out, North Pole Ak might be a little harder to find a buyer, you are most likely the best judge of that. It looks like it is not missing to much but I know from living up there in the 70's that things are much harder to come by and the price is a bit harsher than outside as well. Nice little unit that definitely has it's limitations. Good luck.

·
Registered
992 Posts
I don't know have deep your perma frost melts each year but it could be that won't dig through the frost and thats why it is available.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Driving down

I leave the morning of the 4th to go get it. I think it is too big for my machine but...... Can't resist. I'm driving down to visit folks in OR this fall. If I can't figure out how to build a sub-frame with the large plate to mount the backhoe then I'll haul it South and put it up for sale down in the lesser 48. I'm pretty sure we can figure out a mounting system that is stout and can be fabricated. Between a plasma cutter and a wire feed welder something can be made to work. Pics I've seen of the model 7 subframe are straight forward. If you turned it up 90 degrees at the back then doubled the plate thickness and engineered the right height/angle/diameter of the holes for the mount pins it should be a nice strong set-up. I know... Just add it to the list of projects.
On our ranch we don't have much permafrost. The ground freezes down about 5 feet in the winter but thaws well by Late June - early July. You can do alot of dirt work until October when temps go down and stay down so the ground freezes deep again. Nice thing up here is tree roots are shallow. That backhoe will be handy for ripping up the roots then tipping out stumps and digging ditches for burying my electric stuff. I never want to run over extension cords while clearing snow again. I hate that. I'll post pics when we start cuttin and fabricating up a subframe and bracket.
It's -25 this morning. It's supposed to warm up to +20 by mid next week. Woo Hoo I'm breaking out my Jimmy Buffet shirts.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,816 Posts
1 - 20 of 36 Posts