Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody come up with a mod to put a FWD indicator on the 1025R (ok I know its digital- your fingers feeling for the lever under the seat). The lazy amongst us (me) would like something more convenient- given I'm shuttling in/out even while mowing (to back up the 60" without rear tearout-4, then turn while mowing without front tearout-2).

I just scoured the TM for hints (the 'puter is next to the AC and its 95 here in Lakeville and us Boston yankees still aint used to it:laugh:). Anyhoo, i only see sliding couplings with on status or sentry switches hidden inside the box that could have an output 'borrowed'. Am I right on that?

So... that leaves getting an input from lever position alone. Other Ideas appreciated but I see:
1. hall effect sensor - but would it detect a stationary ferrous object rather than turning splines (like your ABS tone rings)??
2. infrared photoelectric detector (we use em alot on the scale trains- crossing and track occupancy detectors) BUT, light beam?? in a tractor environment (mud, spray, etc)??
3. lever microswitch (and eventually the filth works into the switch...)
4. Strap a magnet to the lever (could we magnetize the dang lever??) and pirate a sealed magnetic reed switch???

:question:
lots to think about... if you've time to waste!!:lol:
All thoughts appreciated pos/neg (I can take it)...

Premium Member
Doesn't it have an indicator light on the instrument panel?
No sir, gave us a temp gauge but no idiot lite for the MFWD. All things being equal I鈥檒l take the temp gauge and just remember to take it out of MFWD.

Registered
You should be able to feel the difference in the steering wheel. If not just look at the position of the 4WD lever it鈥檚 no different than looking at a light indication. Think of it as an indication between day and night. Day is light and night it鈥檚 dark.

Registered
No sir, gave us a temp gauge but no idiot lite for the MFWD. All things being equal I鈥檒l take the temp gauge and just remember to take it out of MFWD.
I believe there is a little green lighted icon that you can see when you are starting up... but on mine it does not come on when I am in 4wd. I don't think it ever has.
Apparently, I'm a dumbass. My 2320 has a green indicator light at the top left corner of the instrument panel. However, it is easy to tell when it is in 4WD, just by feel.

I would rather have a temperature gauge also.:banghead:

Registered
I can understand how you would be able to tell by "feel" if you were in 4wd - if you were on relatively smooth ground. I can't tell, too much bumping and jostling around. Not only that but I keep forgetting which way is engaged and which isn't so I usually have to stop and stare at the little icons, then check again because the only difference is a small slash.

So yeah, I wish there was some kind of indicator.

Reactions: DanW and spferdil

Premium Member
I think this is another case where Deere dropped the ball again. It would appear the bean counters scored another win on the lack of MFWD indicator light for the 1025R/2025R. Could there also be other 1-3 series tractors that lack the dash board indicator light? To me this would be a typical 'E' series tractor design. The 'R' series tractors are the top of the line, all the bells and whistles units. What did Deere save by not adding the MFWD lights, a couple bucks per unit, when you think of the thousands and thousands of the 1025R/2025R's produced.

My vote would be to have it included, and while they are at it, they could also modify the MFWD lever so it's a little more intuitive to reach for and shift.

Sometimes it's the little things that make or break a sale to the competitors tractors. This issue is one that Deere could and should rectify.

Registered
I can understand how you would be able to tell by "feel" if you were in 4wd - if you were on relatively smooth ground. I can't tell, too much bumping and jostling around. Not only that but I keep forgetting which way is engaged and which isn't so I usually have to stop and stare at the little icons, then check again because the only difference is a small slash.

So yeah, I wish there was some kind of indicator.
If you ever have driven an old 4WD truck the indicators are adjacent to the lever or on the handle indicating 4WD high, 4WD low, and neutral. So just add a simple decal on the adjacent fender area to indicate 4WD forward and 2WD towards the rear.
No wires or lights to go wrong. I try to not make a simple function complicated where things fail.:bigthumb:

Even a magic marker 4WD and 2WD would suffice.

Registered
It just occurred to me that the 1025 and 2025 have a different shifter mechanism than the 2320. Sorry. Like Kenny said, sometimes Old Geezers misinterpret things.

Registered
I'm another who forgets which way is which on the 4x4 shifter since this is not my only machine, and its hard to see the little icons under the seat when sitting in it. Also find the shifter a bit hard to find when sitting in the seat. Are these deal-breakers? - No. Is it nit-picking? - maybe. Can I live with it? - obviously yes. But I find it strange that when JD could do something as nifty on the 1025r as make the hour meter also an indicator for PTO rpm that they could not add a simple light to indicate whether in 4 wheel drive or not. JMHO.

Registered
I could use a light to let me know if I'm in 4 wheel or not. I find sometimes I couldn't tell you how many months it's been in 4 wheel. Unless I notice some grass tear out in the yard. Or things gonna get ugly and I go to put it in only to find there already. Also find it hard to tell just by looking down, I guess I know that in my sleep, but for silly reason, I like to SEE it to be sure.
Like others said, I don't know how one could tell or not, my yards to rough.

Registered
Does anybody know definitively how large of tractors use the same cluster as our 1025R/2025R, and have a functioning MFWD indicator lamp? I was also annoyed at the lack of its utility when clearly the cluster is able to use it.

Naturally nothing shows up on the 1025R factory manuals wiring diagram, but I'm just trying to see what the possible input required is to activate the lamp.

Thanks for any info!

Registered
Discussion Starter #14
OK so... Thanks for the input and looks like we have divided opinions... some want, some dont. I started this thread because I find: when I can feel the difference between 2 and 4 its likely because I've already done the terrain damage and, as far as just knowing the lever position on my 1025R its about the only lever (except the ROD spool knob??) not clearly visible from a proper operators position-mines under my seat and doesn't extend beyond its outline. I dont currently run Midmounts but even the Height control can be seen by looking straight down.

So...that was my motivation

For anyone interested, unless a better solution is offered, I'm thinking a sealed (marine?) plunger switch mounted behind the level (based on the cowling mount) and wired NC (normal closed) 2WD would hold the switch OPEN, extinguishing a panel indicator, 4WD would release the switch, close the circuit and light the indicator. Could go for digital indicator but once upon a time that challenge was... challenging:geek:, at my age its just a migraine!:laugh: This way I figure i'm in its for the switch ($$), LED indicator, wire (duh) and, if I'm real paranoid, another vacant fuse position on the panel powered in the run position (or...there is that previously wired horn circuit:p

Off to West Marine.com:captain:

Registered
Discussion Starter #15
As Mentioned, decals on the fender would be BONUS and nothing to break or wear out...cept my mind already knows where those positions are (yes, I can also play guitar with my eyes closed...poorly...same as when they're opened) and... my eyes still cannot see that danged stubby lever under the seat so what'd I gain?...

Registered
I'm not prone to putting any of my vehicles in four wheel drive and forgetting about it as I know about the stress buildup in the driveline and don't want it there unnecessarily.
However I would sure like an indicator as there would not be much cost involved in installing it.
It would be seriously nice to find out the pin on the instrument cluster that illuminated the unused icon.

Registered
Discussion Starter #17
I just checked and from what I can see at 'bulb check' my 2016 dash does NOT have a 4WD station (those evasive, nonfunctioning, station-specific PTO and trailer indicators, yes) so I'd be on my own for an indicator. Just ordered a couple Cherry-Hil spdt switches (us made, us marketed) to be here next week (think they still come from Jersey). I'll let y'all know how this works out. They're bendable long Lever switches so can be adjusted for shifter travel, std. blade terminals so can be protected. The switch would mount nicely on the outside lip of the metal slot through which the shifter excurses (dang I never get to use that word!) giving me a solid, vibration-resistant mount (unlike the old airfilters???:laugh:).

Applying the KISS method, think I'll tap 12V from my horn fuse (its Ign+, not Bat+) carry to a dash 12V LED, with the grounding lead travelling back to the switch and a local ground. Less wire, less sweat...

let you know how it goes and try to get pictures at install and testing.

Registered
Well if your newer machine doesn't have a dash icon I'll guess mine doesn't either.
I like your electrical plan, just one wire to fish the distance, clever.

Reactions: PJR832 and JD4044M

Registered
Discussion Starter #19
Many years (tooo many) and many wires - radio stations and otherwise.:laugh:

Now the "worn out" surgical instruments from my animal hospital get retired to the toolbox...
In model railroading we have these tiny DCC connector plugs perople always pull the wires out of when disconnecting- Babcock intestinal forceps (they have looped, fat, parallel jaws grab right around the wires and pull the plug.
My prize for auto/tractor wiring is a set of polypus forceps (smaller ones in MicroMark) they are long wands with gator jaws that open on the end used for grabbing tissues in, well, places... Need a wire through a firewall boot?? close em- push em through, open jaws, grab wire, close and pull it home!!:bigthumb:

BTW still undecided- looks like I could mount switch nose forward and wire NO as a detent-in-four or nose back and NC as a hold-off-in two. Thats the nice thing about SPDT- two options. I'll know when the switches get here...

Registered
I think this is another case where Deere dropped the ball again. It would appear the bean counters scored another win on the lack of MFWD indicator light for the 1025R/2025R. Could there also be other 1-3 series tractors that lack the dash board indicator light? To me this would be a typical 'E' series tractor design. The 'R' series tractors are the top of the line, all the bells and whistles units. What did Deere save by not adding the MFWD lights, a couple bucks per unit, when you think of the thousands and thousands of the 1025R/2025R's produced.

My vote would be to have it included, and while they are at it, they could also modify the MFWD lever so it's a little more intuitive to reach for and shift.

Sometimes it's the little things that make or break a sale to the competitors tractors. This issue is one that Deere could and should rectify.
Call me old school as I do not need a indicator on the dash to remind me I am in 4WD. However, I do agree the lever is in a bad location and not intuitive what so ever. Change that and I am happy.

I know this post is about having one and like a builder/contractor cuts the smallest of corners when building several homes or many in a sub-division it adds up. I bet the bean counters with JD had this same discussion. I just say if it truly would cost lets say $5 per unit then charge $5 per unit more.....no one knows the difference!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts