Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have experience with an orchard float and a land plane/grader for gravel road maintenance? I need something better/easier/quicker han my 48" box blade. The 48- 60" land planes are crazy expensive vs a box blade. Floats are even less money than the plane, so I'm considering making a float or buying one. I can't find a rental or used land plane or float near Sacramento.

·
Registered
747 Posts
I'm curious, what is an "orchard float"?

I agree that the land plane/grading scrapers are expensive, but I'm going to look at one later today.

I've been looking at either a Land Pride GS0548 or a GS0560. Both are sized for the sub compact tractor as far as weight and 3 point hitch goes. I tried to find a Woods GSS54 locally, but the dealer that Woods listed on their web site says they don't carry Woods products. They wanted to sell me a Frontier LP1160 for $1600 + tax. The L-P versions are under $1000 and they both have scarifiers, where the Frontier does not.

I have been dragging an old fashioned bed spring on the driveway, but I'd like to update.

DSCF7501 - Copy.JPG

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
An orchard float is similar to the land planes you're looking at, but less expensive. The LP has flat runners on the sides where the float has straight sides like a box blade. The float usually has straight blades instead of blades at an angle to direction of travel. Floats are used to smooth out the ruts made by ag equipment between tree rows. A guy 90 miles from me will make a 3 pt 5' float for $750. I need to check on the weight to ensure it'll do the job on my driveways. Yours look much nicer than mine. Weight varies greatly on LPs and floats tend to be lighter. If that bed spring works for you, a float sure would do it for less $$. Look up Flynn Welding and Machine Works, Chico, CA to see a good
float. I'm sure you could have one made locally. I'm considering making one myself.

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Flynn Welding and Machine Works is in Orland, CA, not Chico. My mistake.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Flynn Welding and Machine Works is in Orland, CA, not Chico. My mistake.

Thanks, it looks like they make some interesting stuff. I see their 60" standard orchard float is listed at 315 pounds and it's kind of similar to the grading scraper/land planes.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Hi,

I'd suggest the orchard float. If you have other "projects"-- like arena or pasture maintenance-- they have more utility.

Also, for where you and I live (Sacramento Area) there will be greater resale to orchard owners.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Well, I learned something today. I thought I had built a "land plane", but it turns out to be an "orchard float". :good2:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I have a 60 inch land plane I use with my 3025E. It works great. Yes, it's a chunk of change but again it does what I ask. Now, since cost is a factor, have you considered a Land Scape Rake? I have one (no wheel kit) and it does a decent job on my driveway as well. They are usually cheaper than a land scape rake unless you are buying a wheel kit. Land Scape rakes (at least here in NC) turn up a lot more often on craigslist than land planes. Anyways something to consider...:greentractorride:

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, first off - thanks for your input. I've continued working the BB and I'm getting better at it. I think this job would be easier with a land plane/grader, but cost is paramount. The float is a poor substitute because of the design differences. I considered a rake, but it doesn't seem aggressive enough. The job's done for this season and a rented vibrating roller did a nice job of compacting the gravel into the soil. Benefit? Nothing taking up space or needing maintenance, and the compaction was really great. Maybe I'll stumble on a land plane deal.

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts