Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,109 Posts
:banghead::banghead::banghead: :lolol:

I have no clue either, too new. Wish I had your questions.

Congratulation weatherby460. Appears to be a mighty fine tractor.
Welcome to GTT. :thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
I've read a fair amount about the 2-series in recent weeks with the planning and purchase of my 2520. General consensus seems to be that tractors of this size are not optimum for mowing a 'nice' lawn. They can burn through acreage quickly but they are harder on the ground when turning or on hills. And 4WD use can really tear up the grass compared to a 2WD or AWD tractor (like the x7-series). Wider mowers, in my experience from going to the 60" on my x758, tend to not mow as evenly when the lawn has contour to it.

People seem to either gravitate towards an x7-series to be an all-around tractor or get a 2- or 3-series for big stuff and a dedicated lawn tractor or ZTR for mowing. That doesn't mean your 2038R won't do well for you, but it may not be as good as you hope it would be for mowing lawns. Now if you have large, flat acreage to mow without a ton of hills or things to mow around you may be perfectly happy.

For me, I'm sticking with the x758 for mowing my 7 acres of my 10 acre lot and the 2520 will be a utility tractor.

Rob

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
I just ordered a 2038R with the 72" MMM.

How do these mowers do for mowing lawns?

Also, will a 6.5' box framed plow (850lbs) be to much for this tractor to handle?

Thanks
Congrats on the tractor, you will enjoy it no doubt. For the mowing part, what tires did you order it with? Tires will make some difference in how the tractor and your lawn "get along". As far as the mmm, what are your expectations? Are you extremely picky in cut quality or are you the type that as long as the grass gets cut and it looks decent, your pleased?
The disc, what is the soil type you plan to run it in? That will make some difference. I run a 7' disk that my granddad bought new along with a Massey Ferguson 135 in 1966. I have no clue what it weighs but it's stupid heavy for the size. I have been told my tractor wouldn't lift it or pull it (mind you I have been told this after disking many acres with it) and in some soil types it very well may not do it. Does great for me in the soil we have here but I would be happier with a 6' for trailering purposes. At 850lbs I don't think you will have a issue in carrying it and in my opinion you will pull it fine but if your planning on trailering the equipment semi often for the food plots, you might be happier with a 5 or 6' disk.

·
Registered
21,502 Posts
I've read a fair amount about the 2-series in recent weeks with the planning and purchase of my 2520. General consensus seems to be that tractors of this size are not optimum for mowing a 'nice' lawn. They can burn through acreage quickly but they are harder on the ground when turning or on hills. And 4WD use can really tear up the grass compared to a 2WD or AWD tractor (like the x7-series). Wider mowers, in my experience from going to the 60" on my x758, tend to not mow as evenly when the lawn has contour to it.

People seem to either gravitate towards an x7-series to be an all-around tractor or get a 2- or 3-series for big stuff and a dedicated lawn tractor or ZTR for mowing. That doesn't mean your 2038R won't do well for you, but it may not be as good as you hope it would be for mowing lawns. Now if you have large, flat acreage to mow without a ton of hills or things to mow around you may be perfectly happy.

For me, I'm sticking with the x758 for mowing my 7 acres of my 10 acre lot and the 2520 will be a utility tractor.

Rob
Yup - my original setup when I bought my 2520 8 years ago was that with the loader and my 757 zero-turn - best of both worlds! But had to downsize/downgrade when I had to stop working so I had to sell the 757 and bought a 62D belly mower.

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,201 Posts
Congrats on the tractor, you will enjoy it no doubt. For the mowing part, what tires did you order it with? Tires will make some difference in how the tractor and your lawn "get along". As far as the mmm, what are your expectations? Are you extremely picky in cut quality or are you the type that as long as the grass gets cut and it looks decent, your pleased?
The disc, what is the soil type you plan to run it in? That will make some difference. I run a 7' disk that my granddad bought new along with a Massey Ferguson 135 in 1966. I have no clue what it weighs but it's stupid heavy for the size. I have been told my tractor wouldn't lift it or pull it (mind you I have been told this after disking many acres with it) and in some soil types it very well may not do it. Does great for me in the soil we have here but I would be happier with a 6' for trailering purposes. At 850lbs I don't think you will have a issue in carrying it and in my opinion you will pull it fine but if your planning on trailering the equipment semi often for the food plots, you might be happier with a 5 or 6' disk.
What he said. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
They do have different kinds of tires to pick from. For all around for me I'd go with the one that looks like a turf tire but has the tread positioned like an AG or R-4 tire. Kind of like having the best of both worlds. If you're not wanting a golf course type lawn then you're going to love what you're getting. 38 HP can do a lot of work. I wouldn't mind having your questions. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Just being humorous here, whatever timeframe the dealer told you it would take to receive your tractor, add 2-4 weeks.

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,201 Posts
Just being humorous here, whatever timeframe the dealer told you it would take to receive your tractor, add 2-4 weeks.
And add to that, it is a new tractor so it depends where the first ones get sent to first. :dunno:

·
Registered
200 Posts
If the dealer doesn't have a date I would guess you should have it by sometime in may, mine was 3 weeks late and it was one of the first ordered. Great machine love mine so far.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,109 Posts
Boy - I don't know if I could commit to a purchase of this magnitude without an ETA.
Order a new vehicle. They will give you an ETA that means......nothing.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Boy - I don't know if I could commit to a purchase of this magnitude without an ETA.
Agreed. When I was shopping last spring I heard 8 weeks at the first dealer and 4 weeks the second dealer. I paid a little bit more at the second dealer, but it was worth it to me to not have to wait another month.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
515 Posts
I ordered my tractor in oct 16, and just got it about two weeks ago! Can't imagine it would be nearly that long of a wait!

Congrats

Brett

·
Premium Member
4,740 Posts
I just ordered a 2038R with the 72" MMM.

How do these mowers do for mowing lawns?

Also, will a 6.5' box framed plow (850lbs) be to much for this tractor to handle?

Thanks

I ordered mine right at the beginning of January and I will pick it up tomorrow. I went with the 72 inch MMM as well on the 2038r. My 400 has a 60 inch deck and I will still have it if I need to finish the front lawn nicely. Outback I am sure the 72 inch will do a great job and I figured I might as well have the bigger deck on this one. Everyone seems to have an opinion on the 72's if they're too big or not. We will see. I see your in Northern IL as well. I guess as long as they go by my place and your place on the same day they will figure it looks normal! :bigthumb:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts