Green Tractor Talk banner

Ordered a new tilt trailer this week.

7K views 44 replies 17 participants last post by  cc1999 
#1 · (Edited)
I decided to trade off both my pipe tops and get me a serious tilt equipment trailer.
Power tilt, power jack, winch, and drive over fenders.

Trading off this 20ft pipe top that’s been my go to equip trailer for the past 4 years.

As well as this 14ft pipe top that I seldom ever use.

Here is a video of a near identical high optioned HD PJ tilt trailer to the one I ordered this week.
Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Tire Wheel Sky Vehicle Car

Tire Wheel Vehicle Land vehicle Car

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Sky

Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Hood

Automotive tail & brake light Tire Wheel Vehicle registration plate Vehicle

Automotive side-view mirror Automotive mirror Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive lighting

See less See more
1 9
#2 ·
I decided to trade off both my pipe tops and get me a serious tilt equipment trailer.
Power tilt, power jack, winch, and drive over fenders.

Trading off this 20ft pipe top that’s been my go to equip trailer for the past 4 years.

As well as this 14ft pipe top that I seldom ever use.

Here is a video of a near identical high optioned HD PJ tilt trailer to the one I ordered this week.
What axles are you getting?

#7 ·
On all my trucks I had a warn 9,000 lbs winches and a snatch block for them. The snatch comes in handy from doubling your pull to some angle pulling when needed. Very nice trailer👍👍

Reactions: gdow and cc1999
#8 ·
I have Load Trail 18' tilt trailer. It came with 7K torsion axles. 16' tilts, fenders are not drive over.
The plug on mine was wired wrong the charge circuit matched the backup lights on my Suburban. I picked the trailer up on the way to work (2nd shift). When I got up the next morning the power tilt did not work. I put a charger on the battery and saw the backup lights on the Suburban come on.
Then I found it had no taillights, turn signals, or brake lights. They way they routed the wires, they got pinched in the tilt hinges. No cut though, but flattened enough those lights did not work.
I spent that morning fixing the wiring on a new trailer :mad:
I also got rid of all the "Scotch lock splices" they used.
Other than poor wiring a great trailer.
It's a 2005 model year and now is in need of new deck boards, a project for next year, or maybe just sell it? :unsure:

Reactions: cc1999
#9 ·
Here is the Full TS model Build spec that I have on order.
Font Rectangle Parallel Screenshot Number

Font Rectangle Circle Number Screenshot

#10 ·
That one in the pictures sure looks tongue heavy with that ford on it.
Why the split deck?

#11 ·
That is just how the TS model is made. They do have standard width tilts that are full deck tilts.
I think I prefer the split deck, now that I am thinking about it. I think it keeps things I am driving up in or on a little bit closer to the ground.

#13 ·
It has a roller on the edge lead edge of the tilt deck for the winch line to feed on.
The winch is still mounted on the front stationary deck.
You can see it in the middle right under the Ford trucks front bumper in this pic .

#14 ·
Those are drive over fenders?

#15 · (Edited)
Yes.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Hood Automotive tire

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Automotive tire

Reactions: Big
#16 ·
Here is a better pic of that winch cable roller.
Wood Rectangle Floor Automotive exterior Bumper

#17 ·
Most of the drive over fenders I've seen have been allot lower profile. It just looks really tall. Maybe pic angle.

#19 ·
I agree, would be better if they were shorter. May have something to do with the tilt function of the trailer.
This is the PJ Gas Monkey special, it’s a wide deck, with drive over fenders, but it’s not a tilt. This is a little more like the fender height I was thinking of as well.
Automotive parking light Tire Car Wheel Land vehicle

Tire Car Land vehicle Wheel Vehicle

Car Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire

#20 ·
I thought about adding a winch but knew it could not be used when tilted. I never considered adding a roller!
Mine is only 18' with a 16' tilt.
I could use the battery for the hydraulic pump.
One thing I did add was "light poles" like used on semi-tractor front bumpers so I could see the rear of the trailer when backing it up empty.

#23 ·
Yea extra lighting for loading or unloading at night I think will be nice.

I do have that same light bar seen on this Gas monkey trailer ordered for my tilt.

Reactions: Zebrafive
#21 ·
PJ sure likes their trailers. Is their weld quality good? That second trailer you show pics of has a mighty wavy deck. That wouldn't get out of my buddy's shop.

#22 · (Edited)
Yea, it can be questionable for sure.
I showed few pics of some less then Steller welds in my recently purchased PJ deck over dump trailer.

All in all I have been very happy with PJ quality over the past 20 years and 15 or more PJs I have owned.

#25 ·
Absolutely!!!! I 100% love a that power monster jack feature.

This will be my 4th trailer to have that feature.
My old Dump trailer had it along with my current Dump trailer as well as my 24ft Deck over has one too.

That is pretty much the first option box that I check now . lol

With both my pipe tops soon to be gone, I actually dropped off the 14ft pipe top to my PJ Dealer yesterday.
Once this new Tilt trailer comes in, that will leave only my HH enclosed trailers that will still have those old fashion hand crank jacks. LOL

Reactions: ttazzman
#26 ·
I got my new power tilt trailer about a month ago.
Turned out pretty nice had to make a few minor tweaks to how the winch was setup .

Got to put it to work today hauling my 3046R in for some repairs this morning.

Sky Hood Road surface Asphalt Motor vehicle

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive tire

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Sky Motor vehicle

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Bumper Fender

Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Car

Car Wheel Vehicle Tire Hood

Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Tree

Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wheel Automotive exterior

Tire Wheel Sky Land vehicle Vehicle

#27 ·
Here’s a few more pics .
Wheel Tire Sky Vehicle Land vehicle

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Sky Vehicle

Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting

Car Wheel Vehicle Tire Hood

Wheel Automotive tire Tire Tread Motor vehicle

Here’s a video demonstrating how handy having a wireless remote for a power tilt trailer can be.

Also went and retrieved the trailer from the back of my property were I keep my trailers, without getting out of the cab. Used the truck cameras to backup the trailer ball up under the hitch, since the trailer has one of those new auto lock hitches, all I had to do was push the lower button on the remote . Hitched up to it, moved it up to barn and loaded up the tractor.
After getting out to load the tractor I did plug in the lights and hooked the safety chains.

Also have had wireless remote on my last two dump trailer as well. Just love that feature .

#28 ·
What brand is come up winch:LOL:

#29 ·
Never heard of them. Winch brand Wasn’t something I really had any choice in, as far as factory installed winches were concerned you just got to pic the size from about 3 choices, I just went with the most powerful option they offered.
‘Cost wasn’t all that much more from the least to the most power model.

Here is a link to come up winch website.

I figure If it turns out to be a POS, I can always sap it out for a Warn later.

Reactions: DRobinson and Big
#34 · (Edited)
No tilt lock, I think that’s a gravity tilt feature. There is not any tilt locks that I saw.
I assume that’s because it’s a power tilt.

#32 ·
Yea, the winch is one of those just in case sort of tools.
Just in case a tractor,gator, truck, whatever is down, and needs drug up on the trailer to haul it in for repairs.
my heaviest tractor is around 11,000 pounds, I didn’t want to be wishing I had a bigger winch.
I also have forklifts at my company that I can now haul with this trailer as well.

#35 ·
My tilting H&H has no mechanical lock either, they only put them on the gravity tilt ones I was told when I questioned it.

#36 ·

Something you may want to consider is what I did with my dump trailer.

The bottom hole for the hitch adjustment, considering yours is set and will stay there, is place another Grade 8 bolt through the lower hole but put a 3" steel ring on the bolt, between the sides of the hitch. Tighten up the nut and now you have a place to hang your safety chains when not in use.

Bonus points for putting both chains close enough to padlock them together. Prevents thieves from hooking up chains ay dragging trailer away. Granted they can still cut the lock but it's a deterrent.

I can get a pic when I get home in the next couple of days.

#37 ·
View attachment 894980
Something you may want to consider is what I did with my dump trailer.

The bottom hole for the hitch adjustment, considering yours is set and will stay there, is place another Grade 8 bolt through the lower hole but put a 3" steel ring on the bolt, between the sides of the hitch. Tighten up the nut and now you have a place to hang your safety chains when not in use.

Bonus points for putting both chains close enough to padlock them together. Prevents thieves from hooking up chains ay dragging trailer away. Granted they can still cut the lock but it's a deterrent.

I can get a pic when I get home in the next couple of days.
Good idea for sure.

All my PJs have chain storage hooks welded on under the frame.
Look right below and in-between the J and the T in big PJ trailers logo on the side of the frame.
Wheel Automotive tire Tire Tread Motor vehicle

You may have noticed in some of the first few pics of this trailer, that I did have a chain dragging.

There is very small retainer clip that holds that chain pin in place. It apparently fell out on the way home from picking up the trailer. Which in turn destroyed that gold coating that was on it. My dealer had like chains in stock in more common silver color, so they swapped out both chains for me under warranty.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Sky Motor vehicle

#39 ·
Had them on my past and current dump trailers, not had a dead run-down batter since adding them.
Been pretty happy with them.
Sort of a good option to have especially since all my trailers have power monster jacks.

#40 ·
Used the new Tilt trailer again this week.
Again, was able to hitch onto to pull it up to the barn and load the tractor without exiting the cab.
That is just so cool. LOL

Tire Wheel Sky Vehicle Plant

Wheel Tire Sky Vehicle Plant

Sky Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Vehicle Tractor Automotive tire

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.