Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after several years of contemplating a whole house generator , I pulled the trigger today . I didn't lose power during Harvey , but I would rather be proactive than reactive . Also considering that I am not getting any younger , I think I will have a warm and fuzzy knowing that if power goes off , the genset will come on automatically . My home is currently all electric , so I will have to procure a propane tank and service . I plan to install myself and have it blessed by a coworker (master electrician) and the authorities having jurisdiction . Now I need to get going with all the logistics of the install . Should be fun !!! :usa

·
Administrator
20,664 Posts
Can't wait to see the install pics and overall progress. Then there's the review!

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
We have propane for our gas logs,,
consider adding the gas logs, my wife REALLY loves them.
Trouble free, concentrated heat,, no complaints of a cold room EVER!!
The cost to run the gas logs is insignificant compared to the comfort.

Even if it is only for a few days a year,, the smiles are worth the effort,
Especially when you are older,,, :flag_of_truce:

·
Administrator
17,943 Posts
I have NEVER regretted installing our 15kw Generac, it has over 400 hours on it and it's about 9 years old. It ran almost nonstop for 6 days once after an ice storm, we where very comfortable!

·
Registered
164 Posts
I put in my own and it was pretty easy. Make sure you put in a big enough gas line. The generator won't run right if you don't. My generator had a 1/2" inlet so I put in a 1/2" gas main from the regulator to the unit. Didn't run right. Changed to a 3/4" and all was well. I would say other than that setting the load and frequency took the most care. Ours is a Generac also; 8K model.
Ron

·
Registered
108 Posts
I have installed a few of these. What brand did you buy? I really like installing the kohler brand. I have installed the general brand also, they to me are more of a diy unit where as the kohler is more of a professional unit. Helps we have great factory support on the kohler units.
You will enjoy the peace of mind your gen set will give you.

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
We just got natural gas in our area. So this will be on my list to do. I have a portable that runs most of the house but am looking forward to not having to hook it up, filling with gas and if we’re not home it automatically comes on. :thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
In ~1995 (I think that is the year) we had a major snow storm.
The snow knocked out electricity,,
Those with natural gas thought,, "No problem, we can stay warm"

Well, it turns out the natural gas was pumped by,,,,, ELECTRICITY!!

The natural gas stopped,,
LOTS of people bought wood, and pellet stoves the next year!! :dunno:

·
Registered
913 Posts
I'm still waiting on the Generac 22KW natural gas I ordered over 2 months ago. The story is that new production was diverted to Houston, then to Florida, and now to Puerto Rico. Obviously, folks in those places need it more than I do, so I'm OK with waiting.

I do wonder about the availability of natural gas to end users in PR, but maybe the components were used to make a unit running on another fuel.

·
Registered
591 Posts
I've also had a 15kw generac for many years. I did have a few problems with it. The rocker arm came loose on one side and broke the valve cover. After reading up on it, they do recommend adjusting them every so often, which I didn't do. The only other issue I had was losing 1 phase of my underground feed from the utility, which shorted out near the pole. This caused a lot of problems because the generator couldn't decide whether power was out or not. The solenoid for the transfer switch ended up overheating and burning up. I got it fixed, but also had to re-adjust the frequency.

Anyway, it's been 15-16 years since I bought it and used it often.

My suggestion to you is do a lot of thinking about location. My panel is on the front of the house and the generator came pre-wired with 50' of wire. I knew I didn't want the unit on the front lawn, and also wanted to consider noise when it was running, so I stripped the wire out of it, placed the generator behind the garage and the propane tank on the side of the garage and ran conduits for controls and feed to the house. It was more money, but much better installation. Be mindful of the exhaust too.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
In ~1995 (I think that is the year) we had a major snow storm.
The snow knocked out electricity,,
Those with natural gas thought,, "No problem, we can stay warm"

Well, it turns out the natural gas was pumped by,,,,, ELECTRICITY!!

The natural gas stopped,,
LOTS of people bought wood, and pellet stoves the next year!! :dunno:
There are some NG systems out there powered by the NG the system pumps. As long as there is supply of gas then the pumps will run. You have to contact the engineering dept of your Gas Utility and see if you can get them to tell you. Some are hesitant due to terrorism concerns, but you may find out.

Parts of my system are NG powered and parts are electric, the engineer I know at the utility thru work tells me that gas will flow for an "extended period" even if the whole grid is down around me.

·
Registered
5 Posts
We had a Generac 16kw standby generator installed early this summer. The following 3 fridays, for some unknown reason, the power went out for 5-6 hours each time. The generator worked flawlessly. I know of 4 other families that have a Generac & they all have had good luck with theirs. Generacs are switchable between natural gas & propane. The newer ones are supposed to work with lower natural gas pressure.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Regarding the propane tank, buying rather than using a gas company tank keeps your options open for whose gas you buy. Prices for delivered gas can vary quite a bit - one supplier here was quoting $1.79 with another at $1.69 while the supplier for our daughter's place (60 miles away) was telling her $2.75 was a "good price" (all price quotes were done the same week).

We owned our own tank (500 gallons) when we installed the 22kw whole house last year & I just ordered a second 500 gallon tank via Southern States (coop farm supply). The new tank is $1590 w/$300 for delivery, install & plumbing (includes all parts) to parallel the original tank.

I opted for a second tank after considering probable run time if the single tank was approaching the 1/2 full point (where we usually are before we call for a refill). We are down about 150 gallons at the 1/2 full mark (since they only fill to the 80% mark).

With a 500 gallon tank only filled to 400 gallons & knowing vaporization rates fall as you draw down past the 100 gallon point, I figure on about 300 gallons available on a full tank. The second tank adds to the total quantity & also doubles the surface area for vaporization which could permit a deeper draw if needed.

If doing it from scratch, a 1000 gallon tank would be worth considering.

Nick

·
Administrator
17,943 Posts

Nick
I couldn't agree more Nick,
We bought our 1000g tank when we built our house, and now I shop around for the best price when I need it and can have it filled in the off peak times. For the last few years Thrify Propane has been the cheapest by far (they cover many states not just MD). We have our oven/stove, water heater, dryer, and backup the to the main heat pump system all connected to it in addition to the 15kw Generac unit.

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
I was going to buy a tank and hadn’t yet, now we have natural gas. Didn’t think I would ever see natural gas up our road but it’s here due to some other work that is being done in our area. Good idea to buy and shop around like mentioned. My buddy has a 1000 gallon and saves a lot every year shopping for best price. I had bigger line and meter run so I ready for a generator.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Regarding the propane tank, buying rather than using a gas company tank keeps your options open for whose gas you buy. Prices for delivered gas can vary quite a bit - one supplier here was quoting $1.79 with another at $1.69 while the supplier for our daughter's place (60 miles away) was telling her $2.75 was a "good price" (all price quotes were done the same week).

We owned our own tank (500 gallons) when we installed the 22kw whole house last year & I just ordered a second 500 gallon tank via Southern States (coop farm supply). The new tank is $1590 w/$300 for delivery, install & plumbing (includes all parts) to parallel the original tank.

I opted for a second tank after considering probable run time if the single tank was approaching the 1/2 full point (where we usually are before we call for a refill). We are down about 150 gallons at the 1/2 full mark (since they only fill to the 80% mark).

With a 500 gallon tank only filled to 400 gallons & knowing vaporization rates fall as you draw down past the 100 gallon point, I figure on about 300 gallons available on a full tank. The second tank adds to the total quantity & also doubles the surface area for vaporization which could permit a deeper draw if needed.

Nick
So if you are running a 22K genset, how many hours can you run with your current 500 gallon setup or rather 300 gallon. I also have an in-ground 500 gallon PP tank. Considering a whole house Genset. I am currently using an small genset to run essentials when out of power. I have considered another tank. But wonder how long a 22K Genset would run at say 1/2 load or so. Crap 22K would be more than I actually need. When I did the math on one before it was somewhere around 10K or so. my whole house is PP except drier.

·
Premium Member
839 Posts
Any of you guys have concerns about the weather conditions outside affecting these units? I've kicked around the idea of a large portable vs a whole house. A portable unit I could always move if water started to settle and began rising if the rain didn't let up. A whole house unit is stuck on the cement pad and could come immersed.

Have any of you done anything to remove that concern?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Any of you guys have concerns about the weather conditions outside affecting these units? I've kicked around the idea of a large portable vs a whole house. A portable unit I could always move if water started to settle and began rising if the rain didn't let up. A whole house unit is stuck on the cement pad and could come immersed.

All the members here that know me know that my property floods so I will be building a table to get it up off the ground and out of harms way . My ac unit has been 3' high for 10 yrs and so far no issues with flood water intrusion . :hi:
My genset is supposed to be delivered tomorrow between 2 and 7 pm . Been doing the research and this install will take some time . I'm probably working 6 days a week for the foreseeable future , so time to work on it will be limited . But I will take pics as I progress . :usa

·
Administrator
17,943 Posts

Thats not an issue at my house.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I'm still waiting on the Generac 22KW natural gas I ordered over 2 months ago. The story is that new production was diverted to Houston, then to Florida, and now to Puerto Rico. Obviously, folks in those places need it more than I do, so I'm OK with waiting.

I do wonder about the availability of natural gas to end users in PR, but maybe the components were used to make a unit running on another fuel.
That is a great unit. I also ordered a 22kW for a 911 tower that I am working on along with a 12x16 telecom shelter. It may be a while before we see our generator also. It should have been here last week. While we kinda think we are important too I completely understand the delay. Besides, I am about two months from really needing it. I am also waiting on utility pole hardware that as you might guess is suddenly much more valuable to the folks in the south than to us. I will gladly wait for 'sidewalk' guy hardware to avoid a hurricane.

I have been in the Generac business officially for a few years but have been installing them and servicing them since maybe '04. Maybe longer. Can't remember. Everything from configured diesel units to off the shelve air cooled residential units. They make a pretty good product with little problems. Just follow the maintenance schedule as listed in the manual including the dreaded valve adjustments mainly just because my knees do not like bending or kneeling anymore. I have a friend who installed his behind an utility shed and built a deck to mount it on so it is off the ground by 12 inches or so. I really liked servicing that one. :bigthumb:

isaac

1 - 20 of 75 Posts