Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, after MANY years of wanting a property where I could have a tractor (yes, this was a life goal :) ) we're finally building a house on a 5 acre field and I have a "need" for one. There are going to be a lot of jobs on the property, including seeding a lawn, dealing with fallen trees, moving top soil and crushed rock, maintaining a 400ft gravel driveway, planting a garden (well tilling for one anyway), moving smoker and fire wood, landscaping (putting in stone, gardens, other things I'd like to do myself), removing snow from aforementioned driveway, etc. Basically anything that needs to be moved, placed, maintained. It's a long lot, over 1000ft deep, so I won't be moving things around easily with just a wheelbarrow and a shovel.

I am not buying it to mow however. A mower deck costs the same as a 3 series zero turn, and a zero turn will apparently do a much better job, much faster, and will be easier to deal with. Just doesn't make sense for me.

I also don't feel I need a backhoe. Let me rephrase, I don't feel I need a backhoe for $9000 CDN. That is likely a lot of mini excavator rentals (which is apparently better anyway), and everything I need trenched is already trenched. I may be building a shed with a power run, or a water line out to a garden, but I can do that with a rental. And 1/3 of that $9000 will buy me a nice trailer. The dealer actually told me not to get it because it's too expensive. I was surprised by that, but he's not wrong.

I decided to go with a 2025R for several reasons: Weight, ground clearance, tire size, price, and driving position. Comparing with the 1025R I am just happier with it. The controls sit higher up in the 2025R which to me gives it a more engaging feel. The tire size is much larger which will no doubt make for better traction, and add weight when filled. Not a huge difference in ground clearance but not insignificant either. Finally, the price difference between the two is a few grand. For me, this makes it a no brainer.

I considered a 2032R but the price difference is huge. It also may be a lot more than I need. The added loader capacity might be nice but at what cost. I am still considering it though.

When building the tractor, I found all of the possible options on the tractor a bit confusing on the web site, and I didn't know what some were. I felt like I could be missing things. For example, I selected wheel weights but didn't add the mounting hardware because, in my mind, why would you not include the hardware you need to mount the weights when you sell the weights?? But this is the high level sheet I put together for what I mostly know from my enormous number of searches on this forum.

TractorCommentsOption Code
2025R This part is important
iMatch Quick Hitch Cat 1Adjustable top hook (because adjustable seems like a good idea)LVB25976
Factory Installed Loader with Bucket120R w/MSL
1701​
Tires FilledFill rear tires w/liquid?
Rear Wheel Weight, 60 lb (27.2 kg)Weight!BM17965
Attaching Hardware for Rear Wheel Weight, 60 lbObviouslyBM17987
Ballast BoxFilled with concreteBW15073
3rd SCV or MidBig question here, do I need more hydro??
Premium LED Work Light KitI could see this being useful and I like lightBLV10673
Engine Coolant Heater KitBecause CanadaBLV10640
Engine Block Heater AdapterBecause CanadaAM134805
Auto-Throttle KitDo I want this?BLV10784
3-Point Hitch Tractor Receiver HitchLikely useful for a trailer…LP25001
Attachments
Loader ForksAP10F vs 11F? 42" seems like a good idea
TillerFor tilling. This one has gears, 6 tines, etc. Can't buy King Kutter in Canada, going with Frontier I guessRT3049
SnowblowerNot plowing, I live in the snow beltSB1154
SpreaderSS20B iMatch w/agitator. This is an option... but I feel it will be very useful. Unless there's another, cheaper option for spreading seed, fertilizer, and other things across 2 acres of grass?SS2067B
Box BladeWill be very handy for the driveway, land, garden?BB5060

I am trying to roll as much into the 0% finance as possible so I am adding whatever I can now that's reasonable. I am not looking to light money on fire, but if it makes sense I'd do it.

I have sent this to the dealer to get a quote, and to review, but I have some questions:

1) Is there anything I am missing or given my use case I might want? There's so many little options on the web site I feel I might miss something.

2) I considered the 2032R... as I am not mowing, it's an option. But my god is it expensive! And might be more than I really need. Any thoughts on this? Is this a "no you dont need anything like that for 5 acres" or "yeah considering what you're planning to do and without mowing, if you can swing it, do it".

3) Do I need more hydraulics? The 3rd SCV option is there but it's almost $1000. What do people use it for? If I got a grapple, depending on price, honestly I'd probably just get an electric one. How hard are they to install on your own afterwards?

4) What is the consensus on the auto throttle kit? Any downsides?

Anyway, I am really excited to get this tractor, expected delivery is allegedly around July but who knows. We take possession of the house July 20th and I won't realistically need this until Sept. which is when I want to seed some of the lawn. If I get it early I will probably use it to drive around my driveway, just because :) I'll probably have to clean up builder mess as well.

-J

·
Registered
461 Posts
If you are getting it for snow removal then the MORE lights you have the better. Cause it is always dark when you need to remove snow. I have the Premium Light kit on my 2038R and it works great, I will be adding a another rear light cause I want all 4 of the lights pointed forward which leave only the small hitch light for the rear and is not really enough.

I would get filled tires, you did not mention the type of tire but dont get R4. I have the R3+ (radial) on my 2038R and they did great snow blowing up some pretty steep hills. They also work well in the woods and shed the mud pretty quickly.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
With the uses that you have listed I don't see why the 2025r wouldn't fit your needs just fine. I would go with the ap10f forks if you go the 2025r route, they are lighter and less expensive.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I was just about to say, with the tasks you have listed you will want FORKS

·
Registered
461 Posts
Not sure if rear hydraulics are an option on the 2025R but if you are doing box blade work having a Top and Tilt hydraulics makes it so much easier. And getting the rear SCV from the factory is a good bit easier than doing it after the fact.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you are getting it for snow removal then the MORE lights you have the better. Cause it is always dark when you need to remove snow. I have the Premium Light kit on my 2038R and it works great, I will be adding a another rear light cause I want all 4 of the lights pointed forward which leave only the small hitch light for the rear and is not really enough.

I would get filled tires, you did not mention the type of tire but dont get R4. I have the R3+ (radial) on my 2038R and they did great snow blowing up some pretty steep hills. They also work well in the woods and shed the mud pretty quickly.
Yep, my thoughts exactly! Where we will be living is quite dark (no light pollution at all) so I may not NEED a ton of light but I've always thought more is better just in case you need it.

I forgot to mention, I am 100% getting Versaturfs for tires. Apparently they are great for snow, turf, dirt, everything.

With the uses that you have listed I don't see why the 2025r wouldn't fit your needs just fine. I would go with the ap10f forks if you go the 2025r route, they are lighter and less expensive.
Sounds good but does lighter mean more fragile?

Not sure if rear hydraulics are an option on the 2025R but if you are doing box blade work having a Top and Tilt hydraulics makes it so much easier. And getting the rear SCV from the factory is a good bit easier than doing it after the fact.
Rear hydro is apparently a selectable option provided you don't have Power Beyond, which from what I can tell is more useful for a backhoe.

That's a good point... I wouldn't mind top and tilt if I can do it. I'll look more into it, thanks!

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
The ap10s are stout, I seriously doubt that you'll be able to damage them with the 120r loader.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Power beyond is used for backhoe and a log splitter or similar implement. Note any log splitter used on a 2025r will be painfully slow just not enough flow. You could also use the PB with an addon rear hydraulic like what Tractor Time with Tim has been showing off lately, so might want to review that.

My first use of the Light package on my tractor was an early morning emergency tree clearing exercise. Wife goes into to work at 5am and one morning an overnight storm knocked down 4 trees blocking the driveway. Having the tractor with all its lights on the work surface while I cut it up was awesome and that alone sold me on the lights even before I used them for snow removal.

·
Super Moderator
6,274 Posts
It seems like you have this pretty well thought out. The only thing I see that I'd question is why you think you need filled tires + wheel weights + ballast box. Deere usually suggests filled tires + ballast box OR Wheel weights + ballast box. IMO, all 3 is overkill.

As a general rule I'd suggest getting any/all hydraulic ports you can get. You never know what you'll need them for. But as others have said, if you aren't getting a backhoe, skip the Power Beyond.

And as far as lights go, yes, they are an absolute must. But I'd never buy them from Deere. Deere will charge you $250 for something you can buy off of Amazon for $30 (or less!). The machines come pre-wired for lights so they are extremely easy to install yourself.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Edit: I meant to post this as a reply to another thread 😖, but I'll leave it here too in case it helps any 😁

The 11s do have a taller backstop, if that's important to you I would go with those. I found that the backstop on the 10s was taller than I thought it would be. Here is a pic of my ap10s for reference.

·
Premium Member
Early 2017 Vintage 1025R TLB (260/H120)
1,887 Posts
Yep, my thoughts exactly! Where we will be living is quite dark (no light pollution at all) so I may not NEED a ton of light but I've always thought more is better just in case you need it.
As mentioned earlier, I'd go a cheaper route than Deere LED's. The cheapies on Amazon can be replaced 10 times over usually before you've paid for the Deere's.
I forgot to mention, I am 100% getting Versaturfs for tires. Apparently they are great for snow, turf, dirt, everything.
(y)
Not with a 120R, you'll exceed the loaders capacity long before you can exceed a "light" set of pallet forks. A positive is the lighter forks, will use less of that limited capacity, leaving more for the materials. (i.e. a loader can lift 1k lbs, including the attachment, so if the attachment is 200lbs, it leaves 800lbs for material, if the attachment is 300lbs, you've now got 700lbs for materials - Note: these are not specific values to the forks or the loader you're looking at, just using them to provide reference.)

Rear hydro is apparently a selectable option provided you don't have Power Beyond, which from what I can tell is more useful for a backhoe.
That's a good point... I wouldn't mind top and tilt if I can do it. I'll look more into it, thanks!
Another option is an electronic rear SCV. Summit Hydraulics has one that works off the PowerBeyond that has been installed on a few 2025's that I'm aware of. I've got a 4 spool version on my 1025R, that runs off the PB. Definitely get one or the other if you intend to do a lot of box blading and don't want to keep getting on/off to adjust the top and side links. This might end up being a cheaper option, but not factory... if that matters. Link
Edit: Added photo of installed summit kit on my 1025R.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Oh also a hdyro top link makes hooking up with a quick hitch even easier, not that it is a requirement for it and not a reason to get it on its own but is a nice added bonus.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
From my experience five acres initially sounds like a lot of land, but once driveways, house, outbuildings, garages, workshops, parking for equipment and such go in, a good chunk of the acres in dirt is gone. I am not saying you don’t need a tractor, but lots of folks live on 5 acres without one.

I live on 5 acres myself. Once the initial preparation and building was done, about 3 acres in dirt was left, and it is now all grass pastures for a couple of horses. My tractor now serves as a diesel powered wheelbarrow for moving manure, and also as my lawn mower and fertilizer spreader. Most of those implements I bought initially - box blade, rotary cutter, landscape rake, and tiller, have been sitting unused for the past 5 years. The zero percent financing really tempts a person to overbuy. Things like auto-throttle, additional hydraulics, and grapple may be overkill for limited acreage. Smaller things like the three point receiver hitch for example, are significantly less expensive to buy elsewhere.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
As mentioned earlier, I'd go a cheaper route than Deere LED's. The cheapies on Amazon can be replaced 10 times over usually before you've paid for the Deere's.
Interesting, I'd be quite okay with that. I'll have a look.

Another option is an electronic rear SCV. Summit Hydraulics has one that works off the PowerBeyond that has been installed on a few 2025's that I'm aware of. I've got a 4 spool version on my 1025R, that runs off the PB. Definitely get one or the other if you intend to do a lot of box blading and don't want to keep getting on/off to adjust the top and side links. This might end up being a cheaper option, but not factory... if that matters. Link
So I'd get the power beyond from the factory, and then add this? I don't really care if it's factory or not, as long as it's reliable and installs cleanly (which it appears to).

Oh also a hdyro top link makes hooking up with a quick hitch even easier, not that it is a requirement for it and not a reason to get it on its own but is a nice added bonus.
I didn't see the option on their site for this.. I'll look again. I did want this...

From my experience five acres initially sounds like a lot of land, but once driveways, house, outbuildings, garages, workshops, parking for equipment and such go in, a good chunk of the acres in dirt is gone. I am not saying you don’t need a tractor, but lots of folks live on 5 acres without one.

I live on 5 acres myself. Once the initial preparation and building was done, about 3 acres in dirt was left, and it is now all grass pastures for a couple of horses. My tractor now serves as a diesel powered wheelbarrow for moving manure, and also as my lawn mower and fertilizer spreader. Most of those implements I bought initially - box blade, rotary cutter, landscape rake, and tiller, have been sitting unused for the past 5 years. The zero percent financing really tempts a person to overbuy. Things like auto-throttle, additional hydraulics, and grapple may be overkill for limited acreage. Smaller things like the three point receiver hitch for example, are significantly less expensive to buy elsewhere.
Oh there's no question it's not a MUST, I put "need" in quotes :) It's a want, to some extent, but I know I'll love it and it will make my life that much easier and enjoyable. We have a lot of plans for our lot as well, and I am a big DIYer. We won't have many outbuildings, I already have a detached 24x36 workshop for equipment storage being built, there might be a garden shed but that's it. If my implements sit unused for a few years and I feel they wont be used, I'll evaluate and maybe sell them. I am probably overbuying to some extent but I really thought about each one and do feel I will use it. I may not go through with all of them right away though. I am looking at alternatives, particularly for the spreader.

-J

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
You will love it. For regular maintenance a land plane is awesome on a long gravel drive. I use it for weed control in my larger gravel areas also.

Now that i am out and about with the tractor again mowing and doing landscape projects the single point hydraulics for the loader os awesome.

My forks are used all of the time.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
I have 5 acres and a 2025R. I love it. I have filled tired and most times that is enough. Doing something that maxes it out with the forks or bucket and I’ll throw the box blade on the back. I wish I had gotten all the hydraulics or atleast some hydraulics for an optional grapple or hydraulic top link. Otherwise enjoy. Looks like good list of options to me.

·
Registered
461 Posts
You wont see an option from Deere for a hydro top link, but you need rear SCV (hydraulics) to use an rear hydro top link, you can get the top link from other 3rd party sites.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I took delivery of my 2025r in mid Jan and have already put about 50hrs on it and that's with not being able to use it much until around the end of Feb. My thoughts:
  1. For that length of driveway I would get a land plane. Absolutely love mine and it's so much easier to get a nice finish with compared to my box blade. I use my box blade all the time but the land plane is so nice for a gravel drive.
  2. Get forks...seriously..just get them.
  3. Get the 3rd SCV now. I didn't and wish I would have but my forks help mitigate that poor decision.
  4. You can get the ballast box if you want but if you don't think you'll be in many tight spaces when you need ballast I would just use your box blade as your normal ballast. You can hang weights on it to make it heavier or I just pile on a few bags of tube sand from Menards. They're 70lbs a bag so I normally just throw a couple on there. Have only done that twice though..the box blade alone seems to be all the ballast I need for almost every situation.
  5. Lastly- I think you'll be fine with the 2025r. If you just really want the bigger tractor then I can't blame you but for what you said your uses will be the 2025 will handle all of that with ease. There isn't anything I've thrown at mine yet that it couldn't handle and I've really worked it hard in the 50 hrs that I've put on it. I live on top of a hill and most of the work the tractor does is on inclines and declines and it just hasn't missed a beat and it's felt very stable through all of it. I can't say enough about how much more productive my tractor has made me.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts