Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally have the funds to purchase a set of forks. Had considered getting them form the JD dealer, as the price was much less and no shipping cost, but the versatility of these won me over.

I may next year be getting the grapple attachment for it, but just the forks for now.

Stand by for pictures after I get them in.

Thanks,
Will-

·
GTT Vendor
1,534 Posts
I finally have the funds to purchase a set of forks. Had considered getting them form the JD dealer, as the price was much less and no shipping cost, but the versatility of these won me over.

I may next year be getting the grapple attachment for it, but just the forks for now.

Thanks,
Will-
Hi Will,

Thanks on your difficult decision. If it helps, your investment goes directly into the quality of the materials of the product and very little else. We try to keep as much of your money in America as possible, and I expect every set of forks that leaves our dock to give many years of safe and dependable life. And with regard to the cost of shipping, most orders end up getting reduced from what the website generates, some by a little and some by a lot. Because of our northeast location, we find it best to treat each shipment individually to ensure the lowest shipping cost for all.

Anyway, thanks!

·
Administrator
17,973 Posts

·
Registered
12,298 Posts
Ghostrider304; I believe u find them to ur liking. I too bought jd first, didn't even know about this site(GTT) or even Artillian, I think this summer or early next spring I am going to put my up for sale, and then go for Artillian's set, and then build off of that. good luck and have fun.

·
GTT Vendor
1,534 Posts
Ghostrider304; I believe u find them to ur liking. I too bought jd first, didn't even know about this site(GTT) or even Artillian, I think this summer or early next spring I am going to put my up for sale, and then go for Artillian's set, and then build off of that. good luck and have fun.
Thanks Jim! In the meantime, at least you have a good quality set there that will hold their value.

Here's a link to help :drinks:: For Sale

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
What fork length did you decide to purchase Will? I got 36" and kinda felt I should have gotten the 42's afterward.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think I will go with the 36". Not doing much pallet work, mostly brush and logs.

With a 1 series, can't lift too much weight anyway, so no need to have super long forks that I can't use.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
I have 42's for my 2210 and it works perfect. They are not too heavy for the machine. The extra length comes in handy for EVERYTHING, so I would reconsider. You will find your self doing a lot of pallet work because it makes life easy. Anything that's heavy that ends up in the bed of your truck (assuming you have one) usually results in you wanting to use the forks to unload.

I have had my artillian forks for less than a year and I have used them countless times already. I now try and configure bulky stuff that I need to move around or unload for my forks. It just makes life easier as unloading by hand anymore is a real PITA since my truck bed sits up high off the ground. Anyways good luck with your purchase. :bigbeer:

·
Premium Member
9,132 Posts

Thanks,
Will-
Congratulations. :bigthumb: Mine are on the way as well. :yahoo:

Once the play fund recovers, I will be adding the grapple.

I went with the 42" forks for moving stuff. I'll let the grapple bed do the digging work.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,449 Posts
Same thing happened to me. Could not be happier now.

Good choice Ghostrider304.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I just got the 42" last week. I decided to go with the extra length for the reach into my truck bed. I have a friend who was able to get me 15 plastic pallets so I will be able to use those to palletize stuff to move it. As others have said, a grapple module is next on the list. #I love this 1025r!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

·
GTT Vendor
1,534 Posts
What fork length did you decide to purchase Will? I got 36" and kinda felt I should have gotten the 42's afterward.
Sorry to hear that. Choosing fork length seems to be very difficult for many so we tried to help give some direction by discussing it on the FAQ page Artillian FAQ.

By and large, the 36" are really the best overall fit for the 1000 series tractors. But of course, everyone has their own set of circumstances and their own approach to manipulating tasks with the forks. My own opinion has been that you can fairly easily temporarily lengthen a fork if needed but you can't temporarily shorten it. There's so much that forks can be used for on a tractor besides moving pallets and much of that work involves leverage. Long forks offer little leverage. But this kind of thinking may never apply for some people. It's all personal preference...

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Sorry to hear that. Choosing fork length seems to be very difficult for many so we tried to help give some direction by discussing it on the FAQ page Artillian FAQ.

By and large, the 36" are really the best overall fit for the 1000 series tractors. But of course, everyone has their own set of circumstances and their own approach to manipulating tasks with the forks. My own opinion has been that you can fairly easily temporarily lengthen a fork if needed but you can't temporarily shorten it. There's so much that forks can be used for on a tractor besides moving pallets and much of that work involves leverage. Long forks offer little leverage. But this kind of thinking may never apply for some people. It's all personal preference...
I don't regret the purchase at all. I have mostly used them to place and pick out of my Ford and moving stuff in my outbuilding. When I get them in the bush so to speak I will no doubt encounter the issues you describe. You guys recommended 36 and that is what I got. You have far more experience testing these so I trust you. Besides, what is 6 more inches? Not really that much more reach. I am also in manufacturing, 39 years of it to be exact, and I recognize superior design and construction when I see it. Beautiful product, thank you.

·
Registered
22,708 Posts
You guys recommended 36 and that is what I got. You have far more experience testing these so I trust you. Besides, what is 6 more inches? Not really that much more reach. I am also in manufacturing, 39 years of it to be exact, and I recognize superior design and construction when I see it. Beautiful product, thank you.
I listened (for a change) to Chris also and got the 36". One of his many good points for me was the extra length of the 42" can actually work against you in tight spaces. Also the longer forks will amplify every little move including the wrong ones.

I've been around fork lifts all my working career. Maybe what some folks don't realize is that the forks do not need to be as long as the pallet you are lifting. In warehouse operations the forks go under the pallets only by 75%-80%. To me this actually gives you more control of the pallet.

And our member bluexxxx who works large construction sites for a living said all their fork lifts for unloading trucks all day have 36" forks.

Bigger is not always better........

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
I listened (for a change) to Chris also and got the 36". One of his many good points for me was the extra length of the 42" can actually work against you in tight spaces. Also the longer forks will amplify every little move including the wrong ones.

I've been around fork lifts all my working career. Maybe what some folks don't realize is that the forks do not need to be as long as the pallet you are lifting. In warehouse operations the forks go under the pallets only by 75%-80%. To me this actually gives you more control of the pallet.

And our member bluexxxx who works large construction sites for a living said all their fork lifts for unloading trucks all day have 36" forks.

Bigger is not always better........
I have been using forklifts for almost 40 years as well, however most of the units I ran had 42's and some of the larger ones had 60's.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Darnit, now I need 36" forks.:nunu:

Just kidding..:laugh: Mine are 42". I push them almost all the way in together and pick up my rear blade and rake by inserting through the 3pt. frame and catching the pivote rotation nuckle. Just the right length to pick them up and load them onto my trailer. Aso perfect for scooping up the box blade to load as well. Save alot of time to load the emplements with the forks.
In hind sight, it would probably be easier to just get the artillian fel 3pt. adapter. Oh great, another need from Chris.:banghead::gizmo:

·
Premium Member
9,132 Posts
Darnit, now I need 36" forks.:nunu:

Just kidding..:laugh: Mine are 42". I push them almost all the way in together and pick up my rear blade and rake by inserting through the 3pt. frame and catching the pivote rotation nuckle. Just the right length to pick them up and load them onto my trailer. Aso perfect for scooping up the box blade to load as well. Save alot of time to load the emplements with the forks.
In hind sight, it would probably be easier to just get the artillian fel 3pt. adapter. Oh great, another need from Chris.:banghead::gizmo:
I am just going to set up a direct deposit to him. :lolol:

I got the 42's.

If I find that I need 36's, I know where I can get them.....:lol:

·
GTT Vendor
1,534 Posts
I don't regret the purchase at all. I have mostly used them to place and pick out of my Ford and moving stuff in my outbuilding. When I get them in the bush so to speak I will no doubt encounter the issues you describe. You guys recommended 36 and that is what I got. You have far more experience testing these so I trust you. Besides, what is 6 more inches? Not really that much more reach. I am also in manufacturing, 39 years of it to be exact, and I recognize superior design and construction when I see it. Beautiful product, thank you.
Yeah, the differences are minor for most people and no matter which you pick, you learn to work with it. It's sort of just like having to pick one tractor, there will always be times when it's too small and sometimes too big. But, you try to make the best educated choice and then make due with what you have.

A bit of a side note. Something else to keep in mind, you can always remove the forks completely and chain or strap whatever you are trying to move directly to the face of the fork frame. In doing this, you'll also gain 100-200 lbs off extra lift capacity without having to lift the weight of the tines.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts