·
Registered
2,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
That is neat, thank you for sharing.

After WWII may dad worked the summer on gas pipelines in the mountains of PA. First as he was going to school on the GI bill and then when he taught High School math. He said all they had were cable driven excavators and that hydraulics were considered too slow at the time.

He will be 93 tomorrow. Swears by 2 beers and a couple of cigarettes a day. :bigbeer:

·
Registered
181 Posts
The thing I found surprising is how recent a development the backhoe is! I figured it must have been around much longer, though some quick searching says that tractor hydraulics didn't really happen until the 40s. Interesting.

·
Super Moderator
8,191 Posts
Interesting rundown of the evolution of the tractor attached backhoe. Saw the link on one of my trade blogs.

History and origin of the first hyadraulic Backhoe 1948, and the first Tractor Loader Backhoe 1951
The first BH I ever operated was an old Ford tractor with a Wain-Roy backhoe. My father's next door neighbor owned a small construction company. They also had a Hough "Payloader." Was running that equipment before I was driving a car. Lot's of Wain-Roy equipment around here as it was manufactured and introduced locally.

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I thought the link was interesting to me and liked that patents were cited, but I wish design details were illustrated. I thought of you guys the minute I saw it. I figured it appeared such a surprisingly new development that some of you old barts had run them! :hide:

·
Old Pa-pa
11,932 Posts
"In April of 1948 Wain-Roy Corporation sold the very first all hydraulic backhoes, mounted to a Ford Model 8N tractor, to the Connecticut Light and Power Company for the sum of $705. "
Man oh man, how times have changed. :lol:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts