Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed an Original Tractor Cab on my X739 this afternoon by myself. This is the forth different OTC model I have installed by myself. It was by far the most frustrating.
The directions & images were not as clear as I remember on the other models. Left & right parts were not marked. That was not a big deal on the other models. on this model, some L & R parts had slight differences that made determining the correct side they went on without lots of trial & error. It seemed like a lot more errors than trials.

In the end it worked out.
I believe I will make some mods to the mounting, in the spring when I take the cab off for the summer.

·
Registered
674 Posts
I just got mine for my 318, will start on the install tomorrow. Cold garage also. I will let you know how mine went with the instructions I received.

·
Premium Member
1,659 Posts
I Never take them down as Far after the Initial assembly so I Can get the One On My X748 Pretty quickly Though the set Up is slightly different for the Signature series

I Leave Diagram Number 1 X2 In Place On the Tractor at the front of the fender deck

I leave Diagram Number 2 & 10 together and Diagram Number 5 & 10 together

I Leave Diagram Number 13,15 and 17 together But Loosen the Bolt and Nut that connect all 3 Parts together

I Leave Diagram Number 14, 16 and 17 together But Loosen the Bolt and Nut that connect all 3 Parts together

I Leave Diagram Number 6, 7, and 8 together

Diagram Number's 9 X2 , 4, 5 and 18 Loose

I Just Leave all the Nuts and Bolts In Place Loosely Bolted where the supposed to Go But tight enough I don't Loose them

I Built a Cab storage Box 5ft X 7 ft Out of 2X12's and 1/4inch Plywood should Have Used 1X12 as it is a Heavy Box. For Years I took it down to The way I Listed and Just stored it Doors assemblies and sticking out of the Cardboard Box it Came In Until about 10 years In when Mr Mouse decided to Make a Home In it .

Probably My Only dislike with the Cab is replacing the fender Grab Handles Because the Instructions for the Older Ultimate series Cab 's It say to Take Left rear Tire off and I Just stopped doing That Because I usually already Have My 72Lb wheel weights On already If it wasn't for that I could Probably Have the frame Up In about 1 hour instead it about 1.5 Hrs. (y)

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
I installed an Original Tractor Cab on my X739 this afternoon by myself. This is the forth different OTC model I have installed by myself. It was by far the most frustrating.
The directions & images were not as clear as I remember on the other models. Left & right parts were not marked. That was not a big deal on the other models. on this model, some L & R parts had slight differences that made determining the correct side they went on without lots of trial & error. It seemed like a lot more errors than trials.

In the end it worked out.
I believe I will make some mods to the mounting, in the spring when I take the cab off for the summer.

View attachment 721238 View attachment 721239
I couldn't care less about your cab. I want your woodshop! Thumbs up.gif Sorry, I couldn't help myself. smile.gif

·
Premium Member
1,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I Never take them down as Far after the Initial assembly so I Can get the One On My X748 Pretty quickly Though the set Up is slightly different for the Signature series

I Leave Diagram Number 1 X2 In Place On the Tractor at the front of the fender deck

I leave Diagram Number 2 & 10 together and Diagram Number 5 & 10 together

I Leave Diagram Number 13,15 and 17 together But Loosen the Bolt and Nut that connect all 3 Parts together

I Leave Diagram Number 14, 16 and 17 together But Loosen the Bolt and Nut that connect all 3 Parts together

I Leave Diagram Number 6, 7, and 8 together

Diagram Number's 9 X2 , 4, 5 and 18 Loose

I Just Leave all the Nuts and Bolts In Place Loosely Bolted where the supposed to Go But tight enough I don't Loose them

I Built a Cab storage Box 5ft X 7 ft Out of 2X12's and 1/4inch Plywood should Have Used 1X12 as it is a Heavy Box. For Years I took it down to The way I Listed and Just stored it Doors assemblies and sticking out of the Cardboard Box it Came In Until about 10 years In when Mr Mouse decided to Make a Home In it .

Probably My Only dislike with the Cab is replacing the fender Grab Handles Because the Instructions for the Older Ultimate series Cab 's It say to Take Left rear Tire off and I Just stopped doing That Because I usually already Have My 72Lb wheel weights On already If it wasn't for that I could Probably Have the frame Up In about 1 hour instead it about 1.5 Hrs. (y) View attachment 721241
Thank you for the information. I will use it when I remove the cab. I do not like having to remove grab handles. I used the left one to get on & off of the tractor. I need it even more now that the area to get on the tractor is now smaller. In the spring, I am planning to come up with a way to mount the grab handles with parts 13 & 14. Then leave those parts on year round.

I used the tractor this morning to plow snow. I had a issue with the forward hydro pedal not returning to the stop position. I noticed when I put the vinyl on, that it looked like it would interfere with the pedals below the floor board & it does. I will have to change that after the tractor dries off, so I can get it back into the shop.

The only other issue is the amount of air that is pulled through the cab by the radiator fan. I need to figure something out on that. It was 29 degrees this morning & I got very cold in the cab. I will freeze when the temps are lower.

·
Registered
368 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Cab looks good. I never thought about the air pulled thru by the fan. I can see how that would be an issue.
And I’m impressed by the shop too. Very nice. Looks like a production shop.

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
The only other issue is the amount of air that is pulled through the cab by the radiator fan. I need to figure something out on that. It was 29 degrees this morning & I got very cold in the cab. I will freeze when the temps are lower.
Seems like someone recently posted about this issue. Whomever it was posted a link to a manufacturer of panels that help stop this from occurring. Dunno.gif Maybe they will see this and repost the link.

·
Premium Member
1,659 Posts
Thank you for the information. I will use it when I remove the cab. I do not like having to remove grab handles. I used the left one to get on & off of the tractor. I need it even more now that the area to get on the tractor is now smaller. In the spring, I am planning to come up with a way to mount the grab handles with parts 13 & 14. Then leave those parts on year round.

I used the tractor this morning to plow snow. I had a issue with the forward hydro pedal not returning to the stop position. I noticed when I put the vinyl on, that it looked like it would interfere with the pedals below the floor board & it does. I will have to change that after the tractor dries off, so I can get it back into the shop.

The Older OTC Cab the Bracket's that Mounted in place of the Grab handles On the X400 Heavy Duty thru X700 Ultimate use to Be separate Piece and where Not welded to the rear uprights. I saw some One Years ago leave those metal Piece In Place with the fender Handles.I actually wish My set Up was Like that with the Gas Tank Cap inside of the Cab and I wish they Had Gone to Velcro Instead of snaps Years ago to attach the Rear Vinyl panel Good Luck with Your Intended Modifications Next spring (y)

·
Premium Member
1,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The Older OTC Cab the Bracket's that Mounted in place of the Grab handles On the X400 Heavy Duty thru X700 Ultimate use to Be separate Piece and where Not welded to the rear uprights. I saw some One Years ago leave those metal Piece In Place with the fender Handles.I actually wish My set Up was Like that with the Gas Tank Cap inside of the Cab and I wish they Had Gone to Velcro Instead of snaps Years ago to attach the Rear Vinyl panel Good Luck with Your Intended Modifications Next spring (y)
On mine, the parts that mount in place of the grab handles are separate pieces from the rear uprights. The pieces do have a short upright on them, but I do not believe it will be a problem.
I never thought about the gas cap until I was installing the cab. I like the way they did it.
Yes the Velcro is much better than the snaps were.

·
Premium Member
1,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Seems like someone recently posted about this issue. Whomever it was posted a link to a manufacturer of panels that help stop this from occurring. View attachment 721281 Maybe they will see this and repost the link.
I read that post. The link was for 425, 445 & 455 models. They do not have anything for the newer models. It looks like they made the covers out of magnetic sign stock. I did confirm that the screen on mine is steel. I do not believe that the magnetic sign stock will work on mine because the screen in not an even curve like the older models.
I am also concerned about the engine over heating if I block off the screens.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Hey man,

sorry to hear the disappointment! This was my worry too that I wouldn’t be happy with it.

I put a call in today to Tektite if your thinking of ever going that route! They are trying to see if they want to custom build to allow a cab with the ctc loader

·
Registered
258 Posts
On another note, which may make you feel less disappointed the Tektite cab is $7600 Plus Tax! Which brings it to over 8 grand when all is said and done
ie options shipping and set up

·
Registered
8,221 Posts
I read that post. The link was for 425, 445 & 455 models. They do not have anything for the newer models. It looks like they made the covers out of magnetic sign stock. I did confirm that the screen on mine is steel. I do not believe that the magnetic sign stock will work on mine because the screen in not an even curve like the older models.
I am also concerned about the engine over heating if I block off the screens.
You mentioned you have had several other of this brand cabs. I can see on your prior list, a 455 was likely one of the machines you had the cab on. That also draws air through the dash and side panels, although a little differently. Was the cold air a problem in the other cabs as well or just not to the same extent?

·
Premium Member
1,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
You mentioned you have had several other of this brand cabs. I can see on your prior list, a 455 was likely one of the machines you had the cab on. That also draws air through the dash and side panels, although a little differently. Was the cold air a problem in the other cabs as well or just not to the same extent?
I did not have a cab on the 455. The 2210 was the first tractor I had an OTC on. Then the 2320 & 2720. All of those had front radiators.
My son in law has a JD X729 that he uses in his lawn care/ snow removal business. He has had a OTC on the X729 the last 3 winters. He said his employees have always complained about how cold the cab was. I recently questioned him about the air for the radiator being pulled through the cab. He said he had never thought of that being the problem.

·
Premium Member
14,150 Posts
I did not have a cab on the 455. The 2210 was the first tractor I had an OTC on. Then the 2320 & 2720. All of those had front radiators.
My son in law has a JD X729 that he uses in his lawn care/ snow removal business. He has had a OTC on the X729 the last 3 winters. He said his employees have always complained about how cold the cab was. I recently questioned him about the air for the radiator being pulled through the cab. He said he had never thought of that being the problem.

I had a 425 yrs ago, SIL father has a 455 both had cabs on them and you freeze in the winter time with the air being drawn in from dash to the engine.
This has been discussed on here before ,, the only solution that I can remember would be to turn the fan around.

Oh and a nice looking shop (y)

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
I don't have a horse in this race, but just doing some brainstorming. Since this is a winter (cold weather issue), why couldn't you just block of the dashboard grills, forcing the air to be drawn from somewhere else?
Dunno.gif
It wouldn't take a lot to keep the temperature controlled during cold weather, would it?
Confused 3.gif

·
Premium Member
1,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I don't have a horse in this race, but just doing some brainstorming. Since this is a winter (cold weather issue), why couldn't you just block of the dashboard grills, forcing the air to be drawn from somewhere else? View attachment 721523 It wouldn't take a lot to keep the temperature controlled during cold weather, would it? View attachment 721524
I had a 425 yrs ago, SIL father has a 455 both had cabs on them and you freeze in the winter time with the air being drawn in from dash to the engine.
This has been discussed on here before ,, the only solution that I can remember would be to turn the fan around.

Oh and a nice looking shop (y)
I have read about reversing the fan. The problem I see with doing that is that engine fumes would be blown into the cab. I hope to get work in the shop caught up tomorrow. Then bring the X739 back into the shop to work on some ideas I have on the air flow issue in the cab.

·
Premium Member
1,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I got the air blocked off. I tapped off the screens. I could not come up with anything else that I thought would work as well at sealing off the air. On the side of the hood, the screens extended out beyond the cab vinyl. I left that area open. I removed the plastic frames that are on the inside of the hood side screens. This will allow air for the radiator to be pulled in from the engine compartment. The cab will now be a lot warmer. Hopefully the radiator will get enough air to keep the engine for over heating.

I was also able to get the left side grab handle mounted with the cab mounting bracket. I did have to slightly reshape the bottom of the handle.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Looking into one of these myself because both Textite and Deere won’t make a cab to fit around my CTC loader mounts.

can I just ask, what is the visibility like in blowing snow?
Any idea how long a removal will take and a reinstall?
What is storage like?

Thanks

1 - 20 of 29 Posts