Green Tractor Talk banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Looking into one of these myself because both Textite and Deere won’t make a cab to fit around my CTC loader mounts.

can I just ask, what is the visibility like in blowing snow?
Any idea how long a removal will take and a reinstall?
What is storage like?

Thanks
I have not had a chance to use this cab in blowing snow yet. We have only had 1 small snow event this winter. On the other OTCs I have owned, I never had any problem with visibility.

My son in law has this same cab on a JD X729. He says it takes 2 people about 15 minutes to remove the cab. They take it off in one piece. They turn the cab upside down & set it on a pallet.

Myself, for the other OTCs I have owned, I removed the roof, windshield & vinyl. Then I broke the frame down in sections. I folded up the vinyl, then put the vinyl & windshield in the boxes. The frame & top I stored in the barn rafters. It took me about 35 minutes to remove or reinstall the cab.

I am not sure how I will remove this cab when it comes that time.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Yeh I’m like yourself in that I need the storage space so would have to break it down
I don’t know what the heat/warmth factor will be or if you plan on putting in a heater with quick connects to get some heat off the coolant system?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yeh I’m like yourself in that I need the storage space so would have to break it down
I don’t know what the heat/warmth factor will be or if you plan on putting in a heater with quick connects to get some heat off the coolant system?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have been following this post and others similar. I bought a used X728 with installed OTC cab. Our winters are hard with significant snowfall here in Montana. Tractor only used for plowing so no need for removal of cab. I; over course of two years made several modifications to provide better protection and comfort. The vinyl windshield replaced with glass along with electric wiper. Rear view mirrors installed using OTC kit but using larger mirrors obtained from Amazon. Addressed soft shell air leakage with auto peel & stick weatherstripping and rubberized duct tape.
Added bracket to frame strut at top of windshield to accommodate install of golf cart heater with safe, sturdy holder. Bypassed heater tip over switch with electrical splice connector. Lined plastic cab roof with aluminized bubble wrap insulation attached with Velcro to direct heat downward. Bought Li-ion 4 speed fan clamp-on fan (Amazon) necessary to prevent heater temperature so close to cab headliner from getting cab plastic roof too hot. Constant air flow a must with this heater. Blocked fan air blowing into cab using magnetic sign material wrap over metal screens of housing and cut to fit using templates.
Set up now much more pleasant to blow snow, often @ sub zero temps. At 15 degrees have not observed engine temperature to climb more than halfway on dial.
Attached are a plethora of pictures. Thought the effort worth sharing. All components available at local hardware store or Amazon.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have been following this post and others similar. I bought a used X728 with installed OTC cab. Our winters are hard with significant snowfall here in Montana. Tractor only used for plowing so no need for removal of cab. I; over course of two years made several modifications to provide better protection and comfort. The vinyl windshield replaced with glass along with electric wiper. Rear view mirrors installed using OTC kit but using larger mirrors obtained from Amazon. Addressed soft shell air leakage with auto peel & stick weatherstripping and rubberized duct tape.
Added bracket to frame strut at top of windshield to accommodate install of golf cart heater with safe, sturdy holder. Bypassed heater tip over switch with electrical splice connector. Lined plastic cab roof with aluminized bubble wrap insulation attached with Velcro to direct heat downward. Bought Li-ion 4 speed fan clamp-on fan (Amazon) necessary to prevent heater temperature so close to cab headliner from getting cab plastic roof too hot. Constant air flow a must with this heater. Blocked fan air blowing into cab using magnetic sign material wrap over metal screens of housing and cut to fit using templates.
Set up now much more pleasant to blow snow, often @ sub zero temps. At 15 degrees have not observed engine temperature to climb more than halfway on dial.
Attached are a plethora of pictures. Thought the effort worth sharing. All components available at local hardware store or Amazon.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts