Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 60D auto-connect MMM has always been a bear to connect, but this time I've spent almost two days working on it without success. I started with the above sticky on the mower setup. I did everything posted there, made all the recommended adjustments, put the left rear wheel back on, and still no-go.

I drive over the mower on a flat concrete surface with rubber horse mats, and when I reach a certain point the mower slides with the tractor. I've tried blocking the mower on the barn fence. The following two pictures are what happens every time.

This picture shows how close it comes to the locking point.
01.JPG

And this picture shows the mower gearbox shaft and the 1025R mid-PTO connection. It looks like the connector won't move any further forward, and then just keeps pushing the mower away.
011.JPG

Reactions: Robnik

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
I had that problem and discovered that there are two set screws on the male coupler on the gear box on the mowing deck. The set screws had loosened and backed out preventing full coupler engagement. I replaced them and added a drop of low strength Loctite. Also if the front draft arms are too tight it can be a bear to click in.

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
Put a 2x4 under the front of the deck elevating the front. My draft arms pulled it forward.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
424 Posts
check the front draft arms, and also make sure there's nothing stuck inside the quick connect on the tractor, too. another thing I had to do was tear down the latch mechanism on the mower deck last season, and grease everything liberally.. my deck would go on, but not latch easily, and unlatching it was hard as hell, so that helped in my situation

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How does the draft arm look in the forward mount? Just looking at the two pics you posted makes me think of things that would hold the deck 1/2" forward.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I even tried taking off the draft arms to see if they were interfering. Still had the same problem. Something started to push the mower deck forward with the tractor at the same point shown in my pictures.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had that problem and discovered that there are two set screws on the male coupler on the gear box on the mowing deck. The set screws had loosened and backed out preventing full coupler engagement. I replaced them and added a drop of low strength Loctite. Also if the front draft arms are too tight it can be a bear to click in.
I'm heading up to the barn to check that out right now. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Then I would have a look at the set screws I mentioned.

·
Registered
837 Posts
I had the exact same problem yesterday. I had to get on my hands and knees and pull the deck back on both sides until it locked in. It worked fine for mowing and it came back off with no problems but I still haven't figured out what the problem was. Let me know if you find a screw loose!

Reactions: RetiredDoc

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just checked for the set screws. One had backed out! It was hidden from view on the underside of the shaft, and I had failed to feel it. Probably because I had just added a bunch of grease and was wearing gloves. The screw was in such a position that it would block the coupler mating at the point I showed in the picture.

:bigthumb::bigbeer:

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
I'm glad that helped, I was going to be out of suggestions and looking foolish if that wasn't it!

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What a great site! I worked on the tractor for most of 2 days, then posted my problem, ate dinner, and an hour after my post the problem was solved.:yahoo:

·
Registered
837 Posts
Just checked for the set screws. One had backed out! It was hidden from view on the underside of the shaft, and I had failed to feel it. Probably because I had just added a bunch of grease and was wearing gloves. The screw was in such a position that it would block the coupler mating at the point I showed in the picture.

:bigthumb::bigbeer:
I'm hoping that is my problem also. Easy fix.

·
Premium Member
1,044 Posts
I've also seen this problem when I forget to set the PTO selection lever to "REAR". When the PTO coupler can't turn, it has a hard time mating.

·
Registered
523 Posts
I had my stabilizer links too tight on the 3 point draft arms. Would not allow the 3 point and the pickup frame to drop far enough. Might want to look at those. Just a thought.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I've also seen this problem when I forget to set the PTO selection lever to "REAR". When the PTO coupler can't turn, it has a hard time mating.
I've done that more than once! I ended up laminating the Connect/Disconnect instructions and putting them on the wall next to where I park the tractor and remove the deck! Gives me a nice checklist, especially the first time every spring.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just a follow-up. The mower is connecting easily with an audible click every time now. :yahoo:

Thanks for all the suggestions. Thinking back, I don't believe the set screw in the gearbox shaft was ever seated and always protruded just a little. My dealer is pretty pitiful at setting up equipment, so luckily I'm a little mechanically skilled, have this site available, and a Tractor Supply store 5 miles from home.

My mowing height maximum is still 3 1/2 inches. Next project is to try to gain that last inch somehow.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Jeff, you da man! Love this forum:good2:

Reactions: kylew and Robnik

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Jeff, you da man! Love this forum:good2:
I finally got to add my two drops of water to this ocean of information we have on here! So many excellent observations and and words of advice on Green Tractor Talk, it is the finest mechanical and philosophical forum I have found.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Put a 2x4 under the front of the deck elevating the front. My draft arms pulled it forward.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
After I finished mowing and thought I'd give this suggestion a try. Pulled in the barn and laid a 2x4 under the mower skid.

Unfortunately when I disconnected and backed off the 2x4 had raised the mower front so high that the draft arm caught under the loader stand. My draft arm is bent, the weld is broken, and the front crosspiece is curved rather than straight. Hopefully tomorrow I can straighten things enough to use again, and re-weld the piece that holds the spring and adjustment bolt.:oops:

Reactions: Levi
1 - 20 of 44 Posts