Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been toying with the idea of installing this (or one like this one) hot & cold water spigot near my driveway and gravel parking area. Amazon.com : ARROWHEAD CHAMPION 496-12LF Hot/Cold Hydrant, Pack of 1 : Garden Outdoor

It works like any other frost-free water spigot but you can mix hot and cold water to obtain the water temperature of your choice without worrying about frozen pipes splitting open, etc.... Has anyone else installed one of these? What is your experience with it so far? Recommended or not?

This seems like a no-brainer answer to my adult life-long desire to have hot water available for outdoor washing of man-toys.....lol...

Appreciate any feedback you may have.

Sincerely

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
You could accomplish the same thing with separate outdoor faucets and then a "Y" hose (originally for washing machines), which can be found at most hardware stores. I have a hot and cold hose spigot/valve on my workshop washtub, in addition to a tall kitchen sink spray wand faucet. I also have hot & cold spigots next to the hose reel in the beach house garage. I have a Y hose at each one.

You'll have no issue leaving the Y hose on in the winter, as long as you don't leave a hose connected to it and it can drain. The plus side of the Y hose is it will allow to utilize conventional frost free faucets, which are less money, or you can get them in longer lengths if you penetrating a thick wall, such as concrete block.

·
Registered
127 Posts
We picked up our 8 week old puppy Golden Retriever in Sept. This was in CT. With cold weather coming and a puppy that loved to play in the mud, I thought a hot/cold outdoor faucet would be real handy. I installed the Woodford brand and it was the best upgrade ever! The dog would get in the snow/mud and I had a small coil type hose inside that I would grab and he would get the hose. Man, warm water outside in January was the best ever!

When we moved here to PA, it was near the top of the list things to do and again hosing off the dog in the winter with warm water is great.

My boss added one and when they have small kids over they used the warm water to fill a small pool, so much better than the cold well water!

Kevin

Attachments

·
Administrator
17,263 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
I've got This one, installed 14 years ago, and love it. Used it for everything from the dog to hot pressure washing (we have an on-demand water heater, so I get hot water all day if we don't run out of propane or well water).

We put it in the outside wall by the bathtub, so there are both hot and cold water lines within about 2 feet.

Consider the PEX version of it for ease of repair when you forget to remove the hose in the winter and it freezes. And don't forget the separate shut off valves inside so you can turn it off while you're getting and installing the replacement without leaving all the water in the house off.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Put it up high enough that it is easy to attach the hoses. I have mine about 16 inches off the floor. My daughter's are 4 feet off the floor. Much easier to use.

·
Premium Member
1,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
We picked up our 8 week old puppy Golden Retriever in Sept. This was in CT. With cold weather coming and a puppy that loved to play in the mud, I thought a hot/cold outdoor faucet would be real handy. I installed the Woodford brand and it was the best upgrade ever! The dog would get in the snow/mud and I had a small coil type hose inside that I would grab and he would get the hose. Man, warm water outside in January was the best ever!

When we moved here to PA, it was near the top of the list things to do and again hosing off the dog in the winter with warm water is great.

My boss added one and when they have small kids over they used the warm water to fill a small pool, so much better than the cold well water!

Kevin
IMHO there is no better outdoor faucet, hands down.
All my outdoor cold water spigots at the Homestead are Woodford Brand. Didn't even look to see if they made the hot/cold spigots. I see they make several configurations. Which do you all have/recommend?

Thanks

Sincerely

·
Administrator
17,263 Posts
All my outdoor cold water spigots at the Homestead are Woodford Brand. Didn't even look to see if they made the hot/col spigots. I see they make several configurations. Which do you all have/recommend?

Thanks

Sincerely
I only have the standard frost-free cold ones myself, we have a laundry tub in our heated garage with hot/cold water so I never needed one.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I see they make several configurations. Which do you all have/recommend?
This could depend on your current plumbing. Copper, PEX or ?

My last house was copper so I got the copper sweat connection. This house is PEX type A but because of where it comes though the wall I needed to add a 90 fitting to point the PEX up toward the ceiling so I got the 1/2" NPT end, screwed a NPT 90 on it and than a NPT to PEX adapter.

Kevin

·
Premium Member
1,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I see they make several configurations. Which do you all have/recommend?
This could depend on your current plumbing. Copper, PEX or ?

My last house was copper so I got the copper sweat connection. This house is PEX type A but because of where it comes though the wall I needed to add a 90 fitting to point the PEX up toward the ceiling so I got the 1/2" NPT end, screwed a NPT 90 on it and than a NPT to PEX adapter.

Kevin
What I meant was horizontal vs vertical configuration. I get the rest about the connections, etc....

Thanks again

Sincerely

Attachments

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
What I meant was horizontal vs vertical configuration. I get the rest about the connections, etc....

Thanks again

Sincerely
If there are space or mounting considerations choose the one that best fits the desired location. Otherwise the horizontal version “looks right” to me, the vertical one is just odd.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts