Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I keep my implements outdoors, covered with tarps. The tarps do a good enough job, but they're kind of horrid to look at when I go behind the building and they're a pain to take on and off.

Been playing with the idea of an ATV or lawn mower cover with elastic on the bottom for each individual implement. Would really like something with a draw string but can't find anything yet. Anybody have experience or wisdom to offer me with this endeavor?

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
So I keep my implements outdoors, covered with tarps. The tarps do a good enough job, but they're kind of horrid to look at when I go behind the building and they're a pain to take on and off.

Been playing with the idea of an ATV or lawn mower cover with elastic on the bottom for each individual implement. Would really like something with a draw string but can't find anything yet. Anybody have experience or wisdom to offer me with this endeavor?
the covers need to breath or you will get molds unless you live in a very dry area of country. I had an old Ford i covered that way and learned my lesson.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
:dunno: my tiller, snowblower, and rear blade sit out uncovered without issue.
Loader also sits outside when it is off the tractor, as do the bucket and forks.

Along with the pain of covering/uncovering, finding the cover when it blows away, etc. I'm more concerned with the trapped moisture than sun fading and rain.

Equipment sat out on the farm all the time without ill effect.

·
Registered
643 Posts
I sympathize. I hate leaving my stuff outside as well. I pretty much refuse to buy implements or tractors that show sun fading. One huge downfall to Kubota Tractors, when they are left outside, is they start to turn a MaryKay pink.

OP, are you able to build just a primitive lean-to off the back of your building? A few 2x4's, and a sheet of treated plywood, is all you'd need to make one as simple as possible. attach one 2x4 length wise on building (level), dig two shallow holes for two more 2x4's, attach one last 2x4 across those two, and attach the sheet of plywood to all of them, at a slight angle for water run off. Can even throw a tarp over it or put some shingles on it too.

·
Registered
8,501 Posts
I sympathize. I hate leaving my stuff outside as well. I pretty much refuse to buy implements or tractors that show sun fading. One huge downfall to Kubota Tractors, when they are left outside, is they start to turn a MaryKay pink.

OP, are you able to build just a primitive lean-to off the back of your building? A few 2x4's, and a sheet of treated plywood, is all you'd need to make one as simple as possible. attach one 2x4 length wise on building (level), dig two shallow holes for two more 2x4's, attach one last 2x4 across those two, and attach the sheet of plywood to all of them, at a slight angle for water run off. Can even throw a tarp over it or put some shingles on it too.
I am with SRG with a simple lean to type roof to shield the implements from the elements. You can even build a very simple frame and hang it off the rear of the building as SRG mentioned. I would suggest either steel or fiberglass panels for the roof, instead of shingles, just to keep the weight down on the unit. Depending upon where you are located, the snow load might also be an issue so that needs to be considered.

If you are set on individual covers for the implements, there are people / places that will make the covers to your dimensions with either industrial elastic or a draw string around the bottom. They can even incorporate metal rings for securing the covers to the implement with bungee straps, etc.

Here is a link to a place that will make you a custom cover for anything you need.....

Custom Cover for Square Rectangle Object - Coversandall

Here are some cover clips I use for items which are covered with tarps temporarily and they are very handy. These are adjustable and actually work very well to keep the tarp or cover on. You can put them where they are needed, verses trying to work with the rings in the tarp for tie down points.

https://www.harborfreight.com/multipurpose-tarp-clips-4-pc-63067.html

·
Premium Member
11,420 Posts
IMHO covers do more harm than good. They also provide the perfect breeding ground for gritters and insect nests. Unfortunately we all don't have huge implement buildings and some things must sit outside.

One thing I do to mitigate deterioration on my hydraulic rear blade (used primarily for snow removal) is I pull the pins and store the hydraulic cylinder and hoses inside the garage over the summer.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I would vote for a small lean-to either free standing or attached to your barn or garage. You may be able to reclaim some salvage materials or find some things in the “scratch and dent” pile at the big box home improvement store. It would keep the sun and most of the rain/snow off your implements.

·
Registered
942 Posts
I would vote for a small lean-to either free standing or attached to your barn or garage. You may be able to reclaim some salvage materials or find some things in the “scratch and dent” pile at the big box home improvement store. It would keep the sun and most of the rain/snow off your implements.

100% agree
i keep a eye on craigslist and Fb marketplace ...and every couple of years i do a build from used materials....amazing what you can build at a low cost if you have the skills...(i do live in a no-code area and have a lot of equipment) .....i build on a larger scale but the principles are the same....i am currently finishing a 2000 fter that cost less than 1$ a square foot to build ....i work on it when i can but did a bit of endwall sheeting today and do everything myself so it can be done....(might do a thread on it sometime) ...pic from project during roofing process....point is a bit of time and effort can go a long way..........but you can always buy a cheap carport package...or around here there are builders that make open sided portable sheds for animals on farms....or grab a few 2x4s and staple some plastic on them...lol...this thread went from grill covers to construction projects in a hurry LOL

Attachments

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Currently I am keeping everything on the north side of my shop and that keeps it out of the sun. I also have a clearing in the woods where I can store stuff in the permanent shade. I guess my biggest worry is moisture and rust. I could build a lean to, but not a ton of room to do so.

Maybe uncovered is the way to go and just have to live with the rust.

I live in farm country and like others have mentioned, plenty of farmers keep their stuff outside.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Currently I am keeping everything on the north side of my shop and that keeps it out of the sun. I also have a clearing in the woods where I can store stuff in the permanent shade. I guess my biggest worry is moisture and rust. I could build a lean to, but not a ton of room to do so.

Maybe uncovered is the way to go and just have to live with the rust.

I live in farm country and like others have mentioned, plenty of farmers keep their stuff outside.
i have some implements that i cant put under cover ...on those i dont tarp them but i do block them up off the ground on wood or pallets..

·
Registered
138 Posts
A cheap solution may be a cattle panel arched up between some tee posts and covered with a tarp. Harbor Freight always has coupons for free tarps, a cattle panel is about $20 and tee posts are cheap too. It makes a small hoop house that’s surprisingly sturdy. I use them in the cow pasture for temporary housing. No problems with wind or snow.

·
Registered
942 Posts
A cheap solution may be a cattle panel arched up between some tee posts and covered with a tarp. Harbor Freight always has coupons for free tarps, a cattle panel is about $20 and tee posts are cheap too. It makes a small hoop house that’s surprisingly sturdy. I use them in the cow pasture for temporary housing. No problems with wind or snow.
sounds like a good low cost workaround.....:thumbup1gif:......do you zip tie the tarp to the panel?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Zip ties are quickest and if they’re good quality they last a long time. Sometimes I will use wire or twine. Easy to close off one end too to make a three sided shelter.
I also would agree with using pallets to keep the implements off the ground. And if you have forks that makes it even easier to move the implement in/out of the little hoop house.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
i have some implements that i cant put under cover ...on those i dont tarp them but i do block them up off the ground on wood or pallets..
I have a shed with sorta sides, whats left of them and have implements sitting on the dirt floor. Not good cause in this part of Oregon they really need to be inside an inclosed building. My next projet after fence repair concrete the floor and put real sides on my tractor shed.

Tractor shed IMG_20160617_083930134.jpg

1 - 16 of 16 Posts