Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have jd4320 with back hoe attachment, I use the tractor almost everyday but haven't used the backhoe for a couple of years. I went to put it on today and the outrigger valves will not move, it has been stored inside and everything else works on the backhoe, anyone else run across this.

·
Administrator
22,388 Posts
:wgtt:

Two possible problems:
1-The linkage needs to be lubricated, that's the easy fix...
2-The spool inside the valve is corroded, most likely from moisture in fluid. This can be fixed if your comfortable taking the valve apart.

·
Administrator
22,388 Posts
I guess I should edit my post above:

2-The spool inside the valve is corroded, most likely from moisture in fluid. This can be fixed if your comfortable taking the valve apart or beating on it with a hammer :lol:
Seriously, glad you got it fixed:thumbup1gif:

Reactions: Gizmo2

·
Administrator
22,388 Posts
It always amazes me what a hammer will fix.

Sent from my iPhone
Yeah, and if it doesn't "fix" it-it makes you feel better...for a little while anyway:lol:

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
44,799 Posts
It always amazes me what a hammer will fix.
Yeah, and if it doesn't "fix" it-it makes you feel better...for a little while anyway:lol:
Fixing things like this with a hammer I always say, "what the heck, it's not any good the way it is". The statement also holds true in a lot of repair circumstances.

Reactions: 56FordGuy

·
Premium Member
10,186 Posts
Hammers are a great way to troubleshoot DC motors circuits as well. :lol:

Turn on whatever controls should tell the motor to run. If the motor doesn't run, whack it with a hammer. If it runs, time for a new motor. :)

This applies to vehicle starters as well. It's not a "fix", but sometimes it's enough to get the machine running so you can replace the starter in the shop instead of in the field.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
44,799 Posts
Hammers are a great way to troubleshoot DC motors circuits as well. :lol:

Turn on whatever controls should tell the motor to run. If the motor doesn't run, whack it with a hammer. If it runs, time for a new motor. :)

This applies to vehicle starters as well. It's not a "fix", but sometimes it's enough to get the machine running so you can replace the starter in the shop instead of in the field.
X2:good2:

·
Premium Member
3,966 Posts
Just after graduated high school I drove past a group of guys that were in the class after me. They were all standing I front of a car with the hood up. I stopped and asked what was the issue. The one said it would not start. I asked one of the other guys standing there to go grab a hemmer. While the one guy went to get the hammer the rest of them asked what I was going to do with the hammer. I said just wait you will see. When the guy came back with the hammer I grabbed it from him crawled under the car and gave the starter one heck of a whack. I crawled back out and told one of them to try the key. The car started right up. After the car started one of them said we were going to do that but the starter was labeled, "Don't strike with hammer." I asked, since when do you guys follow directions and told them that they needed a new starter but keep a hammer in the car until they got it.

Sent from my iPhone

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.