Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering renting an over seeder this fall to redo my yard.after years of mowing it too short and hot dry summers. I have never used on or saw one in use. What are you gentlemen's thoughts on it? My yard is 2.4 acres.

·
Registered
237 Posts
i bought the cheapest 3pt hitch PTO spreader for something that I'd use once per year.. it spreads up to 46ft based on settings and speed.. it may be too big for 3 acres of pasture and 3 acres of homestead, but i just wanted to fill it fewer times during use. The only thing I would have considered to pay more would be if it wasn't too costly to buy one that supports iMatch Quick Hitch. -- I also wanted a bigger one that would give me options to seed for other people's pastures.
I'll figure out an adapter for the iMatch before I use it in April.
A pull behind with less coverage may give you better control to keep seed out of flowerbeds and driveway stone.
I don't have to worry much about that, but storing a pull behind may be more ideal. More qualified users will be posting soon, I'm sure.
EDIT: I MISSED THE WORD "RENT" BY THE OP, LOL

·
Premium Member
1,788 Posts
Are you talking about a slice seeder about the size of a push lawnmower? They are a bear to operate, maybe a little less annoying than a power dethatcher. Not a fun job huffing that thing and bags of seed around 2.5 acres. But it will so a much better job than just throwing seed on the lawn. This kind of thing? Classen Overseeder Rental TS-20HD - The Home Depot

It would be good to to aerate first since what you described sounds like it's probably pretty hard and packed. The cores help water, air, and fertilizer get into the soil. Dethatch and blow/rake/sweep the debris off to so there's not a bunch of junk in the way of the seed getting to the soil.

Spread a starter fertilizer with high phosphorus (P) after the seed. A fertilizer with mesotrione will supress weeds without supressing the new grass. Scotts and lesco both have a variety of starter fertilizer with that.

Once you spread everything, if you have access to a lawn roller, that would also be helpful. That will help ensure that all of the seed has good seed to soil contact.

·
Registered
3025E
273 Posts
I rented a landpride 48” overseeder that was pto driven. It worked really well for my lawn. I was in the planted grass 3 years ago and wanted to fill in the thin spots. We did the overseeding last fall, the grass germinated before going dormant, hopefully some fertilizer this spring will help is fill in. I ran my 3025e on the rental unit which was about 170$. I feel like this a better route than just spreading it on with a broad caster.

·
Registered
992 Posts
For 2.5 acres, use a pull-behind fertilizer spreader. You'll want to open the delivery gate more than you would for fertilizer, and it won't throw the grass seed as far as it does pellets. Watch how far it throws on your first pass and adjust your gate and spacing for the amount of coverage you desire. I've also used my three-point hopper spreader for pastures and the largest yards. See the two spreaders I have below

We overseed this way in the landscaping business I work with, and get great results. You definitely want to plug aerate before seeding, along with a root-building fertilizer. I assume you're seeding tall fescue?

Reactions: PJR832

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts