Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
GTT Vendor
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some time ago, Mr. JGayman raised a question somewhere on here about a better way to make the ballast box more mobile. Naturally, I couldn't help myself. Following a little conversation, some contemplation, design and stress analysis, here's the result. This one or the next one will be going to JGayman for his anticipated scrutiny. The design needs to be refined a bit to make them more affordable, but I expect they will be an upcoming product.

:drinks:jgayman:drinks:

They could be available with either 4 casters or 6. 4 of these particular casters will support the weight but 6 just looks cool :good2: and of course will be a little better rolling and longer lasting.

Sorry for yet another "invention" rtgt :laugh:

Attachments

·
Administrator
20,677 Posts
Does this mean I won't scratch the crap out of the garage floor when I drive the tractor out of the garage and forget to lift the 3PH?

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,414 Posts
Does this mean I won't scratch the crap out of the garage floor when I drive the tractor out of the garage and forget to lift the 3PH?
And you call me a dumb-ass!:lol:
No one has ever seen me do that and I certainly am not going to admit doing it.:lol:

·
Administrator
20,677 Posts
And you call me a dumb-ass!:lol:
No one has ever seen me do that and I certainly am not going to admit doing it.:lol:
I never said that. :unknown: And I haven't admitted to actually dragging a fully loaded ballast box across my painted garage floor. Nobody saw me do it.....

.....but the marks are there. :hide:

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
Some time ago, Mr. JGayman raised a question somewhere on here about a better way to make the ballast box more mobile. Naturally, I couldn't help myself. Following a little conversation, some contemplation, design and stress analysis, here's the result. This one or the next one will be going to JGayman for his anticipated scrutiny. The design needs to be refined a bit to make them more affordable, but I expect they will be an upcoming product.

:drinks:jgayman:drinks:

They could be available with either 4 casters or 6. 4 of these particular casters will support the weight but 6 just looks cool :good2: and of course will be a little better rolling and longer lasting.

Sorry for yet another "invention" rtgt :laugh:
Looks great, but I would suggest another 1 inch of clearance between the metal and the floor. When these become available, I might be interested in one. I can see that shipping might be prohibitive.

Dave

·
Premium Member
12,142 Posts
Nice! Is there a bottom or internal frame to the cart such that the ballast box just sits in there? If so, do those bolts on the sides simply keep the cart from sliding off when lifted?

I find that my ballast box detaches from the Quick Hitch the easiest when I have something the thickness of a 2x4 (on its side) under the box. If I simply sit the ballast box on the garage floor I have difficulty getting the Quick Hitch to let go.

Does anyone else experience anything similar?

·
Administrator
17,954 Posts
Nice! Is there a bottom or internal frame to the cart such that the ballast box just sits in there? If so, do those bolts on the sides simply keep the cart from sliding off when lifted?

I find that my ballast box detaches from the Quick Hitch the easiest when I have something the thickness of a 2x4 (on its side) under the box. If I simply sit the ballast box on the garage floor I have difficulty getting the Quick Hitch to let go.

Most likely its the top hook thats binding, try adjusting it in or out 1 or 2 turns.

·
Premium Member
7,680 Posts
4 casters is more than enough; but I always manage to occasionally forget to raise the ballast box and drag it in the dirt, which will booger up the casters in my case. I just keep my ballast box on a furniture dolly.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,414 Posts

What tractor do you have? (signature maybe?) I have the same issue with our 2320.

·
Premium Member
12,142 Posts
Most likely its the top hook thats binding, try adjusting it in or out 1 or 2 turns.
I have a hydraulic top link and usually end up fiddling with it to get released - more so if the box is on the ground.

·
Premium Member
12,142 Posts
4 casters is more than enough; but I always manage to occasionally forget to raise the ballast box and drag it in the dirt, which will booger up the casters in my case. I just keep my ballast box on a furniture dolly.
My vote is for 6 casters. 700lbs needs all the help it can get to roll.

·
Premium Member
12,142 Posts

·
GTT Vendor
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Merry Charles Dickens Day All,

Dropping in to escape the noise for a few minutes.

ddinham
"Looks great, but I would suggest another 1 inch of clearance between the metal and the floor. When these become available, I might be interested in one. I can see that shipping might be prohibitive.
Dave"

-If you want the BB higher, a cheap furniture cart will fill that bill. Just remember to keep your legs out of the way when it goes over.
-Shipping these won't be anything unusual.

jgayman
"Nice! Is there a bottom or internal frame to the cart such that the ballast box just sits in there? If so, do those bolts on the sides simply keep the cart from sliding off when lifted? I find that my ballast box detaches from the Quick Hitch the easiest when I have something the thickness of a 2x4 (on its side) under the box. If I simply sit the ballast box on the garage floor I have difficulty getting the Quick Hitch to let go."

-jgayman, seriously? :slap-yourself-emoti Of course. Actually, no the bolts are imitation. It's all held together by scotch tape, the transparent stuff so you can't see it. :lol:
-With the BB on this cart, it goes on and off the quick hitch like butter.

mjncad
"4 casters is more than enough; but I always manage to occasionally forget to raise the ballast box and drag it in the dirt, which will booger up the casters in my case. I just keep my ballast box on a furniture dolly."

-When you shut down and lower the box to the floor, move the lever back to the raised position so when you turn on the tractor, the BB will come up. Swut I do anyway.

Ok, back to the egg nog and screaming...

·
Registered
990 Posts
I am envious of all of you with a hard floor that casters will roll on to park your tractor. Of course I don't scratch my non existent paint when I forget to pick the BB out of the dirt.:lol:

·
Registered
768 Posts
Looks great, but I would suggest another 1 inch of clearance between the metal and the floor. When these become available, I might be interested in one. I can see that shipping might be prohibitive.

Dave
I agree, the extra 1" of clearance would be great for uneven surfaces. Perhaps a larger set of wheel to get the height would work and only 4 of them are probably necessary?

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
A set of large, outboard casters would allow for easy movement of the BB on the cart as well as be functional on dirt/grass. Then, the cart could double to ensure that the BB doesn't grab when you're trying to keep it down for max ballast when lifting.

·
GTT Vendor
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
A couple of these carts have been made, just waiting on powder coating. One is already taken.

Ballast Box Trolley

Note: This webpage is not linked from the Artillian website since these are not a production item yet.

And just to respond to the suggestions, thanks but there are no plans to make them with big off road wheels. It would be unsafe to roll. If something were to be made that was safe, it would be bulky and very expensive.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,414 Posts
I always meant to tack weld a few of these to the bottom of my ballast box.......never did. I guess the main reason I never did is I use the ballast box as a back blade quite frequently.

1244603923474_hz_myalibaba_web7_1677.jpg

1 - 20 of 30 Posts