Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Awhile back I threw a rod in my 212 and just recently got around to having the motor rebuilt. Never having one of these motors torn down before, I wanted to make sure it was done right the first time so I had someone rebuild it that had a lot of experience with these Kohler motors. I've put about 5 hours on it so far and it runs great but I pulled the dipstick out while it was running because I saw some guy on YouTube say that's how you check for fatal blow-by and there is quite a bit of oil spatter that come out along with a minute amount of white smoke. Is the guy I was watching full of crap or and that normal for these old motors or is this a sign that something wasn't done right?

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I don't know that oil splatter out the dipstick tube (or white smoke/oil mist) is indicative of anything. If you really want to know if something is going on, run a compression test and a cylinder leak-down test. Bottom line, if the thing runs strong, no unusual noises, and doesn't use any oil, I think it's OK.

·
Registered
13,389 Posts
You get some positive crankcase pressure, that’s why there is a breather. It alternates pressure and vacuum every revolution.

Reactions: KennyP

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Also, with only 5 hours run time on engine, rings may not be fully seated. Check oil level before starting and enjoy! Bob

Reactions: KennyP

·
Registered
477 Posts
Don't remember ever pulling the oil dipstick out of a running garden tractor engine without getting splashed with oil! The old K series engines are splash lubricated, meaning no oil pump. everything inside gets a good splash from the rod dipper. Unless, of course, the oil level gets too low.
Don't worry, just check the oil level each time before you use the tractor. You may eventually need to add a little, maybe not. At least you know.

tommyhawk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts