Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a nice 4'X8' 1" thick sheet of aircraft aluminum made into a table. It sets on a nice 4"X4" square tubing frame, it sat at my dads for some time when I had acquired it. It was used as a welding table during it's time. My dad wants half of it I want the other half. I am cutting the table in half with the plasma cutter. So in the next few weeks I will be setting up my welding area with this nice 4'X4'X32"tall table. I want to isolate the welding smoke to just the area I am setting the table up with so it does not get dispersed throughout the garage when the wife is in there, not too mention my own safety of fumes. What are you folks using to exhaust your fumes with? Hoods, Fan's shield. Maybe some pictures? I have plans on isolating the weld area and am still looking into what I need to do there. Looking at ideas and thoughts right now as I venture into this small project.

·
Super Moderator
4,904 Posts
My Brother-in-law scammed his way into a commercial range hood when they replaced the cafeteria kitchen where he works. I've been on the lookout for one for a year or so since then but haven't found one locally. His works beautifully.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I do not have a picture unfortunately but my cousin has a small shop. He uses a small molded plastic swimming pool upside down. He cut a hole in the center and hooked a flexible tube to it down to his smoke eater. They have the smoke eater on wheels with a frame up to hold the pool. That way they can move it around the shop and adjust the height to fit the job.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
I have a mezzanine above my welding bench.

Since this pic, my neighbor gave me an old squirrel cage fan,,
slightly larger than a typical furnace fan. It is old, but, runs nice.

The fan sets at the edge of that upper area, and is pointed out the garage door.
When welding, I just plug in that fan, EVERYTHING goes right out the door.

Oh, yea, when it is time to "sweep" the shop,,,
I turn on that fan,, crank up the leaf blower,,, the shop is C L E A N !!

I would not use a leaf blower in the shed without that fan,
everything would be covered in dust. :flag_of_truce:

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I do not have a picture unfortunately but my cousin has a small shop. He uses a small molded plastic swimming pool upside down. He cut a hole in the center and hooked a flexible tube to it down to his smoke eater. They have the smoke eater on wheels with a frame up to hold the pool. That way they can move it around the shop and adjust the height to fit the job.
Interesting concept. Thank for the idea.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a mezzanine above my welding bench.

Since this pic, my neighbor gave me an old squirrel cage fan,,
slightly larger than a typical furnace fan. It is old, but, runs nice.

The fan sets at the edge of that upper area, and is pointed out the garage door.
When welding, I just plug in that fan, EVERYTHING goes right out the door.

Oh, yea, when it is time to "sweep" the shop,,,
I turn on that fan,, crank up the leaf blower,,, the shop is C L E A N !!

I would not use a leaf blower in the shed without that fan,
everything would be covered in dust. :flag_of_truce:
That would be nice way to clean the garage. Except for the winter, then all your heat goes out the fan.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts