Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last year I purchased the wallenstein bxm32 and running it with a 1025r. I'm concerned about the PTO brake on the tractor as the PTO continues to spin for a few seconds after disengaging the tractor at low RPMs. The wood chipper rotor weight is 70lbs, seems like a lot of inertia for the PTO brake.

Should I be adding a overrun pto clutch, similar to the one below. I've asked the dealer and they thought I'd be okay without; of course they're not paying the repair bill.

Pretty sure most farm equipment that have large inertia loads (haybine, hay baler and etc ), have a built in overrun clutch.
What are other members doing - am I just over thinking it? The cost of this overrun clutch is $100 cdn; I assume the PTO clutch would be much more. :)

Household hardware Auto part Cylinder Metal Automotive wheel system

·
Administrator
20,998 Posts
I see no downside to them other than having to cut the PTO shaft that much shorter.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
I have one similar I use on my 2025R with the rotary cutter and hay tedder, both keep quite a bit of inertia after the PTO is shut off. I don’t know if it helps but it definitely doesn’t hurt. The only watch out is that the attachment keeps running even after the PTO is shut off so be extra careful around moving shafts and cutters.

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
I have the same one........fantastic for the chipper ,Blower and brush mower.

The ability to remove it with one hand is great.

With the quick hith all my drivelines have penciled out perfect . They were cut in some cases by the previous owner.

Most tillers I've bought had driveshafts that were borderline too short so this ORC fixes that issue in a snap.

I've found no downside yet and have no desire to deal with replacing my pto brake.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
I use the same one as well, added a quick hitch at the same time, which eliminated the drive shaft length issue.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I'm surprised those chippers and blowers don't have free wheel. My Maschio flail mower has free wheel built in. That thing spins a good minute after the PTO is shut off.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Last year I purchased the wallenstein bxm32 and running it with a 1025r. I'm concerned about the PTO brake on the tractor as the PTO continues to spin for a few seconds after disengaging the tractor at low RPMs. The wood chipper rotor weight is 70lbs, seems like a lot of inertia for the PTO brake.

Should I be adding a overrun pto clutch, similar to the one below. I've asked the dealer and they thought I'd be okay without; of course they're not paying the repair bill.

Pretty sure most farm equipment that have large inertia loads (haybine, hay baler and etc ), have a built in overrun clutch.
What are other members doing - am I just over thinking it? The cost of this overrun clutch is $100 cdn; I assume the PTO clutch would be much more. :)

View attachment 808250
I had been wondering the same thing I couldn’t really find anything too easily and hadn’t gotten around to more research. I just got a chipper and didn’t even know about or think about the wear on the PTO brake. I’ll check out the one in your link; thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
Tator
16,527 Posts
I'm surprised those chippers and blowers don't have free wheel. My Maschio flail mower has free wheel built in. That thing spins a good minute after the PTO is shut off.
I was thinking the same thing, my flail spins for a good bit after I disengage.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I see no downside to them other than having to cut the PTO shaft that much shorter.
Cutting the shaft is easy. Takes 5 minutes. Getting those guards off and on however is a 2 hour job.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I was thinking the same thing, my flail spins for a good bit after I disengage.
If it has free wheel, the drum spins for a minute but the PTO stops immediately.

·
Premium Member
Tator
16,527 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Stupid question; but before I order that one in the link; safe to assume PTO shafts are a standardized size and that fits/works on my 4066R?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
For those who have the below style of ORC - what's the approx. length btw the quick pin slots? just curious as I can't find any spec's on it.

Automotive lighting Camera accessory Cameras & optics Font Auto part

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
Should be all the same. 6 spline x 1 & 3/8th"....iirc

Old 2N & 9N were a touch smaller.

There are Fine spline pto"s but they are 1000 rpm iirc........They do that so you don't get confused is the theory I'm guessing

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
QUOTE="BT_1360, post: 3730834, member: 131943"]
For those who have the below style of ORC - what's the approx. length btw the quick pin slots? just curious as I can't find any spec's on it.

View attachment 808279
[/QUOTE]

4 & 1/2" +-...its about the same as I match hitch

·
Registered
388 Posts
Should be all the same. 6 spline x 1 & 3/8th"....iirc

Old 2N & 9N were a touch smaller.

There are Fine spline pto"s but they are 1000 rpm iirc........They do that so you don't get confused is the theory I'm guessing
Thanks! I’ll order it then. You had mentioned on my thread about my new WC88 about getting an ORC and I was trying to figure out what to get!

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
They make a pin on type but the one linked here is the Handiest.
On & off in seconds.
Has grease fittings.

·
Registered
388 Posts
They make a pin on type but the one linked here is the Handiest.
On & off in seconds.
Has grease fittings.
Yea I was only finding the ones with pins and I didn’t like that option!

Reactions: theduke

·
Registered
39 Posts
Cutting the shaft is easy. Takes 5 minutes. Getting those guards off and on however is a 2 hour job.
Remove the guards permanently and that problem is solved. Although there is a new issue created of course, and the safety police will be along shortly to issue citations for it.

·
Registered
55JD50 57JD420C 57JD420U 55JD40W 66JD110 73JD140H3 2006JDGX335 44JDBO 45JDBR 85JD750
407 Posts
Three years ago my nephew was brush hogging our two track with the 420u when it started to rain very hard. He tried to quickly get into a higher gear and because the brush hog was spinning when he dumped the clutch it broke gears in the transmission. $2k later we all learned a valuable lesson. It is one of the most valuable attachments you can buy.
Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Automotive tire Automotive exterior
Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle

1 - 20 of 21 Posts