Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I use a grass seed called Country Boy Lawn Mix. I get it at my farm bureau. Works good, but very expensive. It comes in a sack, no amount instructions on it. How much for overseeding? Is there a general rule of thumb?

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Have you asked the folks at the Farm Bureau? Or asked them where or who to get info on it ?

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
It depends on the exact variety but the place I get my seed shows ~4 lbs / 1000 sqft for overseeding as a general rule. (1st State Seed in Newark, DE)

I am usually using a little more than that as I am reseeding some bare spots that develop as well as overseeding established grass areas.

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
By hand.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I am interested in this thread! BUT... how do you account for watering the overseed? If it doesn't rain enough won't the seedlings die? Does it have to rain right after you put the seed down? I can't water my whole yard, and I don't want to wast my money.

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
I am interested in this thread! BUT... how do you account for watering the overseed? If it doesn't rain enough won't the seedlings die? Does it have to rain right after you put the seed down? I can't water my whole yard, and I don't want to wast my money.
Anytime I over seeded I timed it with the weather.Where I'm at fall is the best,you get more on off rain and heavy dew.You want to plan it so 7-10 days out you'll have rain in the forecast.Most seed will germinate in 14 days.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts