Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Owning land can come with unwanted "guests". After having little luck catching big wood rats with traps I came up with this idea. It's like a rat trap garage, it covers the trap on the top and three sides so the rat can only enter at the business end of the trap. It's never been set off without having a rat in it. I use a shinny stainless steel wood screw secured to the bait plate and cut a little apple to screw onto the that for the bait.

Attachments

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,815 Posts
I've used this for years. Don't know what happens, it gets gone and I never see any rats any more.

havocpellets125.jpg

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That is a BIG rat
And that's the smaller of the two I got last week.
We had tried fabric softener sheets which was supposed to work for keeping them out of an area (under the seat of my dozer), the rat gathered them up and made a nest out of them!
Then we used poison bait but it was discouraged because birds and predators get the dead poisoned rodent and then they die. Now our two cats take care of most of the rodent problem but we have several out buildings that are closed up most of the time, the cats can't get in but the rodents do, then the rat trap 3000 comes into play.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
I've used this for years. Don't know what happens, it gets gone and I never see any rats any more.

View attachment 21735
The problem with poisons is that a) that dead animal could end up anywhere, and STINK while it rots, b) you don't know what might end up eating that rat and end up being poisoned itself, and c) you have no way to keep animals OTHER than rats from eating it. Of course, the -reason- that rat poison works is because they lack the ability to vomit it up as it starts to make them sick like another animal could.

The best "have-a-heart" trap out there is the one with a cold steel bar that smacks them on the back of the head. It's over before there's any cruelty or suffering.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I also use a rat trap in a box......

I use an enclosed box with a 2" diameter hole in the door on the business end of the trap....
This way I can keep grew squirrels out and still get the chipmunks under the bird feeder....
Chipmunks can be as or more destructive as rats in buildings, equipment and such....
I have 0 tolerance for them here... As they have caused costly repair problems with machinery....

I also learned to tie down traps with a strong cord... If something wants to consume
the critter in the trap, that is OK..... Just don't drag the trap away where I can't find it..

Good hunting.....

·
Registered
3,689 Posts

View attachment 21735
I'm a big fan of poison also. I don't worry about things eating the poisoned rats. Dogs and cats don't really eat them...they just play with them a little. Anything else is like pissing on a forest fire.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I've got a problem with mice in the barn, I've been hesitant to use poison or spring traps because the goats and chickens could get into them. I've tried the glue traps that get folded into a tunnel, they are not working, the mice have actually chewed them up. I'll have to try a variation of your trap in a box method.

Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk 4

·
Administrator
18,299 Posts
I've got a problem with mice in the barn, I've been hesitant to use poison or spring traps because the goats and chickens could get into them. I've tried the glue traps that get folded into a tunnel, they are not working, the mice have actually chewed them up. I'll have to try a variation of your trap in a box method.

Google "bucket mouse trap" for a really inexpensive idea.

Reactions: Duke Snyder

·
Registered
3,689 Posts

Nothing beats a couple of cats for a barn. They will completely erradicate mice from a barn. I'm not really a cat person, but we have 4 barn cats, and it works pretty well.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Nothing beats a couple of cats for a barn. They will completely erradicate mice from a barn. I'm not really a cat person, but we have 4 barn cats, and it works pretty well.
We have a greyhound that doesn't get along with cats, so that won't work. We have enough trouble keeping her off the neighbor's cats. Our barn cat ran off and now lives with the neighbors.
The bucket trick won't do either, wifey doesn't like to see them swimming. She found one in the goat's water bucket and freaked out. That's why I like the box idea, it will keep noses and beaks out of the traps, and the mice out of sight.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Google "bucket mouse trap" for a really inexpensive idea.
I made one of these completely by accident....

My house has central air and the little "sump well" for the condenser is mounted at about a 4' height on the side of the furnace / blower. One of the ears that mounts the plastic well to the furnace broke and it was hanging at an angle letting all of the water from the condenser simply run out into the 5 gallon pail that happened to be sitting directly underneath (and then out onto the floor once the pail was full).

It just so happened that the pail captured a mouse (with no bait) before it filled with water.

·
Premium Member
1,788 Posts
I also use a rat trap in a box......

I use an enclosed box with a 2" diameter hole in the door on the business end of the trap....
This way I can keep grew squirrels out and still get the chipmunks under the bird feeder....
Chipmunks can be as or more destructive as rats in buildings, equipment and such....
I have 0 tolerance for them here... As they have caused costly repair problems with machinery....

I also learned to tie down traps with a strong cord... If something wants to consume
the critter in the trap, that is OK..... Just don't drag the trap away where I can't find it..

Good hunting.....
Have you tried the diving board of death for your chipmunks?

Fill a bucket about 1/2 with water, cover the top of the water with a nice layer of sunflower seeds (they float), make a ramp up the bucket and put some seeds at the top and along the ramp. They'll work their way to the top and jump into the bucket thinking it's just full of seeds and drown. My neighbor uses this method and catches a couple per week this way.

I just make sure to keep food sources for them out away from the house (but plenty stocked.) As long as the chippys aren't in my house, I leave them alone.

The little buggers have found a way into my attic somehow -caught one in a live trap a couple weeks ago. I had set the trap a year ago and had forgotten about it, but quickly remembered it when I went to put my boys to bed and I caught the whiff of death from their room (trap was in the outer walls under the shed roof.) Had to have been a pretty recent kill.

·
Premium Member
1,788 Posts

Diving board of death works on mice too....

1 - 20 of 23 Posts