Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I (anyone) can get this saw, factory refurbished, on Ebay, for $309 shipped all day long, from Husqvarna. To me, that seems to be an unbeatable price.
Currently, I have a Husqvarna 235 E-series, with a 14" bar. I've owned this little guy since 2011-12, and it's been a great little saw for what I've needed. Now, I have a need for a larger saw that can handle larger tasks. I've a couple good sized trees I need to deal with, and would like to have a bigger saw around for storm cleanup etc. Enter the 455.
How's your long term ownership of this saw been? Seems to be a good saw that will fill the roles I need it to. Priced right, decent power, good reputation, ease of ownership etc. etc.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I have a HUSQ 455 rancher. It's a mans saw for sure. More than enough power. It is heavy but all big saws are.

The only problem I had was the gas line coming off the tank. It's a line that connects to the primer bulb. No big deal.

I love the saw, I would buy it again hands down..

·
Registered
8,527 Posts
The 455 is a good model. I think that model is AYP made, but they are a solid mid range, mid power saw. It’s bigger and more powerful then a 235, I think it has a bit more plastic, it weighs more too but it’s not a heavyweight.

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
For the money it's a solid choice but I would not consider it a "good" saw nor a big one.
It is only 55cc and 3.49 horsepower @13.2 lbs powerhead weight and $439.00 new.
My Stihl 261c is 50cc and 4.0 hp @10.8 lbs. and about $550 new.

Some folks like to spend their money as wisely as they can and if they need a tool they shop carefully and get just enough tool to suit their needs. That seems appropriate.

Others derive enjoyment from purchasing higher quality than they may actually need and likely feel that this enhances the experience of using the tools, and should lead to longer lifespans due to being constructed for commercial use.

My recommendations would likely double the price you would pay but you do get what you pay for with chainsaws.
If you already have a nice small limbing saw I would at least jump up to a professional grade 60cc machine, usually considered a "medium" sized saw.
Husqvarna 562XP, Stihl 362CM or save a few bucks with an Echo CS-620P.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
For the money it's a solid choice but I would not consider it a "good" saw nor a big one.
It is only 55cc and 3.49 horsepower @13.2 lbs powerhead weight and $439.00 new.
My Stihl 261c is 50cc and 4.0 hp @10.8 lbs. and about $550 new.

Some folks like to spend their money as wisely as they can and if they need a tool they shop carefully and get just enough tool to suit their needs. That seems appropriate.

Others derive enjoyment from purchasing higher quality than they may actually need and likely feel that this enhances the experience of using the tools, and should lead to longer lifespans due to being constructed for commercial use.

My recommendations would likely double the price you would pay but you do get what you pay for with chainsaws.
If you already have a nice small limbing saw I would at least jump up to a professional grade 60cc machine, usually considered a "medium" sized saw.
Husqvarna 562XP, Stihl 362CM or save a few bucks with an Echo CS-620P.
Oh yeah, I'm aware of what i'm buying. If I had a need for a Pro grade saw, which I don't, I'd have an XP of some designation, for sure. For something that I'm going to use less than a handful of times a year, it's hard to justify 5-6-7-$800 to just be sitting around. Enter the $309 factory refurbed 455.
Now, I have looked at the Echo CS-590 but the price tag is $90 more (albeit, it's also 5cc larger, so more HP and RPM), and I've played around with them at Farm and Fleet, I just don't care for Echos start/stop/choke controls. Husky has nailed it with how easy theirs are to use. I think the cs-590 also comes with a .325 chain too, if I'm not mistaken (which I may be).

I'm just looking to hear from guys that have owned one (455) for decent amount of time, and get their thoughts on it. Even if it's not a Pro-grade saw, @ $309, you gotta admit that's tough to beat.

·
Registered
8,527 Posts
I tried not to upsell him, but I have a 346xp a ms260 competitor. I waited and got a good used one cheap. Yeehaw. The ms361 562xp are the next step, but even 14” logs are quickly cut by the 50cc pro saws. Mine outcuts much bigger ‘farm’ saws.

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
I did state that is was a good deal for the money and I understand your position. :hi:

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I tried not to upsell him, but I have a 346xp a ms260 competitor. I waited and got a good used one cheap. Yeehaw. The ms361 562xp are the next step, but even 14” logs are quickly cut by the 50cc pro saws. Mine outcuts much bigger ‘farm’ saws.
I don't doubt that one bit. I've watched a ton of vids on the XP's, and they freaking accelerate!! I'm constantly on the look out for a used one in reasonable distance from me, in the price range i'm comfortable with. But they are few and far between. I'm not in a huge hurry to buy, so I may stumble upon something better in the meantime.

Literally, I've made it this far with a 35cc 14" Husky :laugh: See my point?

·
Registered
8,527 Posts
I don't doubt that one bit. I've watched a ton of vids on the XP's, and they freaking accelerate!! I'm constantly on the look out for a used one in reasonable distance from me, in the price range i'm comfortable with. But they are few and far between. I'm not in a huge hurry to buy, so I may stumble upon something better in the meantime.

Literally, I've made it this far with a 35cc 14" Husky :laugh: See my point?
I looked for about a year then picked it up on July 4. Someone needed a motorcycle and needed $160. A 346xp or a model 61. I’ll take the orange one, I can be there 45minutes after getting your address.

I was sold on the 346 or 357, I found the 346 first and am happy. I have 2 trees on my lot, a 40’ x 8”pine and a 9’ x 1” maple. I help friends. I now also have an ms-290. I have used one a lot but it doesn’t have a job. I’m not knocking stihl, a 290 is farm model but for 3.5lbs it doesn’t have an advantage that overcomes that. It’s otherwise similar.

The trick on the 346 isn’t the acceleration, it’s having top rpm and going easy enough to keep it. The extra 2500 rpm over consumer/farm/ranch models is separating the wheat from the chaff the ms361/X62xp is where grunt also enters the occasion smoking the ms290 in the same weight.

If you don’t need a saw today and can do used I would hold out.

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
I have one. after a few years, I did have to set the oiler to high and it works really well now. Its powerful, light, and smooth. it works great if you get good chains for it.

·
Premium Member
7,666 Posts
Well SRG, I can only say one thing. You get what you pay for.

One question, why are there factory re-firb's?.....

But it is only $300, so what do you have to loose. It shouldn't take long to get that out of it. :lol:

FWIW, I am a chainsaw newbie. I have a MS-290 that I think is a pretty good saw, and I have done a lot of work with a $160 MS-170.

A while back in Montana I was cutting wood with my neighbor. His Husky was out cutting my Stihl by a long shot. He new two things that I didn't. 1) What a pro saw is worth. 2) How to sharpen a chain.

I've got #2 down pretty good.

#1 - well I am working on that one. I have a kidney for sale. :lol:

No, seriously...... A MS 462 C-M....... yeah, I'll do that.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, it is there best selling Chainsaw. I'm sure there's bound to be some that need fixed. Just like some brand new John Deere tractors have issues.

·
Registered
3,757 Posts
I don't have a 455, but I do have an 11 year old 445 that I bought from Lowes. The only issue I ever had was when I put a new spark plug in it and it seemed down on power, but I regapped it and it was fine. It's been through a lot, abused at hunting camp by less than stellar operators and all around the house and neighbors. I still use it quite a lot and will grab it before the 562 for small jobs because it's lighter and more nimble. So, I have a box store and a pro saw and both of them are great saws.

kMUAn-GmGMWXUcFU6NGTWjZUHjEXyBDJ-iNjaULIYonUdlmsze9plbYNAiNL9VDlz_XglgOCTOqquzz7ke3wMtF_EbfcR84f.jpg

·
Registered
207 Posts
Well, it is there best selling Chainsaw. I'm sure there's bound to be some that need fixed. Just like some brand new John Deere tractors have issues.
Exactly, I read reviews on just about anything I buy.. People return/complain things for the most silly reasons.. The 455 is a solid saw and plenty strong enough to handle a 12- 18 inch tree with no problems.

Plenty of saw for $300.. Way more saw than a lot of folks need..

I understand you're not going into the logging business and need an 044. But I don't doubt for one second the 455 would do just fine on a logging crew topping/cutting trees every day..

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
I loved mine up until the oiler for the bar quit working. Replaced it, the tube, worm drive gear, and oil filter and it still won't oil the bar. That is until I shut the thing off, then it leaves a huge puddle of oil wherever you sit it. So I got a Stihl 291.

Don't worry I haven't given up on the husky yet. But I'm about to....

·
Premium Member
7,666 Posts
The 455 looks like a good all round occasional use saw, kind of like my MS290 has been.

No doubt the 455 is a good saw for what you are looking for.

MSRP is $440. The E-Bay version is $130 less....

1) So, what kind of warranty / return process does the E-Bay seller offer?

2) Are you going to be able to work the saw within that time frame to give it a good check out?

I never make out in deals like this so that is why I am asking.

·
Premium Member
7,460 Posts
Also there is Jonsered CS 2255 for $250. Said to be same saw as husqvarna 455, just red plastic and different wrap bar angle.
If I did not have FIVE Husqvarnas, I would get one, I may still get one :flag_of_truce:Since my 55 Rancher is broke (like me), my 36 and 257 are 25 years old (wish I was, leaving only two to take up the slack

·
Premium Member
3,948 Posts
I bought a 55 rancher years ago when they first came out, with a 20" bar and I do file the chain gauge down a little for a better bite and I will tell you, my saw has been used as a professional saw in my past 30 year business and I retired from that 16 years ago. I was a general contractor/builder that took the property and handed the customer the keys when we were done. that saw along with my others (we skidded out a lot of oak and maple over all those years) never crapped out and anyone who calls this saw a kids saw is crazy. This saw will start on two pulls, it is a bear to pull at times, put your foot right on the bottom hand protector and push the chain guard in (I just started it last weekend to cut up a couple trees to install a new road and it hadn't been started in over a year, just fill with new gas/oil and off you go). I have a husky dealer not two miles from my house and I do have a lot of Husky equipment, in my opinion, you cannot go wrong buying this saw especially for 3 bills. Use a good bar and chain, keep it sharp and you will be a happy guy. If you file the chain gauge down just be careful with it. I'm impatient sometimes!

·
Registered
152 Posts
I have had a 455 for 6 or 7 years. It has served me well and has required no repairs other than a change of a fuel filter. I do not cut as much wood as I used to, do to health reasons, and use my 240 more than the 455 now. I originally cut between 10 and 12 cords a year with it. I think it would serve your needs well.

Rich

·
Registered
164 Posts
I've had mine for a few years now. Absolutely no problems and always starts within a couple of pulls no matter how long it sat.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts