Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody else make Oyster Stew for the holidays? I'm having my brother and family over tonite, and I traditionally make a batch.
I bought $100.00 worth of oysters, and will probably eat $50.00 worth raw before hand.
I love them on a cracker with a little Tabasco.

·
Registered
10,295 Posts
Cajun Brown-Oysters Stew
Serves 8

3 pints oysters
1/2 cup oil
1/2 cup flour
1 cup onions, diced
1/2 cup celery, diced
1/4 cup bell peppers, diced
1/4 cup garlic, minced
1 1/2 quarts oyster liquid or chicken stock
1/4 cup green onions, sliced
1/4 cup parsley, chopped
salt and cracked black pepper to taste
dash of hot sauce

In a heavy-bottomed dutch oven, heat liquid over medium-high heat. Add flour and, using a wire whisk, stir constantly until dark brown roux is achieved. Do not scorch. Add onions, celery, bell peppers and garlic. Sauté 3-5 minutes or until vegetables are wilted. Add one pint of oysters and oyster liquid from 2 containers. Add the oyster or chicken stock, a little at a time, to achieve a stew-like consistency. Bring to a rolling boil, reduce to simmer and cook 25-30 minutes. Season with salt, pepper and hot sauce. Add green onions and parsley. Add remaining 2 pints of oysters and adjust seasonings if necessary. Cook 5 additional minutes and serve over rice or puff pastry shells.

·
Administrator
20,363 Posts
I added this to the cookbook. Sounds good. Are you sending samples?:fed:

·
Super Moderator
7,914 Posts
When it comes to oysters I usually start with a bushel basket. A little special sauce. Serves one!!

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Being a Carolina boy originally, I love them roasted over a fire. Drive 4 pieces of rebar into the ground and build a fire in the middle. Throw a piece of sheet metal on top of the rebar that is sticking out of the ground and you have an oyster roasting machine. Shovel the oysters onto the sheet metal, cover with burlap and spray with the hose. Once they pop, shovel onto a sheet of plywood set on saw horses and go to town. Saltines, homemade cocktail sauce, tabasco...Mmmm

Anyway, that's my version of oyster paradise. I'll have to try this oyster stew, sounds good.

·
GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC)
8,558 Posts
I have never eaten oyster stew. Sounds like I'm missing out. I love anything that goes with tabasco/hot sauce!
Is there anything that *doesn't* go with Tabasco Sauce?? :unknown:

If so, I don't think I have found it yet!! :fed:

·
Administrator
20,363 Posts

·
GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC)
8,558 Posts
Chocolate and Vanilla Gelato. :)

Actually, Tabasco goes with chocolate!!

But it might not go with the vanilla gelato. But I might have to try it and make sure! :mocking:

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Actually, Tabasco goes with chocolate!!

But it might not go with the vanilla gelato. But I might have to try it and make sure! :mocking:
Tisk, tisk. No. A very good chocolate gelato doesn't need anything. If it is truly good, it will stand in its own. :)

·
Premium Member
4,637 Posts
I love oysters, but getting them fresh here in the Heartland is another matter. Never eat them raw any more after a couple of very bad batches. Great fried. Last good ones I ate were in Calabash N.C. Was raised on oyster stew, but all Mom had access to was canned oysters. Her recipe was simple: can of oysters into sauce pan, add butter, salt and pepper and simmer for a few minutes, add milk and heat almost to a boil. Simmer for a few and serve.

The recipe posted by the OP looks really good, and the tin roof method sounds fantastic...but alas, not much chance of ever experiencing such a delight...mountain oysters maybe..but not the real thing.

·
Registered
10,295 Posts
Sweet & Spicy Fried Oysters

Here's another for the Oyster Lovers.:good2:

3 tablespoons mayonnaise
3 tablespoons "Tabasco brand Sweet & Spicy pepper sauce"
12 Blue Point oysters, shucked
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 large egg
1 cup Panko bread crumbs
1 cup peanut or vegetable oil
Kosher or other coarse salt

Make 4 servings.............

Combine the mayonnaise and 1 tablespoon of the Tabasco Sweet & Spicy sauce in a small bowl and mix well; refrigerate dip until ready to serve.

Place flour in a small bowl. Place bread crumbs in another small bowl. Beat egg with remaining 2 tablespoons Tabasco Sweet & Spicy sauce in a third small bowl and set aside. Dredge oysters in flour, shake off excess, and dip in egg mixture; shake off excess egg and completely coat oysters in bread crumbs. Place on a plate and refrigerate while oil heats.

Heat oil to 325°F in a heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Add breaded oysters and fry until golden brown, about 1 to 2 minutes. Drain on paper towels, sprinkle with coarse salt, and serve immediately with dip.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts