Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are they worth the additional cost? Looks like about a $500-$800 premium on an 18' or 20' car/equipment hauler around here vs Big Tex or Longhorn, which are our other 2 omnipresent brands. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,708 Posts
Are they worth the additional cost? Looks like about a $500-$800 premium on an 18' or 20' car/equipment hauler around here vs Big Tex or Longhorn, which are our other 2 omnipresent brands. Thanks.

To me yes. But that is probably 10% which is a fair amount. I have a 14K dump and a 22+6 deck over. Both are excellent and I have long forgotten about the extra they cost.

·
Registered
913 Posts
I've been shopping for an 18 ft bumper pull equipment trailer for about a year now. There's not a PJ dealer close enough to me to make it a comfortable day trip to look at one.

I do like the Big Tex, particularly the mega ramp option. The last Big Tex dealer I went to told me that Big Tex now owns PJ. Sure enough, American Trailer Works, the maker of PJ, had merged about a year ago with the company that owns the Big Tex brand. Both are Texas-based companies, so a merger makes some sense. Big Tex had been previously bought the year before by another company.

As near as I can tell, Big Tex, CM, PJ, Carry-on, Circle J, and some other private store brands are all now part of the same company. Same management, different labels. I suppose that means that all the warranty decisions ultimately are made by the same people for all these brands, so any posted gripes about warranty coverage being better or worse with a particular brand may not be pertinent if they are over a year old.

In case you haven't searched you tube, there are many trailer brand comparison videos posted there. They do tend to be biased because they are largely made by one company to compare its trailer favorably to a competitor.

·
Registered
741 Posts
I've been very pleased with my 22' PJ tilt and 12' utility. I don't use them every day but they both perform flawlessly and I think they're very well made.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,741 Posts

Don't know if Hudson brothers sells trailers near you, but something to think of if they do. I have a deck over gooseneck built out of square tubing at the gooseneck. Makes a big difference walking btwn the truck and trailer. All other brands use I beam on the neck so there is a huge angle gusset preventing walk through easier. Hard to explain unless you look at it.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
In the pic you can see the much smaller gusset because of the square tubing used in the neck as opposed to the typical I beam most trailer used today.

Never mind. Just went to the website. They no longer build with square tubing at the neck. Shame because that was a nice feature. My older Hudson is built like a tank. 5k weight empty on a 16' flat, 5 ' dove gooseneck. 10k hauling capacity. Two 7500k dexter axles.

Attachments

·
Registered
649 Posts
I looked for a long time price vs quality I have a utility trailer because that works for me I use it to haul many things. for the money, I think it is better built than most.

Doug

Attachments

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Thanks for the opinions. Here is a link for the particular one that I'm looking at. I contacted them for a quote, so hopefully I'll see what they will do. It's 4.5 hours away. http://www.trailercountry.com/83x20-pj-utility-5200lb-axles-16-dovetail-4-hd-fold-up-gate-spare-tire-mount-rdKf|AXb.html

Looks like a nice trailer. I like the removable sides! That will come in handy loading over the side, forklift/loader with forks. Rear Jack's are nice so you don't lift the rear of the truck loading heavy equipment. Can't see how the gate latches to the trailer, gate does look sturdier than most others.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Looks like a nice trailer. I like the removable sides! That will come in handy loading over the side, forklift/loader with forks. Rear Jack's are nice so you don't lift the rear of the truck loading heavy equipment. Can't see how the gate latches to the trailer, gate does look sturdier than most others.
It has pretty much everything I was looking for. Wanted a ramp for the ztrak but enough support for the tractor. I like the sides as well, and the ready rail looks like it could be handy too. The $ looks decent from what I've seen them going for around here without the options this one has.

·
Registered
4,133 Posts
I am also looking at trailers since I need a bigger one. I couldn't find the information on the PJ Trailers website about the load capacity of the loading gates and ramps, so I emailed them and got this response.

Good afternoon Carl, here are the load ratings for the ramp/gate options available with our utility trailers;

Slide-in ramps-7,000 lbs
Split gate-2,500 lbs
Fold-up ramps-7,000 lbs
Fold-up gate-3,000 lbs
Fold-in gate-3,000 lbs
Heavy duty fold-up gate-10,000 lbs
Bi-fold gate-3,000 lbs
Split heavy duty gate-10,000 lbs
Side mount ATV ramps-1,500 lbs

Hope this helps,
Cody Booker
Retail Sales Coordinator
[email protected]
Office-(903-785-6898)
Direct-(903-699-0225)
Cell-(903-249-1118)

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am also looking at trailers since I need a bigger one. I couldn't find the information on the PJ Trailers website about the load capacity of the loading gates and ramps, so I emailed them and got this response.

Good afternoon Carl, here are the load ratings for the ramp/gate options available with our utility trailers;

Slide-in ramps-7,000 lbs
Split gate-2,500 lbs
Fold-up ramps-7,000 lbs
Fold-up gate-3,000 lbs
Fold-in gate-3,000 lbs
Heavy duty fold-up gate-10,000 lbs
Bi-fold gate-3,000 lbs
Split heavy duty gate-10,000 lbs
Side mount ATV ramps-1,500 lbs

Hope this helps,
Cody Booker
Retail Sales Coordinator
[email protected]
Office-(903-785-6898)
Direct-(903-699-0225)
Cell-(903-249-1118)

Wow thanks for that information! 10k pounds will cut it for sure.

·
Premium Member
2,044 Posts
Wow thanks for that information! 10k pounds will cut it for sure.

As anything goes, capacities need to be looked at carefully. A friend of mine has a PJ UL8316 trailer https://www.pjtrailers.com/trailers/ul-83-inch-tandem-axle-channel-utility with 2' dovetail and heavy duty ramp gate. https://www.pjtrailers.com/options/heavy-duty-gate/ It is heavy duty but 10,000 lb. I don't think so!! I do know this, it easily handles a 3500 lb. compact tractor. It all depends how you put the load on it.

That said, PJ trailers are really nice. If I get a new one, it will most likely be a PJ.

Their ready rail is really nice. https://www.pjtrailers.com/ready-rail/
I would also consider the cold weather wiring harness https://www.pjtrailers.com/options/cold-weather-wiring/

·
Registered
741 Posts
That's a really nice model. I didn't even realize my PJ utility had removable sides until I had it a couple of weeks. Not only are they handy for side loading, they double as ramps.

·
Registered
773 Posts
I own a "Superior". Trailer. Very well built. Removeable ramp. Except the tires are magnets for nails.
It has two 3500axles but load is limited by the tires...Some manufacturers quote the Gross weight and never mention the Load limit.
I have been looking at several car/equipment trailers.

Check the tire ratings!

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok, I have probably a dumb trailering (with brakes) newbie question. I am putting a deposit down on the PJ to hold it until I can get up there, probably next Friday. My truck has a 7 pin connection, but no brake controller and I might not be able to get one installed between now and then. I will obviously be hauling it back empty, but will there be any issues with the brakes (i.e. brakes locking up) with bringing it back controller-less, or will they simply not function? I definitely intend to get a controller, just going to be in a time crunch.

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
Ok, I have probably a dumb trailering (with brakes) newbie question. I am putting a deposit down on the PJ to hold it until I can get up there, probably next Friday. My truck has a 7 pin connection, but no brake controller and I might not be able to get one installed between now and then. I will obviously be hauling it back empty, but will there be any issues with the brakes (i.e. brakes locking up) with bringing it back controller-less, or will they simply not function? I definitely intend to get a controller, just going to be in a time crunch.
Simply not work until you get the brake controller.

Sent from my Samsung Note using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
We mix and match trucks and trailers all the time with some having brake controllers and others not but it makes no difference to our trailers. The brakes either have the signal from the controller to work or they don't. If there is no signal from the controller then the brakes on trailer simply won't work. That's our experience anyways.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have a 12-foot pj dump trailer that is fantastic. I have had it for a number of years and use it largely for firewood. I have never had a problem with hydraulics, or anything else.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts