Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if a P218 will bolt up into a slightly older b43g 318? Found one for very cheap and happen to have a P218 laying around. Just looking to see if it'll bolt up. I mainly care about the drive shaft and the wiring harness. Anyone know if they're compatible? Or would I need a newer p series harness as well.

·
Registered
636 Posts
It should bolt to the tractor engine pan exactly, but you will have to cut out for the starter. Electrical should match up exactly. Drive shaft might be different in length. PTO should be a exact match also.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
The P-series engines use a starter mounted solenoid whereas the B-series engines use a separate solenoid mounted on the firewall. This will require a rerouting of the large positive cable from the battery and the purple wire that goes to the coil of the solenoid. These are very minor differences from a harness point of view...

As Russ points out the solenoid mounted on the starter will need a clearance in the tractor frame, and the length of the driveshafts are different for the two engines. You can use the older shaft from the tractor with the B engine by also retaining the B flywheel...but that means swapping the engine tins as well.

Chuck

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
If it’s a late 86 b43 it will have a solenoid shift starter so you should be good to go on that front.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I put P220 into a 316. Only issues I had was the starter solenoid (swapped to a different style starter) and the driveshaft length. I had a guy make an adapter for the driveshaft.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts