Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Newbie to posting on this forum ....

I have a 1981 JD 317 which was repowered in 1995 with an Onan P218. It's been a great tractor for years. I started hearing a rapping noise when the tractor would be on a side slope. Couldn't figure it out, but sounded like some sheet metal banging when the tractor wasn't level. A couple years go by. Now I'm mowing over the weekend and the rattling seems to be better than it used to be, and I'm thinking that's awesome! Then, I notice blue smoke coming out the front of the tractor ..... Uh Oh. :confused: I figure I'm smoking the mower drive belt, quickly shut off the mower, and head for the garage. I notice I'm leaving a solid trail of engine oil :cray:. I investigate and figure it's a blown crank seal at the front or rear, but those look dry. Crawl under it and see the drive shaft U-Joint near the flywheel is way beyond worn out .... Oops. Obviously this was the rapping noise I was hearing. As it's sitting in the garage, it has literally bled ALL the oil out of the motor. I'm going to pull the motor out this weekend and investigate.

Now my question: Has anyone seen or heard of a worn out drive shaft vibrating and causing the oil pan to crack? My chances that just the pan cracked or do you think the block might be cracked too?

Oh yeah, the good news to this bad story ...... I bought a 1987 JD 318 the day after this happened because I can't be without a running 300 series!!!!

Thanks, Tony

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Or just look at this copy of the manual...its the Onan version, not the Deere CTM2.

View attachment 30187

I had a 317 with the P218 Onan and that was a great repower done by the Deere dealerships at one point. The PC1698 even has a parts breakdown for this engine...
View attachment 30188

Hope these help.

Chuck
Now THAT is a complete assembly breakdown! Thank you very much.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Got the motor out:

Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire Tire

Here's how the bottom of the pan looked before I cleaned it up:

Auto part Engine Automotive engine part

Here's the pan after I cleaned it up and added some oil:

Hand Wood Architecture Shadow Wheel

Notice the drips:

Auto part Metal

The good news is that everything above the pan looked dry and clean so I have my fingers crossed that a new pan will have me back in business.
I've put a new drive shaft into the tractor already, everything else on the tractor is great. Now to find a good P218G pan ......

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Installed the new oil pan on my motor. Had to modify the engine mounting plate to allow me to plumb in an oil drain since the new pan did not have a bottom plug like my old one.

Metal

Installed the motor back into the tractor, crossed my fingers, and fired it up. Wow! With the new drive shaft installed she sure runs smooth now. No oil leaks at all.

It's fixed and runs so good that now I don't know whether I'm going to keep my 317, 318, or both ..... :thumbup1gif:

A sincere thank you to Chuck for the technical information. Really helped me out!

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Keep them both, of course!

The Onan in the 317 is a great set-up...only missing the power steering when comparing it to the 318 in terms of basic functionality. Rear attachments do not interchange -- but the front ones do.

Here is the 317 w/Onan that passed through my herd some time ago...
Land vehicle Vehicle Tractor Lawn Motor vehicle

Chuck

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nice 317. Here's one of the reasons I got mine back in 1995 ..... Boy that 49 blower will really move the snow! The pile is twice as tall as the tractor.

Snow Winter Motor vehicle Vehicle Geological phenomenon

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.