Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in need of a pick up coil for my P218. I call it the magneto and some others call it a pick up coil. It lives by the flywheel and reacts to the magnets on the flywheel. Can someone help me find a good place to buy one? Also I do not have the part number either, that could be helpful too.

Thanks, Mark

·
Registered
1,059 Posts

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Mark,

The ignition module is triggered by a magnet all right, but it is a ring that fits close to the crankshaft extension and is keyed to a 'tail' on the flywheel Woodruff key. Deere recommends changing this rotor when the module is changed as shown in this illustration from the manual. Replace the little insulation part if it is damaged.
Ignition module, ring and condenser should all be replaced at the same time..jpg

Here is what the module looks like mounted just behind the stator which you will find directly under the flywheel.
Onan ingition module.JPG

...and here is the ring.
old vs new rotor.jpg

When you are searching on-line for parts, remember that the Onan/Cummins number is just the Deere number with the HE prefix deleted. Therefore the module is 166-0785 and the rotor is 166-0767.

Chuck

·
Registered
1,691 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for this great info
My original prob was that the machine just shut off one day like it ran out of gas. I checked the spark and the only spark i ever got was when i turned the key off and on. It would spark once each time i turned the key one position to on and then again when i turned the key to the off position.
Thanks again!!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Another thing
I imagine that i could use a piece of paper as a shim for spacing between the magnet and the pick up?

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
No need, the ignition module and the rotor ring are self positioning, and the gap is not critical...it is the rotation angle of the ring that matters, and that is set by the tail of the key in the crankshaft notch.

Chuck

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had a junk 318 that i pulled the engine and swapped out the rotor ring and pick up module. It fired right up. Next i pulled the carb apart and cleaned it up as well. Lots of debris and dirt in bottom. It runs like a champ. Thanks for your help. You made it a lot easier.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts